forum for kitesurfers

gleddy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

reading wind gusts

Postby gleddy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:49 am

just curious.

when reading wind conditions on various weather websites, how do you read when the wind is too gusty?

say when the wind is 15knots with gusts to 25knots...

just wondering the wind difference is for reallly gusty conditions?

cheers

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 am

Gusting 10 knots - ok just about, Gusting 15 - Nah....

Its also got to do with your kite windrange....usually a kites range is circa 10 knots. So one kite might not be enough to cover the range of the gusts.

I'd usually do to the beach as alot of weather sites may not be accurate...depends which one and where. Local variations are not usually taken into consideration....

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: reading wind gusts

Postby RickI » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:31 am

gleddy wrote:just curious.

when reading wind conditions on various weather websites, how do you read when the wind is too gusty?

say when the wind is 15knots with gusts to 25knots...

just wondering the wind difference is for reallly gusty conditions?

cheers
We are still defining what "excessively gusty" conditions are for this sport. This is also a deadly serious question.

The majority of kiteboarding fatalities thave been a result of EXCESSIVELY gusty wind conditions.

A few things are certain about increasingly gusty wind conditions. The level of work required goes up, often the fun and margin for error go down and the hazard posed to the rider goes up.

I am not necessarily talking about going out in 15 kt. conditions and being slammed by a gust to 50 kts. either necessarily. Although such dramatic conditions can take the guesswork out the likely outcome of such sessions. I am referring to lower gust ranges as impacting the riders margin for error and safety.

What is too gusty? That comes down to a lot of factors in addition to wind, kite size, line length, board size, rider experience, weight and condition, seas and more.

Can you ride in 15 kts. gusts, sure lots of guys can with sufficient experience and a good rig. But, if you are nearly maxed out at 20 kts. with your kite setup, etc. and it gusts to 35 kts. you may well lose control and if you are hooked in may well go for the complete ride to ??? Are there exceptions, sure there are but most of the time, excessively gusty conditions may lead to a bad outcome.

Lots of guys might try to stay within a 10 kt. gust range. Say, 15 kts. gusting to 25 kts. Some might even shoot for lower than that for ease of riding. Will you automatically be injured if you ride in higher gust ranges, no, but the odds of a problem have gone up. If you drive drunk, will you automatically have an accident? No, the odds have just gone up, no surprise there.

gleddy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gleddy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:06 am

thanks guys... just getting a sense of my kites wind ranges etc...

good to get a general idea for now.

hightimes
Frequent Poster

Postby hightimes » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:48 am

no gusts no glory

aero_boy
Medium Poster

Postby aero_boy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:31 pm

When I was learning I was told the golden rule was: if it's gusting double the lulls, don't go out!

That's always done me well..

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”