SS safety system failure

forum for kitesurfers

Flyfisher
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

SS safety system failure

Postby Flyfisher » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:06 pm

Witnessed a rider on his new Fuel today break one of the front lines during a jump. The kite looped twice before he was able to get out of the chicken loop, but because the lines were crossed after the loops, the bar only slid about a metre up the line. The kite kept looping, and the rider was dragged by one arm up the beach until the kite hit the ground and was grabbed by another rider, about ten metres short of the trees.

The rider was very shaken up, and was concerned that there was nothing you could do to get rid of the wrist strap while getting dragged at a great rate over first the water then the sand. Retailers say that the velcro that holds these wrist releases should let go under extreme load which would prevent someone being dragged. However, this is the second incident in this area involving the SS wrist release. I have also seen riders let their kites go and the velcro come undone under reasonably little load resulting in their kites being blown away.

Personally, after seeing this, I will ditch my wrist release and get a system where you connect your leash to somewhere you can easily reach with some sort of quick release mechanism. If the same thing happens and the lines are twisted preventing the safety from working properly, I will gladly sacrifice my kite for personal safety any day.

rolltide
Frequent Poster

Postby rolltide » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:32 pm

Nothing is foolproof.
Always have a plan B, or an option behind door number two.
My plan B with the Slingshot Sure-Fire release is ditching the wrist leash, attaching the kite leash to a Wilchard mounted to the harness.
I've been using this set up over a year, ever since the wrist leash was ripped off my arm in what I consider underpowered conditions.

There are a couple of options:

1. Hook the quick release to a caribiner clip attached to the metal ring on the side of the Dakine harness'.
2. Hook the QR to the spreader bar. I'd rig it to the spreader BAR and not the hook. If your hook breaks, yer fizucked losing both the kite and leash.
3. Fashion a grab strap of rope to the back of the harness and attach the kite leash to a length of rope with a bowline at the distal end. The bowline will travel the length of the grab strap rope allowing handle pass tricks without the leash getting wrapped around you.
Hell you can even put the QR somewhere on the line for a last chance to bail out.

I will be switching to option 3 when I get my '04 quiver.
When I can afford $210 for the Advanced SKRU [swivel quick release unit]
I'll attach the leash there. http://www.advancedkite.com/AKE%20Shackle%20about.htm

III

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BEST TS, Best Nemesis HP, Kahoona and Roca.
Brand Affiliation: used to be BestKiteboarding.com

Postby sq225917 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:38 pm

thanks for posting that, something to be aware of, as nothing is failsafe...

not having seen it i'm only speculating but seems like the loose end of line might have got caught up in the tangle, and the lack on equal tension in the front lines due to the snapped line might have stopped the release activating correctly and not providing the kite with enough pull to drag the lines through the tangle via the wrist release. if he was using the wrist release as supplied then looping the kite would have meant it was tangled around the depower which would slow its activation.

i dont think the ss system is particualrly high tech, but i do believe that a single back line re-rdie like the surefire or the airrush system is the simplest safety system there is, until you factor twisted lines into the equation, then it's not up to the task. unfortunatelly in this case it proved unsuitable and i'm hoping ss come out with something improved soon.

just for intrest, i run my release line to my shackle, so it all spins, and doesnt tangle up after looping and will still release with several loops in it. hopefully slingshot can bring out an improved system where there is a spinner in the chicken loop and the safety attaches to the back of the chicken loop, staying intact after release, but accesable to release the kite totally should the need arise.

hope he's ok.

WesLapp
Rare Poster

Wrist Leash Issues

Postby WesLapp » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:38 am

Another option is to hold on to the wrist leash cord if you know you will be letting go of your kite. Then you have the option of holding on so the wrist leash is not accidently ripped off your wrist or letting go if the force is too much and having it get ripped off your hand. This works well with a wrist leash that is not so hard to get off like the NSI wrist leash. Another option is to modify your leash by cutting some of the velcro off so it does not hold so tight. There are of course many more saftey systems that don't use wrist leashes at all.

Cheers - Wes Lapp

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:21 am

It's also worth noting that the wrist strap leash makes it rather more difficult to swim after you've gone to safety. I'd much rather have both hands free myself.

saucisseman
Rare Poster

I do not like wrrist wrap

Postby saucisseman » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:21 pm

A very common problem with wrist wrap leash connected to a read line: it can tangle with the end of the bar, then the leash is no longer a leash, it is like pulling your bar completely on one side therefore doing kite loop.
It happened to me on my very first day of kitesurf, learning with a 2 lines kite.
As Whupass said, better hook the leash to the harness if you do not do rotation or to a shackle mounted on a swivel, like the wichard.

Same thing for ankle wrap leash for the board: Do not do that, it can pulls really hard and hurt your leg. Always connect the board leash if you use one to the harness. If your board sinks and the kite goes in the full window, you body will not be streched between the two. Better destroy a harness than your ankle.

jason_ssr
Frequent Poster

Postby jason_ssr » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:15 pm

The problem I have had with mine is that the loop at the end of the bar that the leash line runs through is free spinning. So, as you are riding and the leash is dangling, the loop spins and winds the leash up slightly. then when you unhook and release, the bar doesnt move because the line the leash is connected to is in a bind. This has happened to my wife, and fortunately the wrist strap did give after a very violent pull. So she and I keep an eye on that spinning loop the line to the leash is threaded through. We untwist it at first sign of potential bind.

Hugh Jarse
Rare Poster

Postby Hugh Jarse » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:02 pm

A person here recently suffered a broken wrist after getting dragged by the wrist strap while the kite was out of control (in a similar situation to the first one posted here). I would now never ride with any leash that doesn't attach somewhere it is easily reachable when getting dragged, and that doesn't have a quick release in the event it doesn't work properly.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BEST TS, Best Nemesis HP, Kahoona and Roca.
Brand Affiliation: used to be BestKiteboarding.com

Postby sq225917 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:11 am

the slingshot releases do have a clip at both the bar and wrist end that you can sqeeze to release should you need to, and there is a loop at the end of the strap that you can tie a ball into to make it even easier.

No Idea
Frequent Poster

Postby No Idea » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:16 am

slingshot releases do have a clip at both the bar and wrist end that you can sqeeze to release should you need to
Sq There is no way you can successfully open these aligator type clips on the SS leash under load.

Try it yourself. Hook it up to something, put on some load and try to release!!!!

As much as I love and therefore hype Slingshot don't try and pass these clips off as a safety device as it simply isn't.

Cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”