Best Kite Arrived Today!

forum for kitesurfers

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Best Kite Arrived Today!

Postby kitebored » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:37 am

So gumball sent me a best kite to review for the forum and it arrived today. First off, i have no business interest in Best kites. I get nothing if i review it well or not...

I'm a nerd so i'm going to go into way more detail than you want, i'll start with the basics though.

No wind today, so i'll post a full review once i get to fly it.

I got a 12 Nemisis. Blue.

Construction: 7 struts including inflatable wingtip struts that were not integrated into the main bladder. The outer 2 (4 total) struts have 1-way flaps, the rest don't. The struts are segmented and the leading edge has 20 segments. Construction seemed solid. Definately some well thought out features such as a foam layer between the main bladder seam and the leading edge of the sail material, which is the first place my current kites' canopies start to wear through. There is kevlar on the ends of the struts as well as a plastic tarp material on the trailing edge where the stut attaches to the sail. I'll try to post pictures when i'm done typing this. Construction quality seems as good or better than any other kite, but the true test will be durability in the coming months.

Shape: I laid this kite out on top of my 2003 Lift Pro 11.5, and the Nemisis had a noticably higher aspect ratio. The nemisis wingspan is about a foot longer, and the center struts are the same length, but the scalloping on the trailing edge makes the lift pro about 6 inches wider (leading to trailing edge) than the Best kite.

Bag: The bag has one shoulder strap to be worn like a messenger bag. It's expandable, but doesn't have zippers where there can be Kite. I think bags with zippers that can catch on kite material are horrible.

More minutia: No pump leash and i didn't notice self rescue handles, but i bet the wingtip struts could be used as such. The smallest 4 struts had smaller valves which required switching the pump attachment piece. This might be because the kite is new though. The valve plugs are attached to the velcro, meaning if you pull on the velcro, you unplug the bladder. One bladder was twisted, so i just took it out and put it back in, no problems.

I have mediocre pictures, but don't know how to host them... if anybody wants to see them just let me know how. I'd also be glad to answer any questions about the kite, as i'd have a million if someone else had it before it did.

guess that's it... I'll have more stories when it gets windy...
Brian.

gottmoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gottmoore » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:48 am

Only one question comes to mind immediately

How did you score it?

Nice work however it was..... 8)

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:48 am

I gotta ask. What kinda riding style do you have and what kinda board are you going to be using?

I'm qurious how stable the kite will be during a handle pass.

Thanks,

Jess-Man

Hampton
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hampton » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:00 am

Posting pictures:

If you have a way to put your pictures on a web site, do so, then right click on the picture, select properties, and copy the web site address. Then, click Img (above), paste the address, click Img (above) and continue with text as desired. It is really important to not go back and edit anything above an image as it will result in moving the placement of the image address in the text, and it will not post. That's what happens to me, anyway.

If you don't have any way to put the picture on a web site, ask Toby to set you up with a gallery on this website on which to post your pics, then follow the directions above.

Good Luck!!!!

heywoodjablome
Rare Poster

Postby heywoodjablome » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:01 am

how did you get the kite? what about graphics? flying penis logo? blue and what? put more info on pleaee

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitebored » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:10 am

I ride in a chicken loop. I have a litewave 169 and a custom 135cm/15cm

My spots have waves, some smooth water and some choppy ocean. I'm just learning wave riding and jumping consistently well. It'll be quite a while before i do handle passes, but i can tell you how stable it is in jumps or how sensitive it is to bar movements. I have an aeroII where i can let go of the bar for a good 10 seconds and it'll fly itself.. i did that once on the airush, and it got pretty wet. I imagine that stability without bar input is what you'd be looking for?

Moore, i actually got it just for being on this forum... gumball knew that i'd been here for a while and that you guys wouldn't think I was a fake or anything. They have faith that they can just give it to me and i'll love it, and i'll tell you guys... we'll see when it gets windy...

blue and blue.. there's a little grey and white on the struts, but not much.. Black best flyfish thing logo white number 12 on the side for the size... i have pictures if someone tells me how to post them...

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:52 am

kb - I can host the photos on the web if you need it. I sent you a PM with my email address, just email them to me.

Eraser
Medium Poster

Postby Eraser » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:02 am

You registered on 31th December 2003, why would they send you a kite to review?
I don't know about bestkiteboarding but if I were them I would've sent the kite to someone like toby for example.

Don't want to start a flamewar or anything, but you seem a bit biased...

My first and last post on this topic, regards :bye:

nEwSkIn
Frequent Poster

Postby nEwSkIn » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:10 am

Well, I´d have to agree to a certain extent with eraser... his point makes sense.

Nevertheless, I am curious to know about the behaviour of this and other Best kites, not only by Kitebored but also from everyone who happens to have one.

Greetz :)

kiteboardkorea
Medium Poster

I have to agree with eraser

Postby kiteboardkorea » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:40 am

I have to agree as well with eraser, kitebored has been a member here on this forum for a full 25 Days?????, and that gives you credability :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? , please dont think we are all dumb, but really this review of the "Best Kite"

would be "best Done" by "Best Toby" if this was a genuine " Best Test"

Drew

Return to “Kitesurfing”