Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Here is something scary for kiters...tornado!

Forum for kitesurfers
MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Here is something scary for kiters...tornado!

Postby MissionMan » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:02 pm

Seems our country (SA) has been hit with a bit of a drought, the worst in 80 years and as a result the weather has gone a bit wayward.

Saw the following article about a tornado seen less than 100km's away from our regular kiting spot. The last one in our country was in 1999. They are not huge, but big enough to damage houses and I'd hate to be on a kite when one of these babies hits. Fortunately in this country they also come with lightening and thunder clouds, which is a clear indication to vacate the water.

Here is a picture of it.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:42 pm

jpkiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NJ ( Lakes Bay, Brigantine, Tuckerton)
Favorite Beaches: Lakes Bay,NJ
Brigantine,NJ
Dock St. NJ
Florida Flats, Key West
Gear: Cabrinha kites, Epic kites, BRO-KITE POP 130X 40, HEIN custom boards, AXIS Vanguard+Nuskool, Kokotat drysuits

Postby jpkiter » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:52 pm

one more thing associated with tornadoes....if your hear a freight train coming....but you know there are NO railroad tracks for 20 miles....grab on to BLOWN AWAY + his kite, Dorothy +her red ruby shoes,,as well as Toto....your going to OZ!!!!! :lol:

poraomry
Rare Poster

small tornado in Israel

Postby poraomry » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:15 pm

belive it or not, afew days ago i was at the beach
the wind was about 15 knots but the sky were very cloudy.
a few drops fell and then the strangest thing happened!
i was in the water not too far from the beach when i saw a tourbulance (just like a small tornado) coming from the water stright towards the beach where a friend of mine was with his kite in the air preparing to enter the water. he didn't see it coming and everything happened soo fast.
this big tourbulance grabed him and started to lift him and the kite in the air!!! the guy was soo luck that his rope tied to the snap-shackle tore apart and he fell on the ground, nothing happened to him, but it took the kite up about 50m' and landed it after half a mile. and it all happened at my beach, just 50m away from me... i was so afraid its gonna come over to me so i droped the kite on the water, unhocked my self from the harnest and waited to see if its coming over to me. but it didn't :bye:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:18 pm

where was this?

Return to “Kitesurfing”