Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need some Input on FS 10 and 13

forum for kitesurfers

zedsdead
Medium Poster

Need some Input on FS 10 and 13

Postby zedsdead » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:34 am

Hello all.

I'm new here and to the sport of kiting itself. Let me start by saying that it is nice to find such an informative and current forum

I'm live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada and the ice is just comming of the lakes here and i'm looking to buy my first kite.

I love the FS design and the whole ram air concept but having seen some competition videos I can say that these kites do not seem to be verry popular with the pros.

I am a competative wakeboarder looking to do mostly freestlye and big air with this kite.

My question is : Is the p2 13 capable of doing ALL the current tricks you see at the competitions, mainly kiteloops and handle pass inverts (mobes)

Most of the vids I've seen they hang on to the kite with the bar not the harness to do these tricks. Is that even possible with this kite.

I guess i'm just looking for a little input before i blow my load on this kite.

pro's or con's, Ram air or tube whatever you have to say would be apprieciated.

Thx - Zed

Cortex
Frequent Poster

Postby Cortex » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:18 pm

Hi!

Have a look at:
http://213.133.110.173/flysurfer/Galler ... HO2_med/0/

There you'll see plenty of handlepasses. Can't remember if there is any kiteloops in this specific flick, but kiteloops isn't a problem with the PS2. Especially not with the 10.

The Psycho 2 is a *very* nice kite. About FS in big kite comps:

1. FS is a small (albeit dead serious) company who rather spends their money on aerodynamic research then on very expensive teamriders.

2. Their teamrider Sebastian Bubmann, a very promising junior, won the snowkite Worldcup this year. He is using the Psycho 2's (and are pulling kiteloops with them a lot BTW). So the kites are truely up to spec.

3. The Psycho 2 will probably show up in a lot more "local" comps then before, although FS probably won't have a fully sponsored team travelling around the world just doing comps a lot of local talents are likely to be seen on them.

If you like big air then the Psycho 2 is your ticket to ride, the lift is just *massive*.

Have Fun!

/K

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mark van haze » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:35 pm

Yup, totally agree with you.

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:12 pm

Pump me up wrote: and wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote...
Please don't even consider buying a ram air kite. Inflatables are vastly superior to ram airs. I've summarised the reasons for the superiority of inflatables:

blah.(L/D) blah, blah.....
........blah, blah: Inertia blah blah, blah
blah, blah,blah....Luff curve .....
blah, blah.Relaunch ...blah
in conclusion,
Ignore the ram air propaganda. Ignore the lies. Ram airs are aerodynamically inferior to LEIs and nothing can change this.

:D
My appologies to all,
The suspense was killing me.
-bill

But I think he means, try one and see what you think.

the_lone_wolf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby the_lone_wolf » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:20 pm

zfennell wrote:
Pump me up wrote: and wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote...
Please don't even consider buying a ram air kite. Inflatables are vastly superior to ram airs. I've summarised the reasons for the superiority of inflatables:

blah.(L/D) blah, blah.....
........blah, blah: Inertia blah blah, blah
blah, blah,blah....Luff curve .....
blah, blah.Relaunch ...blah
in conclusion,
Ignore the ram air propaganda. Ignore the lies. Ram airs are aerodynamically inferior to LEIs and nothing can change this.

:D
My appologies to all,
The suspense was killing me.
-bill

But I think he means, try one and see what you think.
FPMSL - somehow you've made it more persuasive - now we wait for the real thing........................... :roll:

zedsdead
Medium Poster

Postby zedsdead » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:49 pm

yep, seen that vid Cortex. Anyone get the number of that blonde in the white shirt on the barge? -- lol.

now what about the harness. I'm currently looking at the jacket style as apposed to the waist style. Anyone have any input on this?

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby KiteSmurfer » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:13 pm

If your in canada, i assume you will be snowkiting next winter.
If so, this will effect two things - kite and harness choice. Foils are easier to use on the snow, especially the flysurfers. This would make the PS2 a good choice. FS are not the only foils out there, Peter Lynn G2's are an excellent foil, very good to learn with (most stable kite you can buy) and cheaper than most other similarly sized kites (at least mine were when i brought them). I use FS titan and PL G's - I learnt faster using the G's than the flysurfer's, but like both equally now.

I would think about getting a harness that you can wear for both snow and water to save your self some money. A properly fitting Harness thats incorporated into an impact vest (which i assume is what you are refering to when u say "jacket") may not fit over a winter coat. A Waist harness can slip around and ride up when worn on top of a jacket.

I use a dakine fusion seat - same harness over wet suit and snow pants / jacket. works really good.

Mostly it's just personal preference, get something that is comfortable and good quality - the poorer quality stuff does not last, you do not want your harness ripping apart when you are on the water. WHEN you take lessons, if you havent already, just try some different styles out if you can.

hope this helps, and good luck

Chris - Newfoundland (30cm of snow last night, where the hell is spring)

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:10 am

I think FS Kites.. are an excellent choice.. I picked up two of them over the last few months. a voodoo 10 and a Titan 15.5.. mainly for the dual purpose capability.. Snow and Water .. my son and I started snow Kiteing this year here in Ontario.. by the way I think you have an excellent dealer for FS (Potters) in Edmonton. I do not know very much about the P2's other than what I have read, I flew voodoo for the first time on water this weekend... ice went out two weeks ago, 37 degrees Fahrenheit.. Brrrr .. anyways I'm very satisfied with my choices, and I believe based on our locations and type of riding we both do (inland freshwater lakes with lighter winds, with an average around 15 to 22 Km per our) that FS kites make an excellent choice.. Good luck

I agree with Kitesmurfer on the on the harness... I used a dakine fusion seat all winter, it was awesome, although you need to wear coat that allows it to tuck into the harness... or one that has a double zipper to allow the hook to stick out.

Airtime

zedsdead
Medium Poster

Postby zedsdead » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:55 am

Thanks guys I apprieciate the response.

Yeah I hadn't thought of the snow kiting aspect and what it would mean for a harness Kitesmurfer. Thanks for the remind.

Yeah Airtime, Andreas at Potters is a great guy. He put me in touch with Mike (i forget his last name) Who is the distributer for FS out here. He is also doing lessons and running a sort of club. So I got to see some of the kites in action but at the time the Physcho 2 wasn't released yet. Everyone seemed to be in the beginner to intermediate range, mind you it was a frozen lake not open water. Anyway, I saw a titan 15.5 and while watching some of the others take lessons i sat back and messed around with my little 2m trainer. After everyone left Mike came up and said he saw what i was doing with the trainer and figered I didn't need lessons so he strapped me into a 7m voodoo. "This is how the shit works and don't put it in the trees" and off we went. That was my first time actually being strapped into a kite. I was already hooked when a year before a 5m ram air (not sure of the make) that i was flying on land put me in the hospital. Thats another story but the 7m voodoo and 15.5 titan Mike showed me seemed slugish and I was begining to wonder if the phycho would be any different.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm an Advanced/Expert wakeboarder who is used to getting 15 ft of air off a triple up and I want a kite that is not only going to challenge me but scare the living shit out me.

Is the phycho2 13 up to that task?

-Zed-

Ya ya I'm just another adrenaline junkie hooked on kiting- now what?

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Kites:

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

ASP Stealth Custom Kiteboard 135cm 2013 Black
Fone HRD Lite Tech 137x42cm 2017
Core Fusion 2 139x43 2017
Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Underground Kipuna 5'8" Surfboard
Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surfboard
Alpine Foil Access V1 Foil and board
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:02 am

15 ft of air, haha, wait till you get a psycho in 20 knots, that will be 40 feet of air with a feather soft landing!! I was a hard core wakeboarder for a lot of years as well, and i rarely wakeboard at all anymore.

Return to “Kitesurfing”