Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

!!! BEGINNERS. Accident in Naxos - No injuries.

forum for kitesurfers

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

!!! BEGINNERS. Accident in Naxos - No injuries.

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:46 am

Where do I start.

Was in Naxos for kiting last week and was shocked at the dickheads not using safety releases.

The wind was 5 - 8 bft gusting like a mofo, I was out with a 12 rhino and tanking like a trooper. Wind was cross on and my jumping was beachward.

While setting up for a large one, I looked behind to check upwindc and saw this little 14 yr old on a Gaastra 10m - You know who you are - 3 m behind me, I had 20 m of water left before riding the beach at its narrowest point.

I shook my head at thim and gestured erratically for him to bugger off away and he ignored me. The next thing I know, his kite crossed mine and the lines wrapped.

I released instantly, both the depower and the kite leash as I know what can happen in this situyation. Then i looked back to see the lad fighting to rid himself of his kite. When he managed to I shouted at him ALOT, and found out he was NOT WEARING A SAFETY!!!!!!!!

I asked if he knew what happened in Germany with this kind of situ a couple if years ago in Silke's terrible tradgedy and he confirmed the worst - he was fully aware and still not using a release. I ranted for 20 mins and he was lucky, had he been older . . . .

His dad came over and i told him to get his dangerous son off this water if no release was being used. His dad agreed, and told me he advised his son to use it and his son ignored him.

in the end we shook on it and let it go.

Next minute I see his kite coming down again, this time he crashed into a wind surfer and another kiter went over to him and pulled his release in order to let him know how the beach users felt. BRAVO to that guy.

Next !!!! his dad was connected to a 16m TORO and certainly didnt look like he knew what he was doing!!!!

These peaople endanger my life and others - GET EM OUT!!!!

Rant over.

Ron.
Last edited by EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

flashboarder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

they are everywhere...

Postby flashboarder » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:01 am

Difficult to get rid of these dangerous people...

But i know exactly how it fells. I was at the beach last week-end and there was a guy (quite beginner), riding overpowered, that would loose control every 5 minutes. He would go downwind like a bomb pointing right on us... ...with sometimes his kite crashing and sliding full speed on the water!

Our beaches are getting more crowded every day, so be careful and take care of yourself... (and don't forget that a few guys there on the water have no idea what safety means)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:15 am

don't forget, we started like that as well, but the water was emptier wehn we did.
So we just have to find solutions to make it safer and people more being aware of consequences.

I think instead of being angy about them, we should try to do everything that make their minds change, this will start with talking and stop with cutting lines.
Meaning we, the more experienced ones should take care about newbess and people who are riding like idiots.
Don't be shy, it is about our access and life, just go there and talk to them about what can happen.
Don't forget, the guys in the internet and in the forums, know a lot more than anyone just reading mags. We all know what can happen after reading about many accidents and problems.
We know - make sure they will know as well.
Watch your temper and be helpful and understanding,then we will be successful.

It is time to take actions and help in any direction we can.

I recently stopped a guy from going on the water: he had no QR and a leash that was attached with a knot in one flying line, the leash 2m long and the kite about 7m.....this will result in the death spiral!

5 minutes later he had a safety that would work and we told him first thing next day is to buy a QR. If not and we willsee himagain,he will not be allowed on the water.
After telling him many stories about what can happen, he completely understood and was VERY thankful about us approaching and helping him!

That's the way to go!

Greets
Toby

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:25 am

Toy - i agree but this kid could have killed himself. the kite was wrapped twice around mine. No way was I gonna be polite.

Sorry but he deserved a smack, he didnt get one and we did shake on it at the end. I consider my self to have been very restrained. Remember it was 15 - 28 knots. NO JOKE.

He thanked me for being restrained.

Oh when I started I used a QR from day 1.

Sushi
Rare Poster

Postby Sushi » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:10 pm

Hey Eddy, you're already back from Naxos ? Good to see nobody was really injured in the end.

Did you meet Wolf ? I did, we talked a bit and I even have a few pictures of him and me riding :)

Naxos is definitely NOT the right spot to learn kiting. Small beach with obstacles downwind, lots of traffic on the water, crowded area. It gets better early in the morning and in the evenings though, when the windsurfers are out of the water.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:37 pm

Hi Sushi,

Yes no one was hurt luckily but the potential for it was massive.
I think the surf club there should do alot more for the spot.

Wolf - yeh we talked alot, he said he had met you and spoke. Always good to meet nice people. Glad you enjoyed it. I have 6 rolls of 36 to develop, you will see them posted here soon.

Next year we will go again.

as for the windsurfers, there were a couple of moments but on the whole we avoided them well.

Did you see batiste ? man he did a 20 m jump in 8 bft with a 12m x3 - he has balls of iron.

mede
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Villa-Arcadia.com
Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa)
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa), the endless and windy beach in front of villa-arcadia.com
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vanguard 5.2 (firewire kitesurf edition), Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: villa-arcadia.com

Postby mede » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:44 pm

actually, sometimes, there are some beginners that are just ignorant but will see the point when you make it.

10 days ago, i was at lake silvaplana. everyone who has been there on a widy summer day knows that it is one of the most crowded places you could possibly imagine (that day about 60 kites on a very small surface).

so i was setting up my equipment when a guy i had seen being blown downwind was walking up the beach again. i helped him taking down the kite, and we started talking a bit.

The first thing i remarked was that he was wearing one of these ultra-dangerous, elastique leashes for the board that was maximum 1.5 meter long. So i asked him if he was conscious about the danger of the board hitting his head. (he was not wearing a helmet, btw.) He said no and asked me why this should be dangerous, finally, he had bought the board from the instructor of his kiteschool :roll: :roll: . I explained it to him, and he got the point quite well. i offered him my „dog-leash“, as i kite w/o boardleash now, and he gladly accepted to change the leash immediately.

when we talked on, it also turned out that he knew that he had a safety release, but he ignored how to trigger it! So i told him that he had to try it out absolutely before going back on the lake, as it could be potentially fatal not being able to get of his kite. when i told him about silke, he was quickly ready to do so.

So i think, Toby has a good point in insisting that it is our all responsibility to make the spots saver while talking to people that make obviously errors.

regards

mede

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:12 pm

Hi maede, I didnt suggest that toby was wrong.
My point was that this was already TOO LATE for words.

Both kites were already connected and powering up in about 20 plus knots. God only knows why he wasnt dragged. He was lucky.

He had already refused when his dad told him that he should wear it.

The time for politeness was over. but in the end, I did shake his hand when i was sure he understood.

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:37 pm

Hi Ron, hi Sushi, folks,

I have left Naxos as well and I'm now in the Thessaloniki area before returning home...

On Naxos, there was another accident involving this boy (the kind of person who knows everything better by the way) after the accident with Ron.

He approached a windsurfer very close (as done with Ron 2 hours earlier) and in the last moment tried to move away from him - but the windsurfer did the same and they crashed. The boy was hit heavily at the shoulder and will be "grounded" for the near future I suppose...

There are people who just don't want to listen - they only learn it the hard way...

I agree that Naxos, although a nice and challenging spot for advanced riders, is by no means suitable for beginners. Beginners find suitable conditions in Pounda, on neighbouring island Paros...

Sushi
Rare Poster

Postby Sushi » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:06 pm

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY wrote:Did you see batiste ? man he did a 20 m jump in 8 bft with a 12m x3 - he has balls of iron.
Yes, he was already in Naxos when I arrived there, he's an excellent rider, even in lower winds he was always jumping higher than anybody else.

Hey Wolf, nice to hear your trip was good. All the best to you and your family.

I hope we can all meet again in the future. In fact, I'm already planning my Winter trip, and I think Vietnam will be my exile. Anybody cares to come along ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”