Old School 2-Liners anyone?

forum for kitesurfers

Q-Man
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Old School 2-Liners anyone?

Postby Q-Man » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:27 pm

I was given a kite over the weekend that was purchased at a swap meet earlier this summer. An F-One, 14M L2K (Learn to Kite?). The kite came as is without bars and lines and its in pretty good shape - looks like it was used very little. Still holds air in the bladders without leaks. Fabric is still crisp!

It has the 4 points for 4-line hookup, but the strange thing is that it came with this bridle - I assume to convert it to a 2-line. There are attachment points or loops along the leading edge. The bridle does have a criss-cross line that spans the wingtips (Contra anyone?).

I can't find any info on this kite or bridle setup on the F-One site so I think the kite is a quite a few years old. I wouldn't mind setting up the 2 liner to try out, but only if I can set it up correctly. Any info or a manul on this would be appreciated.

I know this isn't the typical 2-Line kite, but a convertible model. I kind of liked the simplicity of the old 2-liners. Anyone on the forum still ride 2-liners? (aside from foils). Maybe a lot of the old timers got their first taste of kitesurfing on a simple 2 liner. I know it lacks a means of depower, but as a light wind kite, it might be fun. Anyone hook up a 3rd line for depower or reverse launch?

Cheers!

mmunzer
Frequent Poster

Postby mmunzer » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:07 am

Hi Q-Man,

Check out
http://www.f-onekites.dk/gear/L2K/

I took some pictures of my L2K 14 with the 2 line bridle. Maybe you can figure it out from there.

The L2K 11 and 14 is from 2003. The kite flies quite nicely on 4 lines. On the bridle it seems to be a bit hard to turn.

Let me know what you find out. You can contact me at marc at goextreme dot dk.

Best regards,

Marc
GoExtreme.dk

Q-Man
Medium Poster

Postby Q-Man » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:10 pm

Thanks Mmunzer.

Wish the pics were more detailed on the Danish site.

I had tried the English F-One site already, but it only had the current gear. I was hoping they would still have some old manuals online. I did email them earlier - hope it gets a response.

I'll email you for the pics - appreciate your help.

Cheers.

El_Gran_Extractor
Frequent Poster

Re: Old School 2-Liners anyone?

Postby El_Gran_Extractor » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:36 pm

Q-Man wrote:I was given a kite over the weekend that was purchased at a swap meet earlier this summer. An F-One, 14M L2K (Learn to Kite?). The kite came as is without bars and lines and its in pretty good shape - looks like it was used very little. Still holds air in the bladders without leaks. Fabric is still crisp!

It has the 4 points for 4-line hookup, but the strange thing is that it came with this bridle - I assume to convert it to a 2-line. There are attachment points or loops along the leading edge. The bridle does have a criss-cross line that spans the wingtips (Contra anyone?).

I can't find any info on this kite or bridle setup on the F-One site so I think the kite is a quite a few years old. I wouldn't mind setting up the 2 liner to try out, but only if I can set it up correctly. Any info or a manul on this would be appreciated.

I know this isn't the typical 2-Line kite, but a convertible model. I kind of liked the simplicity of the old 2-liners. Anyone on the forum still ride 2-liners? (aside from foils). Maybe a lot of the old timers got their first taste of kitesurfing on a simple 2 liner. I know it lacks a means of depower, but as a light wind kite, it might be fun. Anyone hook up a 3rd line for depower or reverse launch?

Cheers!
The contra does have a criss-cross line that spans the wingtips but you can't compare it in anyway with this. Cause the bridle is attached to the recon system and to the powerlines directly ... it's a little more complex than that.
:bye:

Q-Man
Medium Poster

Postby Q-Man » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:37 pm

No I realize its not the same as the contra - its was just amusing to see the bridle with these extra attachments. Upon looking closer, its looks like it has 5 attachment points.

The good thing is that there is this heavy duty loop stitched to the leading edge along with the other loops that would be ideal for a depower line similar to the 5th element. I think F-One has their own version (LS5) of the 5th element coming out on the new kites - might be adaptable.

Most likely I'll use the kite as a standard 4 liner. I just wanted to try it as a 2 liner since I never had tried one except for my snow foils.

mmunzer
Frequent Poster

Postby mmunzer » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:43 pm

The kite is best with 4 lines.

All the F.One kites from 2004 come with 3 attachment points on the leading edge for 5th line. They came out with their 5th line system L5Free mid 2004, you can attach it to any of their 2004 models. Check out their webpage under the downloads section. They have a good manual and a good video showing and describing the system. In 2005 they are coming with a new 5th line system called Active 5. This allows trimming of the 5th line while sailing.

By the way, you might want to take a look at F.ones webpage tommorrow for some interesting news...

Best regards,

Marc
GoExtreme.dk

Return to “Kitesurfing”