From x2 to what in 2004?

forum for kitesurfers

cyclone
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None

From x2 to what in 2004?

Postby cyclone » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:14 am

Looking for suggestions from suitably experienced riders on what sort of kite i should consider for 2004.

I have 16m and 12m sizes of naish X2 that need upgrading and im looking for a similar type of ride, id get 2 new x2`s if i could!

Looking very closely at the rhino4, havnt tried one (noone has one here) but saw one on the beach from a tourist and the design looked very impressive.

Also looking at the GXR`s... again, have seen but not flown...

Wipika AMP maybe?

Any suggestions on a kite that flies like the x2 would be appreciated.
Oh, ive tried x3`s and V4`s but dont want one of these...
Cheers

kookfest
Medium Poster

Postby kookfest » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:08 pm

Naish are taming down the X3 for 2004. The upcoming X4 will have a deeper camber, giving it more stability and more power. It will have a bit more low end and a bigger sweet spot midjump. If you like the X2 but don't like the X3, you'll love the X4.

kite boardertje
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby kite boardertje » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:24 pm

try a fuel 2004 i had someone who flew x2s try mine 04s and he said that it was the nicest kite and a lot better as the x2s

he also tried rhino 4 x3 v4 gaastra gxr wipika amp and cabrinha nitro

so he must be objective he is gone get the same babys i have 17 13 and 9 :thumb:

cyclone
Frequent Poster

Postby cyclone » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:05 pm

Id love to try a fuel and will do in the near future... they look like the most improved kite for 2004 as they were pretty bad in 2003... but unfortunately i doubt ill be getting slingshots due to the politics in my area and the attitude of the shop who sell them, i prefer to take my business elsewhere... bummer!

I like the top end of the x2/x3 the really lifty jumps and the speed of flight... i like to go out over powered so low camber kites are best for me.

i hope they get the x4 right, the x3 was great except for the damn wobbles... close but no cigar!

Hans Konermann.
Medium Poster

Postby Hans Konermann. » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:35 pm

I have spent good sessions on the new 10m CAUTION SPITFIRE in winds ranging from 25 Knots till 34 Knots.
with large surf, double head high. And I was using a new 4.6 D'light custom mutant.

The CAUTION SPITFIRE is definite improved over the all ready great performing 2003 models. The CAUTION SPITFIRE 2004 kite's rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:12 pm

Once again, we'll only see some loose shooting from personal "favorite" kites here.

You can choose almost whatever kite you want (as long as the AR is about the same), if you want it to be like the X2 (just with much better windrange - which was the only problem with the X2).

In 2004 most brands are getting closer to each other, f.ex. the Takoon Skoop3 has much more power now, and the North Rhino4 has less power, but more windrange (both compared to earlier models).
So they are more equalled out nowadays...

You have to be more specific about some details or features - OR, try the kites yourself in advance.

I dont think anyone can help you with your question, really :roll:

Only a very few kites today (if any...) are far away from the "main stream" trend, which most riders like.

And your shop/store will know, whether a specific kite is an intermediate low or high performance kite, or an advanced kite with difficult relaunch, or whether it is in the high or low end of the windrange.

cyclone
Frequent Poster

Postby cyclone » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:40 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Once again, we'll only see some loose shooting from personal "favorite" kites here.

You can choose almost whatever kite you want (as long as the AR is about the same), if you want it to be like the X2 (just with much better windrange - which was the only problem with the X2).

In 2004 most brands are getting closer to each other, f.ex. the Takoon Skoop3 has much more power now, and the North Rhino4 has less power, but more windrange (both compared to earlier models).
So they are more equalled out nowadays...

You have to be more specific about some details or features - OR, try the kites yourself in advance.

I dont think anyone can help you with your question, really :roll:

Only a very few kites today (if any...) are far away from the "main stream" trend, which most riders like.

And your shop/store will know, whether a specific kite is an intermediate low or high performance kite, or an advanced kite with difficult relaunch, or whether it is in the high or low end of the windrange.
First, i dont think the x2 has a problem with the windrange, its depower is huge and i can get it going as early as any other kite out there.

I DO try as many kites as i can :roll: but obviously cant try them all which is why im posting here!

The kites i have tried so far- boxer and v4, fly very different from each other and from the x2, so they are NOT ALL THE SAME as you put it???

The day a shop can tell me which kite does what will be the day i OWN a shop...never... politics, hype and brand loyalty ensure that!

I simply want to know which kites handle, jump, fly like x2`s, does the rhino 4 fly like this?

GregW
Frequent Poster

Postby GregW » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:43 am

I have no experience being an foil flier but .... a local long-time Naish stalwart has switched to 2004 Fuels. He has just sold his Naish kites and the Rhinos he bought. He's a powered up, go big kind of guy. Does lots of tricks and board-offs and kite-loops etc.

For me, ease of use details like the one-pump thingy and no tip battens are very attractive. If my foils ever wear out I would be looking at Fuels or any other major brand that brings out similar features.

Elia
Frequent Poster

Postby Elia » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:06 am

Ok yes the v 4 and boxer fly different then the x2 but you are comparing apples and oranges here. Peter said that you have to compare two kites with similar ARs and the boxer and V4 are low and medium ARs.

I agree with Peter in that all kites are getting better and that in 2004 I think most kites will be more similar then past years, not equal but similar.

Anyways it seems alot of people are switching to north from naish. I personally am switchingfrom an x2 to globerider which flies similar to a Takoon.

cyclone
Frequent Poster

Postby cyclone » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:32 am

If you look at the v4 compared to an x2 both in 16m size, the difference in AR is barely noticeable, 100mm more chord and 600mm less span, hardly worth bitching about...

Return to “Kitesurfing”