How do you fold your 14m Rebel?

Forum for kitesurfers
Sharone
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you fold your 14m Rebel?

Postby Sharone » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:57 am

I have a 14m Rebel and I really like the kite. I used about 10 times, and the only two issues I have with is are some what minor.

The first – self-launching. It is a tricky balance between too much to too little sand on the tip (I know it was covered in this forum before).

The second – Packing the kite efficiently after deflating it.

Between the leading edge battens and the trailing edge battens, I find it hard to quickly fold the kite to fit it into the bag.
In my experience the best way is to fold it twice long way before rolling it. It is a pain in the ass if it windy at all.

My question is how do you fold your 14m Rebel?

:bye:

Hong Kong Phooey
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hong Kong Phooey » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:14 am

In my experience the best way is to fold it twice long way before rolling it
Yep, I fold the leading edge and mini battens over so that I can be sure the battens are not bent in half/broken, roll it up, then fold over the back of the roll so that it will fit in the bag, (or more usually put it unfolded in my board bag).

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Or you could try, roll from both ends to the middle. Fold it in half and stick it in the bag....

Works for me..

As for self launch, I drift launch mine. Only a bit of sand on the board required....

kiter2383
Rare Poster

Postby kiter2383 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:56 am

As far as folding the rebel i remove the wing tip battens andthen it can be folded in three just like any other kite that does not have them. Where i ride is a very rocky area and there is no sand to self launch so i do a drift launch from the water. I rig the kite and then I walk out with the lines rolled in the bar and let them out as i walk( all four at the same time, make sure not to dump them all at once or they will be crossed), once they are off the bar i place the kite leading edge down and let it drift, then just pull on one outside line and let it catch air and then just keep the tension and it will fly off the water.

hope this helps

laterz

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:36 am

Because I travel via air with my kites a fair amount , I am always keen how those tricky chinese get the kites folded so small out of the factory. So i usually pay attention when i unfold it for the first time.

Here's what i do on my 10 and 14 rebel to get them to fold up small. Leave the batens in. Fold each tip towards the center strut so that the top tip of the wing tip baten is just at the bottom of the 1st cam batten closest to the center strut. (Not all the way to the center strut, but almost).

then roll each end up from the outside toward the center along the leading edge. then you can fold it cleanly so that the cam battens are all on one side of the fold and the two tip battens are on the other side of the fold.

fits well into the bag after that.

this technique works well on the driveway, your mileage will probably vary in a howling 30 knot wind on the beach.

Return to “Kitesurfing”