Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

X4 recommedation to intermediate kiter?

forum for kitesurfers

birkulf
Rare Poster

X4 recommedation to intermediate kiter?

Postby birkulf » Thu May 06, 2004 9:21 am

Anyone who could recommend Naish X4 14m2 to a intermediate kiter? I have been kiting for 3 years (but not very much each year), can do different jumps and tricks, no kiteloops, but in general pretty confidant. When reading on naish homepage, X4 seems to be a kite only for pros and experts, but reading on different forums it looks like it could be a good kite for me. What do you think?

Birkulf

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Thu May 06, 2004 9:35 am

Its a easy kite.... But the waterstart is NOT as easy as a Boxer/V4..

Its very friendly, and gives you lots off lift.

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pierre.d » Thu May 06, 2004 12:06 pm

I confirm,

The kite is really easy to sail (much easier than the X3 and X2)
and very predictable
the only cons is relaunch because of the high ratio like for all kites
of this range

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Thu May 06, 2004 3:24 pm

I am very happy with my 12m X4. It is not at all difficult to fly.

I think that Naish and other companies use the Beginner and Pro labels on their kite models as a marketing tool. They market the Boxer as a beginner kite but it is actually a very good all around kite. And the X2, X3, X4 are called pro models, but are not difficult at all. Any high aspect ratio kite will take a bit more effort to relaunch but that is no big deal. With a little practise anyone should be able to relaunch ANY modern kite of 16 meters or less ...and most larger kites too.

There is a different feel to a high aspect ratio kite (that many of us prefer). But overall almost any modern kite can easily be enjoyed by any kiter.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

Kite-air
Rare Poster

Postby Kite-air » Thu May 06, 2004 4:43 pm

Apparently there are kiters using the X4 at the moment :bye:

I am still eagerly waiting on reviews and some answers on the following questions te axtract from them. before I buy.

When I look at the lecture and WWW in terms of high wind capabilities of the small X4 sizes I get the impression that the X4 delivers a less performance then in the mid-to low wind range.

Most noticeble:
- difficulty (to almost impossible) in steering the kite in high wind when allmost fully depowered. Due to deep profile.

- despite the depower-lengthening trick, still no realy good depower possibilities

Conclusion would be :
X4 only in low till mid-high wind range usable. Not in highwind

Anyone who can confirm this (with experience with a X4 12-10-8 meter), or has a comment on this statement.

I this all is true, would you then add a non-x4 to your range of X4 kites when considering a small size kite (< 12m )? Like a v4 or even an other brand?

Toby has done some testing on these kites, noticed this problem when testing them?

thx for you reactions :thumb:

( index.php?page=http://www.kiteforum.com ... tton=forum)

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Thu May 06, 2004 5:48 pm

14.0 is the last size, whith pull.......

The 14-16 have great power, an hangtime. (18-20 are not here.)

8-10-12 have good depower, and give you feeling off control while overpowerd..

oceanplay
Very Frequent Poster

Postby oceanplay » Thu May 06, 2004 6:13 pm

arx grate kite until x2 came out than that sucked x3 came out x2 sucked now x4 comes out and the others suck just get a best kite they fly super good i was going to keep my x3's but the yarga was sooooo good in smooth water i will sell them.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Fri May 07, 2004 3:50 am

I have the 12 meter X4. It was an instant hit with me. I found my jumps a bit higher and the kite very predictable. I have flown it in fully powered conditions and it handles very well. It turns fast. I have not tried it yet in really overpowered conditions, but I doubt any kite could match the high wind range of my old X3. But my X4 is certainly the nicest kite I have ever flown.

I have been practising kiteloops which means I am also doing some relaunching and it seems to relaunch easily.

Of course I am comparing it to 2003 kites so you would expect it to be improved. Overall I think Naish is making their kites more user friendly.

As for small kites, I personally have a Boxer 9 on order for my high wind kite, partly because I have always found the 12m to 8m kite gap too big. I have not tried the V4.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Fri May 07, 2004 8:15 am

riders shouldnt overlook the Boxer & V4 and straight to the x4 in the belief they will get more out of that. If you're learning new moves, kiteloops especially, the Boxer & V4 are awesome, whereas the x4 could still be a bit scary...

I'm surprised by how many riders i see on the Boxer, pulling off Mobes, etc.... its an ideal learning platform regardless of your level

Rex
Frequent Poster

Re: X4 recommedation to intermediate kiter?

Postby Rex » Sat May 08, 2004 7:41 pm

birkulf wrote:Anyone who could recommend Naish X4 14m2 to a intermediate kiter? I have been kiting for 3 years (but not very much each year), can do different jumps and tricks, no kiteloops, but in general pretty confidant. When reading on naish homepage, X4 seems to be a kite only for pros and experts, but reading on different forums it looks like it could be a good kite for me. What do you think?

Birkulf
Hi Birkulf,

I'm an intermediate kiter such as yourself. I've flown the X4's for about a month now, and I'm loving it!

The kites are easy to fly. I'd say they're too fast in the response for beginners and you sail too fast on them for beginners too. Intermediates, however, will get alot out of them. I found that I have really (!!!) good hangtime using these kites AND I can control the kites even though I'm fully powered with full depower! They fly well even with full depower and gives you massive hang time when totally powered up - yet, ofcourse it's a challenge. This goes for both the 16 and the 12. I know lots of people say that the 14 and up have too much pull to depowere, but I don't agree that it's that much.

The kites are extremely stable, they're predictable, and great fun to fly. I have only relaunched a couple of times. It's like other high AR kites. No easier, and no harder, I'd say.

I'm in no way associated with naish. Just really happy about my kites :girl:

Rex

Return to “Kitesurfing”