Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Build-in North Rhino04 Restart???

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:54 pm

it will sound unbelievable, and I still don't know how it happend, but read this story and let me know if you can confirm this or if it was just luck:

while on Coche, my buddy used a R4 20. He said after dropping the kite the relaunch is nor problem. I told him, that wasn't a real relaunch of a kite, since he dropped it at the wind window,so it was always on its side.
I said, a real relaunch is,if the kite lays on its frontube, all the way.
Ok, I see hiw kite going down the other day and was looking, since it was his first "real" relaunch with a 20 sqm kite.....now it happened.....one of his tips went up straight from the water, like a Recon or Windwing system. After 3 attemps the kite went up in the sky !!!!!!! :o
I couldn't believe it, thought firstit was another kiter. No, it was him!
Toddo and I were waiving at each other and didn't understand it. We communicated that he was a lucky fellow. We got another chance: a little bit laterthe kite went down again. Toddo and I were close by to watch what is going to happen...and againa, even faster, kite up on one side and straight up in the sky....
He did it 3 times that day. He came to the beach and said,how easy that relaunch is with a 20,because we scared him about that bening very difficult.....He said, he just pulled on one steering line (arm lenght) and up it went....

Pls note: dead flat water, no waves!!!

I have to test this next time I'm on the water, because this is just unbelievable.

Who else experienced this, also on other kites???
So we don't need a restart system, it works without!!!!

PS: a normal R4 20, no modifications on it at all!

fabinhoj
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fabinhoj » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:17 pm

how ??? can you do that toby ???

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:29 pm

I have had that happen quite a few times with my AMP, can't remember exactly, but I think it was linked to low wind.

But sometimes, when doing that, the kite goes up too early, falling back down on the trailing edge and usually rotating once around the fronttube, twisting the lines. =/ Almost sure it only happened to me in light winds.

NeoXtreme
Rare Poster

Postby NeoXtreme » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:31 pm

I use a R4 18. Never dropped it however, but I think this is hard to believe. I am going to try it out as well when I get the chance. But if it really is, then I am more certain than ever that North Kites rock :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:38 pm

fabinhoj wrote:how ??? can you do that toby ???
no, I can't. But I want to!

I will follow this matter and see if it works on my 16 or 12 R4.
And maybe on my R2 20.

As soon as I tested it, I will let you know.

Other R4 users pls test it and specially with a R4 20, since I don't have it.
I just want to know if it was luck or if anyone could do it...

NeoXtreme
Rare Poster

Postby NeoXtreme » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:44 pm

Friend of me is now in El Yague and has a R4 20. He has had no need for it there, not yet. But I will ask him to test it when he contacts me. I will not be able to test it with my R4 18 because you can only come outside with kites smaller then 10 at the moment ;-) :D

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:08 pm

Hi,

I did that with a Fuel 2004 13m when i was testing it. But the wind was very strong. Flat water too. But it worked when I pulled the back lines: first both and then released one of them.
Was that guy standing up? When i did this i had water above the waist so i had a lot of "negotial" margin ;-)

metallifredd
Rare Poster

relaunch

Postby metallifredd » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:09 pm

hey toby
I managed to relaunch my r2 18 in that same way on the snow last weekend. just pulled in on one of the steering lines when the kite was downwind on LE. the tip lifted backwards until the kite was in startingposition . directly downwind though so I was lucky that the wind wasnt that strong.
never tried on water this way yet.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: relaunch

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:44 pm

metallifredd wrote:hey toby
I managed to relaunch my r2 18 in that same way on the snow last weekend. just pulled in on one of the steering lines when the kite was downwind on LE. the tip lifted backwards until the kite was in startingposition . directly downwind though so I was lucky that the wind wasnt that strong.
never tried on water this way yet.
ok, sounds good.
He did it in quiet light winds, just ok for a 20.0.
He was NOT standing, it was deep water......

Hugh Jarse
Rare Poster

Postby Hugh Jarse » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:22 pm

Despite all the hype about high aspect kites not relaunching, I have found the R4 20m quite easy to relaunch even in about 10 knots of wind. I personally think it is due to the kites retangular shape, and the extreme width at the tips. By pulling one line towards you when the kite is downwind of you and on its leading edge, it bends the tip down and it seems to act like a wing lifting the leading edge up and out of the water towards the point where the kite is on its side ready to relaunch. I have only done this twice with this kite, and both times got the kite airborne within 30 seconds of it being dropped.

Haven't had to relaunch my other sizes yet. But with any kite, high or low aspect, and more than 15 knots of wind, they will all roll on their back easily. The higher aspect kites have only been a disadvantage for relaunching in less than 15 knots of wind I have personally found in the past.

Return to “Kitesurfing”