Speed2 19 SILVERARROW

forum for kitesurfers

funtiger
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Speed2 19 SILVERARROW

Postby funtiger » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:30 am

After long anticipation I received my new Speed 2 19 Silverarrow and finally had the chance to try it out yesterday & today.

The main point I would like to share and suggest every kiter who is riding in areas with low wind; Try to get your hand on this kite, test it and judge for yourself.

I think low wind kiting has achieved a new dimension!

Unpacking the kite I was surprised about the weight and size!! For a 19m2 kite it is very small and light. The bar is the longest I have ever seen with a kite yet. Later I found out that the long bar is detrimental for the fast turning speed.

Saturday:
We had steady wind at about 6-9knts. I took my door since in this conditions on my Speed 17 I could not stay upwind on my 125cm board and there were quite a few people watching so I didn't want to do a walk of shame! I had good power and quickly I shifted to my small board on which I could jump at least 3-4m high. High, far and superfloaty. The turning speed was a clearly faster than the Speed 17 and the power was definitely stronger than the Speed 17. What delighted me most was the way how the kite was to be jumped, it turns to the other side of the window faster and it comes up much better to lift you off the water, increasing the fun factor significantly.

After an hour the wind slowed to 3-4knts and I installed my 15m extension lines. With the quick connectors it is a relatively easy undertaking. My problem, that one of the 4 lines was 20cm too long was easily compensated by making an additional knot in one of the leader lines. :lol:
This might sound a bit technical, but the people who use different line lengths should know that unequal lines pose a slight problem, especially when you utilise old line material for extension lines

The 15 additional meter made the wing unbeatable, there will be hardly any unkitable day for me anymore. A normal breeze will be sufficient to kite. :P

Sunday; Today there was much more wind and we had a cold front coming, which shifts the wind to the northwest and makes it very gusty. We had about 10-17knts expected to get stronger. Normally I would have taken my Psycho3 13 with the door for these conditions, but I wanted to get a feel for the upper range of the silverarrow. So I took my small board. I was very positively surprised how easy I could handle the gusts and how much potential for the kite was remaining. When on the water I was riding with about 60% depower on the blue/yellow adjustment strap. I'm confident to take the kite up to well above 20knts. The depower, with the adjuster and with the bar is indeed huge.

I'm still riding on factory settings, havn't changed anything on the trimm! In my next trials I will try the soft and hard steering options to see how that feels?

Cheers for today,
Markus

rolandal
Rare Poster

Postby rolandal » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:48 am

What is your height / weight ? Sounds like you found yourself an awesome kite. How much did it run you ?

funtiger
Medium Poster

Postby funtiger » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:16 am

I'm 183cm and 83kg.
It's the most expensive kite I ever bought, but I don't regret it.

Cheers,

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:00 pm

I want one of you 19'ers to also try a 15 and compare the two in terms of power and turning speed.

That would be the clincher.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Re: Speed2 19 SILVERARROW

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:57 pm

funtiger wrote:I think low wind kiting has achieved a new dimension!

Later I found out that the long bar is detrimental for the fast turning speed.

Saturday:
We had steady wind at about 6-9knts.

After an hour the wind slowed to 3-4knts and I installed my 15m extension lines. With the quick connectors it is a relatively easy undertaking.

The 15 additional meter made the wing unbeatable, there will be hardly any unkitable day for me anymore. A normal breeze will be sufficient to kite. :P

Cheers for today,
Markus
I agree the Speed2 SiwerArrow in "low wind kiting has achieved a new dimension!" :thumb:

From my past experiences I could get faster turning speed with a longer bar,
I'm sorry could you explain why "the long bar is detrimental for the fast turning speed"
because I was thinking using a longer bar on my Speed2 12m SilwerArrow :oops:

Honestly, is that still well worth the 15m extention,
or just overlooking the slower steering speed for a better low end compromise :?:

I'm thinking to add 6m line extention to my 21m set-up but I'm light weight,
so I'm afraid of reaching the law of diminish of no return.
What do you think :?:

DrLightWind

PS. I've already had 7 sessions. Yesterday I was out in 18 - 25 mph winds and finally I will write a review about my impressions.

rolandal
Rare Poster

Postby rolandal » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:42 pm

funtiger wrote:I'm 183cm and 83kg.
It's the most expensive kite I ever bought, but I don't regret it.

Cheers,
Hmm decently big, but how much in total did you end up paying for the kite?

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Silverarrow2 and/vs. 15m Speed2

Postby endorphin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:57 pm

'had a nice experience with the Flysurfer Speed2s in 15m and in 19m Silverarrow2-Verion in El Gouna/Egypt some weeks ago.
One day, when the wind was onshore at about 13 down to about 3 knots starting from about 09:00am till 17:30pm we had the possibility to testfly the two kites mentioned above.

Since this session I thought that I'm absolutely not interested in going out in these lightwind conditions with foils because it seemed to me a senseless occupation that wouldn't make any fun.

But as I saw Armin kitelooping the Silverarrow2 in about 11 knots I thougt I should give this kite a chance.
After some other people were testflying the Silverarrow2 a friend of mine and me (both at about 80-85kg, rider level intermediate) got the chance to go out with the Silverarrow2+15m Speed2 and the 07 Spleene Doors.

After hooking in - I was impressed because I never had such a big kite and such a big bar under control before.
Ok, started my run and my first feeling was:
"What the fuck - this is amazing fun with such an easy flying kite."
The kite pulled totally constant through the windwindow, flew really stable and was stucked at the position in the windwindow where I parked it.
The tipps didn't fold in, and I had the feeling of flying a much smaller kite fixed on to the lines-ends. The turning speed was quite/relatively fast, even in the absolute low end of the kite.
I was just cruising in the lagoon recognizing this amazing feeling and only a few kiter with tubekites were able to go upwind with their big tubekites and big kiteboards at that time.

Then, when nearly everybody on the beach went to have lunch, the wind dropped to under 10 knots and we two were cruising in the lagoon with the silverarrow2 and the 15m Speed2. It was still possible to jump and have fun with the amazing good hangtime of the speed2s.
No other kiters were really able to kitesurf and go upwind at that time with their tubes.

Then we changed the kites and I had the possibility to go with the 15m Speed2.
In my opinion the 15m Speed2 has about +-80 to 85% of the power of the Silverarrow2.
When the wind dropped again a little bit it was quite hard to stay upwind with the 15m Speed2.
Then I went back and got again the chance to fly the Silverarrow2.
I only found the small 07 Spleene test-door on the beach, took it and went straight upwind with the Silverarrow2 through the turquoise lagoon.
At this time no other kiters were able to drive or to go upwind with their kites. Later on the wind dropped again a little bit and I had the chance to get the big door. Some hours later the wind dropped to about 5-6 knots and it started to get really tricky to go upwind, with my 85(naked)kg, even with the silverarrow2 and the big door.
The wind dropped again and I was just able to keep the silverarrow2 in the air. It seemed that there was nearly no wind - but this kite was still flyable. Sometimes the kite fell out of the sky in about 4knots only because of definitively to less wind.
I really wondered that it was always possible to restart the silverarrow2 in about +-4knots really easy out of the water in the powerzone at a windspeed that was too low to keep the foil stable flying in the sky.
I continued trying to get onto the board with kitelooping the Silverarrow2.
Later I had to accept that there was to less wind and I went out of the water with a good feeling and a very big smile on my face because from that time on, I thought that there was too less wind to kitesurf with any equipment available on this planet.
:lol:

The rest of that day there was only one thing going trough our minds - this kite.
We talked about our experiences with the two foils for hours and couldn't find any mentionable disadvantages of these amazing lightwind weapons.
+ Bar is made out of carbon.
+ 5th line (FLS) available (very good safety function)
+ very high quality materials
+ easy relaunch
+ fast turning speed
+ stable
+ very good flying characteristics

I think with a silverarrow2 and a big kiteboard you have the possibility to kitesurf and have real fun on far more days at your local spot, if the wind is between 7-10 knots.

kind regards,
Thomas
:bye:

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:57 pm

These guys are right, the Speed 2 has really taken low wind kiting a step forward.

Yesterday I rode in even lighter wind than I had before with the Speed 2 19 and keep in mind that I weigh 225lbs. I was riding a Spleene Door 164.

I rode from 3:30 to 4:30.

Most amazing I managed to stay upwind for most of the time.

I did walk up the beach twice as at first I was not dialed in well and I was edging too much.

All the time I rode the kite fully powered up and sheeted all the way in most of the time. I also flew the kite really low to make sure it was not a case of "more wind high up".

I only had a little trouble with the kite while getting ready to water start and whith the kite at the zenith. At the zenith it threatened to stall in the lulls and I had a couple of spooky moments as the kite drifted back, but keep in mind I'm talking about very low lulls. The flags on the houses at the beach were barely moving.

I could get some good speed especially if I worked the kite a fair bit.
The Speed 2 19 is definatly not just a park and ride kite.

The water was really glassy and just so smooth to ride over. Never experienced that before. The total lack of waves definatly helped me go faster.

Unlike my previous low wind session when I turned I would sink a bit, especially towards the end. It helped a lot for me to bring my body up vertically just before turning the kite and throwinfg my weight back to load up the kite while turning.

Unfortunatly I did not shoot any video, because a friend who was going to drive by and take some video went home when he checked the wind sensor and was convinced I would not be going out.

The forcast is for low wind all week so I should be able to film something soon.

Here's the windgraph with the session time highlighted.
Yea I know it seems crazy, but the wind was definatly way lighter than it was in the low wind video I posted e week or two ago.

Here is the wind graph.

Cheers

Fred

Here are links to a previous low wind session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoRdOXnj06o

And here is a video of me testing the speed on the beach in really low wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H54nhmdTVfI

And here is one of me hauling ass in 12mph.... jumps were no where near what I can get now that I have got used to the kite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihRlWbJiZsE
Attachments
Topanga 03 03 07.gif
Topanga 03 03 07.gif (17.83 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 pm

the speed2 has proven itself as the single most impressive kite for lightwinds and for hangtime!

get a demo NOW!

tony

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:38 pm

You guys are like the devil's candy!

I had a Speed 1 and didn't really like it. Tips collapse in light wind. Slow turning. Bridles stretching and shrinking and who knows? After the first 3 months it was just never the same kite. Maybe I just wasn't techie enough the figure it all out.

Anyway, after reading about the Silverarrow I'm getting tempted again :-?

Return to “Kitesurfing”