Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do all ram users EVENTUALLY buy inflatables?

forum for kitesurfers

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Do all ram users EVENTUALLY buy inflatables?

Postby Pump me up » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:57 am

In the Feb/March issue of Kiteboarding magazine, Matt Nuzzo wrote:

"Many a naysayer will discredit riding only a surfboard or a wakeskate. Talk to them after they have given it a try and I am sure they will have a different take. I once said to Sleazy J, back in the day when his Afro was small and I thought kiting was all about the two-line foil, "Dude, I will never ride an inflatable kite with all the pumping and the lines."

"My mistake. Now the same thing is happening with strapless kiteboarding."

Matt Nuzzo ADMITTED he made a mistake thinking he would never ride an inflatable. He IMPLICITLY acknowledges the superiority of inflatables over ram airs.

Does the same thing happen for all ram lovers? Do all ram lovers who try inflatables fall in love with inflatables and admit they made a mistake flying ram airs? My experience with ex-ram lovers around here indicates that this is, in fact, exactly what happens.

flippe
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

buy

Postby flippe » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:35 am

:thumb:Kiting with my 2001 foils in 2004 they are so strong i'have to wait till they tearup to buy anething else.BEST(inflato)regards :wink:

doofus
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Ozone, ASP, Moses

Postby doofus » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:18 am

nope not yet (4 seasons and on my 6th non lei kite) and still not tempted

I've tried Cabrinhas, Norths, Naishs and a Wipika and didn't get any burning urge to change. I like what I fly and I'm not about to bother changing just because someone I don't know says I should.

Although I'd be surprised if I ever went back to a bridled kite, they just don't suit my size and attitude toward my gear

:bye: :roll:

Cortex
Frequent Poster

Postby Cortex » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:41 am

Don't know why I bother.... I guess I'm bored with not having any wind...
But since I'm so bored I'll even answer this boring post.

Anyway, I started out on LEI's and still ride them. But two years ago I got the chance to try some Flysurfer-gear and really liked how much easier the setup and launch was compared to my Naish Aero. Then I gradually started to use more and more FS-kites instead of my LEI's. Last year I used my foils for at least 80% of the time (Titan 15.5 and Psycho 6.5) and my X3's the rest.
Since I now got a Voodoo 10 and very soon a Psycho 2 13 in my quiver I'm selling my X3's since I can't really see the use for them any more. I will however also use a SS Fuel 15 -04 as my "office"-quiver. But my travel-quiver and main-quiver (i.e the one I will ride with 90% of the time) will consists entierly of FS-foils this year.

Now, I would like to point out that I've had the opportunity to try out a lot of LEI's during the last two years and still are sticking with FS. Especially the new Voodoo (and problaby the Psycho 2, I'll let you know as soon as I try mine) are amazing kites. It really shows that the development of foils have come a long way in the last year.

PMU, I can't figure you out at all. You seem to have a lot of excess-energy to throw at moronic crusades. Why not use this energy to something good instead? Why don't you devote all this energy to helping poor/old/sick people? Do something that matters instead of just wasting your, and our, time.
Do you *really* want to look back at your life-achievements and have these "strange" fanatic outbursts, on a subject that actually is a very insignificant one, on your list? :roll:

And just in case you won't listen to reason (and if I know you, you just won't) then I just want to ask you: Haven't you got a challange in Egypt against Armin to be at instead of writing wierd posts??? :lol:

To the rest of you out there, ride whatever you want just remember to have fun!

/K

GregW
Frequent Poster

Postby GregW » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:54 am

Nope. I started on non-relaunchable and semi-relaunchable foils, went to 4-line LEI (fantastic) when foils got good I went to foils again. I have been happy ever since.

Honestly when I think I've got my foils wired I discover something new and a whole new are of development opened up. I used to think they were front-line flying upwind machines. Speed and upwind performance were everything and dick-tricks were a bit of a fad. Now I'm dick-tricking away and trying air-gybes and kiteloops and stuff and having a great time. Same old 3-year old kites but I just ride them different.

Actually the other thing is that I now use just one kite, the Boom Prion 12m, for 12-25 knots. Once you get used to riding very powered up

Regards

Greg

Actually PMU, if you started this thread 4 years ago you would have been dead right. The early so-called relaunchable foils were crap and the Naish AR5 knocked them off the map.

5 years ago and while the foils were not relaunchable they were probably better than the Wipi classic.

3 years ago and the Flysurfers started to get good and the Boom Vectors and Arcs appeared and things have continued to get better ever since.

sgt. Salty
Frequent Poster

Postby sgt. Salty » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:45 pm

Some ram-kiters told we they still like a LEI in strong wind more, but prefer Rams in low wind.

I'm LEI-lover, but if I get a chance to try a Flysurfer this year, I'll do it. I'm impressed by there work, and I like it that them develope something different, which might bring up totally new results. More companies should try to reinvent themself, instead of selling nearly the same kites every year with some added gadgets.

BTW: This is why cheap kitebrand enter the market now, because it is no secret any more how to build a good LEI.

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:02 am

sgt. Salty wrote:Some ram-kiters told we they still like a LEI in strong wind more, but prefer Rams in low wind.

I'm LEI-lover, but if I get a chance to try a Flysurfer this year, I'll do it. I'm impressed by there work, and I like it that them develope something different, which might bring up totally new results. More companies should try to reinvent themself, instead of selling nearly the same kites every year with some added gadgets.

BTW: This is why cheap kitebrand enter the market now, because it is no secret any more how to build a good LEI.
First PMU, arnt you supposed to be in Egypt taking up Armins challenge.......thats wright ........no balls when you name is called up.......... Whatever

I agree with Salty in regards to what has happend in the last few years. I changed from LE to Foils because I saw no real new development in LE kites. Each year the kites were not much better than my original Airblasts that I learnt to kite 4 year back on. If you look at where I live almost every guy here is riding FS kites and have dumped their LE kites, cant even sell a LE kite second hand for more than $200 here. What prompted me to change was initally teaching my Girlfriend to kite. She wanted a foil as here best friend was flying foils. At the beggining of last year when the wind was blowing hard I tried her kite and was hooked , so much more fun to ride. Since then I have moved into the big foils for myself and I can honestly say there is no better light wind kite out there than my T21.5 , 8 knots and my 88kg ass is fully powered up :thumb:
( and I have used, WIPI 16, Airush, Rhino 20, Rhino2, 20, and F-one 18m Kites)

Now with the new Voodoos and P2 you have so many different settings for the kite you get 4 kites in one and can adjust the kites performance depending on the wind conditions and what of style you want to ride. Really this one is a no brainer,..........., go try the new P2 or Voodoos and your LE kites dont get ridden anymore. The last time I rode my Rhino 12 was just to compare hang time with the voodoo 14 in 20 knots, I quickly went back to the beach and dumped the LE as my FS was way more fun.

NPR

GregW
Frequent Poster

Postby GregW » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:11 am

sgt. Salty wrote:Some ram-kiters told we they still like a LEI in strong wind more, but prefer Rams in low wind.

My experience is different. My friend's Rhino II 20 is better in light winds but in stronger winds the greater range of my foils means I can ride on when others are overpowered. Also, when launching a bridled foil with no air in it is very docile so launch surge or mishaps are just about impossible. I have once accidentally tried to launch with a front and rear swapped and the kite just flopped around on the beach.

The foils are a bit more of a handful to land in strong winds so I prefer to land when there is a helper about.

The foils relaunch better in any wind.

Regards

Greg

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:19 am

Jeeze, PMU - Didn't Armin make you look like enough of a chump for one week?

The last bastion of LEIs in my quiver (Aero II) will make its way to Ebay in May. Haven't flown it in months, it is just too much work for no gain.

Any other questions?

Sid sends

SkyScrab
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Brand Affiliation: FLYSURFER HQ

Postby SkyScrab » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:11 pm

I just bought a Psycho² today! so with Titan 15.5m² and Psycho² 10m² no need for an other one, LEI or Foil :-)

packed Kite

btw: FS now delivers a spare depower rope (70cm) for free with the kite :thumb:

Ferdinand

Return to “Kitesurfing”