Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone ever try a kite and skimboard combination???

forum for kitesurfers

Anyone ever try a kite and skimboard combination???

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:27 pm

Could be interesting possibilities...kinda like a wake skate maybe but id say it would be all down wind??
Marty.

airbourne_oakie
Rare Poster

Postby airbourne_oakie » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:54 pm

I saw a guy on hayling doing this on one real lightwind day. Looked fun, but it was only a real downwind run (long walk back!)

martyc
Rare Poster

Postby martyc » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:07 pm

Cool...was he catching small waves??..or just riding the flat?
Cheers,
Marty.

airbourne_oakie
Rare Poster

Postby airbourne_oakie » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:29 pm

Just riding flat. At low tides we get some really shallow water, guess it must have been 3-4 inches deep.

Spencer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Spencer » Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:07 pm

At this spring's Wadell Creek Kiteboard Clash (hard-core wave-riding event) two competitors were riding skimboards, and apparently did quite well. So, I guess people in Santa Cruz California are doing this.

Also, I think Flash got his start in the early 90's riding a skimboard with a small stunt kite on the beaches of Florida.

Spencer

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Kites:

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

ASP Stealth Custom Kiteboard 135cm 2013 Black
Fone HRD Lite Tech 137x42cm 2017
Core Fusion 2 139x43 2017
Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Underground Kipuna 5'8" Surfboard
Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surfboard
Alpine Foil Access V1 Foil and board
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:29 pm

I've done it with my victoria skimboard, it's pretty fun when the wind is light. I tried it once powered up as well, and i was able to go upwind and slide around, it's really fun for fooling around
try it!

kitesurfingdude
Rare Poster

Postby kitesurfingdude » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:42 pm

yip i`ve tried it.it was a bit choppy at the time so it kept going from under my feet.so i just lay down on it and buzzed about the place

Chris Barrs
Rare Poster

Skim board

Postby Chris Barrs » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:08 pm

Skim board can be really fun. I can go upwind with no problem. I have found that you can plane on a skimboard long before you can with a board that has fins. The problem comes when it gets windy. If you lose your edge, you basically have to jump off and start up again, or go downwind for a while. The board really slices through chop too.

When it is super light and I am afraid that I will be sitting at the beach waiting for wind I will throw it in my truck. I can go upwind before other guys can even stand up and go downwind on a regular board.

Very cool (only if nobody is on the beach) to trasition from water onto the beach/shorebreak and back out to the water. We have some pretty steep beaches here in Maui and it is almost like coming off the water onto the beach, hitting the lip and going back into the water. Kite control has to be spot on when doing this because you can't steer by edging the board when on the beach.

I have a more tear-drop shaped board than some designs, and the bottom is totally flat. I can even sit down on it and go upwind...kind of a stunt, but pretty fun if the water is flat.

-Chris

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:28 pm

I watched a Dominican with a thrashed old R3 and a boogieboard. He'd lay on his back...get his feet over the top...and power-up! He'd slide, and drive forward, like hell for about 20M with one rail buried...'till the foam would squirt out...and he'd do it again.

....last summer I also saw two guys locally with a boogieboard riding it like a skimboard (the Dominican was in deep water) with about a 3M open foil.
Straight downwind 'till they ate sand. Laughing like hell the whole time...

....I got a TOOBS boogieboard - the flip-tip, stand up model, where I put a non-skid deck on it to play with, but haven't had the chance to mess with it. I'm simply having too much fun with normal gear...or working.

Jim

Return to “Kitesurfing”