forum for kitesurfers

funky
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurf rookie with wakeboard...

Postby funky » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:40 am

Hello to all! :D

After seeing some videos of kitesurfing i thought this is the S*IT!

I bought the 3m Best trainer and been for handling training (from land) for a total of 25-30 hours and raising.

I can say with some confidence that i can handle the kite with eyes closed, but have no board experience, i ve only done a bit of windsurfing from summer to summer, just rookie stuff max to 6 knots!

After mastering a bit the handling of the kite i think its time to go for the real thing! I ve ordered a liquid force menace 10m and already have a wakeboard, would it be suitable for a beginner???(considering i have no board exp)

ps. I cant get the kitesurfing out of my head for
the past two months, its driving me nuts! i think about it more than my girlfriend :P lol

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:08 am

Get a couple of lessons and demo some equipment.

The correct board and kite depend on your weight, board size, wind and water conditions, riding style and your preferences.

Ed

BizB
Frequent Poster

Postby BizB » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:24 am

ps. I cant get the kitesurfing out of my head for
the past two months, its driving me nuts! i think about it more than my girlfriend lol
Welcome to the stoke. Note: this doesn't change much with increased kite activity. That is to say, you'll continue to think about kiting more than your girl - maybe even more.

In all seriousness, you'll find that lessons are worth every penny. There's more to learning to kiteboard than sending the kite and getting on plane. A lot more. By taking lessons, you'll have the opportunity to try different kites, you'll be instructed on things that you'd never think to ask, you'll abuse someone else's equipment instead of your own, and you'll make kiteboarding friends. Your instructor will be able to advise you on which gear will be the right gear for you, and likely will be able to sell you the equipment you need.

Most people will tell you that a wakeboard has too much rocker to be used as a kiteboard. I can't say first hand.... I took lessons, bought the right gear and made some great friends when I got into the sport.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:36 am

First things first....everybody will say this. TAKE A LESSON. IT will save you time, and keep you and people around you safe. We're not saying this to discourage you, but from experience, what we've seen firsthand. It is not a distrust of your abilities.
Secondly, welcome to the stoke...once you get into it..there is no way back.

When that is said and done....what is the reason for your question? If is a monetary issue, then yes you can probably get away with it, I know of a guy that did use his wakeboard for a long time. However if you are wondering if they are the same then no. A kite specific board will probably give you a lot more pleasure, since you ride a wakeboard and a kiteboard completley different...as far as I can see...I tried my kiteboard as a wakeboard and I could ride but overall it did suck. I do think a kiteboard will get you further.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:53 am

yes, you need lessons!

If you want to go with the wakeboard, make sure to have straps on it, not bindings. With bindings it gets very dangerous. The start is tougher and in some occasions you just want to kick your board away. If you can't do that, then one day your knees will stop you from kiting...

Enjoy the stoke!

Greets
Toby

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:30 pm

Hi
1) take lessons
2) if you are money tight then can make your self a wooden board ( I have 2 of them and they rock !! ), it will work far way better than a wake-board.

go into phpbb/viewforum.php?f=107 and you will find a lot of info how to build your own board for little money.

Saludos & have fun

funky
Rare Poster

Postby funky » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:59 pm

Thanks for all the answers guys, lessons lessons lessons, yeah?! lol

what about the kites size and the kite itself, good for me, the beginner?(winds in my area are 8-25 knots approx.)

And, do you know any shops that take monthly payments?

Kind regars,
Yannis

Rimbo
Medium Poster

Postby Rimbo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:46 pm

Learning with a wakeboard is very hard, especially with bindings. No fun and a lot of bitchin' is the result (have seen it once).

Buy a cheap ass board (twintip), of buy some pads&straps. But remember, a wakeboard is usable but not designed for kiteboarding.

I think a 2003 kiteboard, about 140cm long is a good buy, you should find one for about 100 euro's!

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:04 pm

I agree with rimbo here. Also on a wakeboard it is harder to go upwind. To know more what kite size you nedd we need your weight....

Welcome to the sport.

funky
Rare Poster

Postby funky » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:16 pm

dwarf wrote:I agree with rimbo here. Also on a wakeboard it is harder to go upwind. To know more what kite size you nedd we need your weight....

Welcome to the sport.
My weight is more or less 79kgr, around 174 pounds. So... is the kite good?

ps. nice to see all you crazy heads :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”