Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

California, USA - banned beaches

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:20 am

Orange County Register, Saturday, August 9, 2003 Windsurfing and kite surfing banned at two large beaches

By GARY ROBBINS
The Orange County Register

The state has indefinitely banned the fast-growing sport of kite surfing, along with windsurfing, at two of Orange County's largest beaches out of concern that board operators might collide with swimmers or surfers.

"The boards go inside the surf zone, and it wouldn't be pretty if one hit a swimmer," said lifeguard Lt. Mike Broussard. The bans apply to Huntington State Beach and Bolsa Chica State Beach, effective today.

Broussard said he's enforcing a state law that prohibits people from launching wind boards and kite-surfing apparatus from the beach into the ocean.

Huntington and Bolsa Chica state beaches have long been popular with windsurfers. But kite surfing has taken off only in the last year or so. Broussard expressed special concern about the kites, some of which have flying lines that extend to 100 feet.

"If they crashed down on the beach, mayhem could ensue," said Broussard. The beaches collectively attract about 100,000 visitors on many summer days.

Matt Karl, a marine safety officer at Huntington City Beach, said his department has not formally discussed whether such a ban would be imposed there.

-SCKA Directors

kimeza
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Sherman Island
South Padre Island
Style: Holding on for dear life
Gear: North Rebel 7, 9 ,12 and a Dyno 15 when I'm desperate. I think a Neo quiver is in my future.
Brand Affiliation: None

Bolsa and HB

Postby kimeza » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:53 pm

I talked with a Sgt. with HBPD's beach patrol recently. There were two events this summer which influenced the Lt. in his decision.

1 was a kiter that was dragged up from sunset beach who's kite ended up crossing some lanes of Pacific Coast Highway (near fatal).

2 was a beginner in Huntington (unknown if it was City or State) Beach who was lofted and tea bagged.

I can't confirm any of this but apparently he cited these two incidents (which didn't happen in his area) to make the decision. I think a ban might have already happened at HB city beach as well if it wasn't for a lifeguard that kitesurf's himself.

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Blow Me » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm

Do you know if there is any kiting at Laguna Beach? I just can't see how that would be possible. I am surprised that this is not on their list.

Return to “Kitesurfing”