Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do Bow kites have a better low end than SLEs?

forum for kitesurfers

pappss
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Do Bow kites have a better low end than SLEs?

Postby pappss » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:38 pm

I've been flying bow kites for about 18 months now (Crossbow, Switchblade, Turbo Diesels) but have been looking at buying a SLE due to pricing and availability.

Invariably I get to try someone else's kite when it is light and puffy and one thing I've noticed is that 12m kites such as the Boxer SLE and Waroo don't seem to plane as quickly as the 12m bows.

Is this a fair generalisation? There might be a few reasons:

1. The Naish kites are on 20m lines. To test this I put a Boxer on 27m lines and it still seemed a bit gutless.

2. Bow kites have a higher projected area. This can't be the whole answer as a 12m Switchblade tends to be more powerful than a flatter 12m Crossbow, I guess because of the draft.

3. The concave leech is more efficient. I don't know how much extra efficiency this adds.

4. I'm not flying them properly. Bow kites prefer the one sweep and then keep everything still technique unlike sine wave C-kite sweeping. The Waroo seems to prefer the bow kite technique and I couldn't work out what worked best for the Naishes.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:37 am

Only you know the answer to this question, as it's only what works for you that counts.

all other things being = the kite with higher projected area should have more pull, or the kite with the deeper centre chord, draft, should have more pull.

but don't forget that there is no real standard for sle/bow size measurement, you need to consider the total range of a kite,not just the top or bottom end.

just fly them and buy the one that fills the gap best.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:01 am

The term "bow" is slang and often used to describe many flat kites. I presume you might mean ones with a more concave trailing edge ..but I am not sure.

And all "bow" kites are SLE kites since they all have Supported Leading Edge.

And I do not think that the shape of the trailing edge directly correlates with low wind performance.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Do Bow kites have a better low end than SLEs?

Postby purdyd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:44 am

pappss wrote:I've been flying bow kites for about 18 months now (Crossbow, Switchblade, Turbo Diesels) but have been looking at buying a SLE due to pricing and availability.

Invariably I get to try someone else's kite when it is light and puffy and one thing I've noticed is that 12m kites such as the Boxer SLE and Waroo don't seem to plane as quickly as the 12m bows.

Is this a fair generalisation?.
no -

the crossbow can produce a lot of power when it is sheeted in and stalled produces a lot more power than the waroo when it is sheeted in and stalled

with the crossbow - you dive it and pretty much leave it alone and control the power with sheeting - you learn after awhile to just about give up sining

the waroo - has some of this but you get more out of sining and moving the kite

so i would match them up for me and in fact the kite that really impressed me was the sonic 11m, i could go up wind in less wind than the crossbow 12m - but it required kite and board speed and when you sheet in a sonic, there is almost no power

so - if you have been on the crossbow/switchblade - you need to relearn how to move the kite around

the switchblade 2 is another sine the kite to get power kite - at least in the smaller sizes

the beauty of the crossbow is that it produces that nice power without moving the kite and it can be very handy in gusty winds with lulls or punching out through waves

i don't know particularly what design feature determines this but it seems to me that the 'grunty' kites fly back in the window more and the light fly them to produce power kites fly farther out

one common feature i have noticed is the size of the leading edge

big leading edge kites seem to fly farther back in the window and be gruntier

for example the contra compared to the crossbow

contra is big leading edge big pull
crossbow is smaller leading edge less pull

the kite that sort of breaks that trend to me was the waroo pro which has a very small leading edge - it pulls more like a big leading edge kite but goes up wind like a small leading edge kite

good luck but i think since you are so used to the crossbow, it will be hard for you to hop right onto any other kite and feel it has the same amount of power without giving it a few days

David

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:42 am

I have used the 06 Sonic 11 and the Switchblade II 12m extensively in light wind. There is no appreciable difference. I have regularly been riding when others riding Crossbows etc have not been able to ride.

The Sonic is a more technical kite to fly and the lighter bar pressure makes it a bit easier and restful for a skilled kiter to fly. The Switchblade is a lot more solid in the air and a lot more forgiving of rider errors.

My honest opinion is that the provided the kite is decent in the first place then the kite makes minimal difference. The main difference is rider skill and the board. I and my friends are not particularly great at tricks but we are really good at trimming the kite and board to get maximum power in minimal conditions. We also ride fairly wide twintips in light winds.

Some kites are just crap to start with. The Link was appallingly bad when it first came out. Presumably the legenday red bridle will fix the problems.

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby lezo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:10 pm

Ozbungy, sorry being OT, but could you give me the width of your twin tip and your weight? Do I remember well you told to go upwind from 12 knots?

I am still not decided what lightwind TT should I make this winter for my Sonic 11m.

Anyway, winter has not started yet in Europe, yesterday we had a great New Years Eve wave session in 25-30 knots, not cold for one second...

Return to “Kitesurfing”