Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

pulleys and kites dont mix...period.

forum for kitesurfers

ezskanker
Medium Poster

pulleys and kites dont mix...period.

Postby ezskanker » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:20 pm

I know this subject has been talked about alot, but here goes again..
Ive replaced the single pulleys on my rrd hyper with ronstan 20101

these:

And I did this originally as I had my bridle snap on me because of pulley wear. The only problem now is that the new pulleys keep getting jammed up with grit and sand that's stoping them running free. I wash them with water after each session but they are slowly getting worse and Ive replaced my bridle section with dyneema (amsteel).

Anybody found any pulleys that dont get clogged up with dirt or a good alternative?

This seems to be a recurring problem.

pebbles
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

pulleys and kites dont mix...period

Postby pebbles » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:16 pm

I havn't tried this myself, but have thaught about using stainless rings.

pulleys bind and the lines will sometimes just ride over the pulley wheel.

not much of a difference, except the stainless rings don't get gunked up.

Anybody try this?

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Amen brotha,
Last edited by Bain on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevefwp
Rare Poster

Postby stevefwp » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:00 pm

You might want to try silicon grease as a barrier. Don't know if i would have any effect on the lines if it spread. I use it on the bearings of my landboard too stop sand and salt getting in and it seams to work.

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:02 pm

how about these:

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: Epickites kiteboarding

Postby Soleas » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:26 pm

The Ronstan 20101 works pretty well but has to be cleaned before each session. Cleaning is easy, you just roll it with your fingers a few times.

But the best pulley for kites out of my experience is the one shown by otte above. It's called RONSTAN KITE BLOCK 21-13101 and it's made for kites.
I check and clean mine whenever I wash the kite or if I park it on sand after being wet. Then logically sand sticks on and inside them. I dip both kite tips in water before I hit a session and they are clean. No big deal really.

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:58 pm

But the best pulley for kites out of my experience is the one shown by otte above. It's called RONSTAN KITE BLOCK 21-13101 and it's made for kites.
Nope not by a long shot. Everyone uses those... and the fuckout more oftern then not by getting so jammed that they're beyond all use.

Both of my boxer sles have had the front pulleys replaced with Riley pullyes. Sorry i cant find the exact ones but they are the same size as the ronstan kite pulleys, similar weight too. But they have a metal roller(brass i think) that is much much more resistant to becoming jammed up with sand and salt. I've seen similar Ronstans as well.

Much better then the plastic rollers and they seem to last a lot longer.

I believe GK used them on the 06 sonic, well my sonic came with them anyway.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:42 pm

I think kite companies will soon start to add compressed air pulley lubrication/cleaning systems to their kites that can be activated by pulling the seventh line on the iron lung super turkey loop. Just be sure you don't pull the donkey dick by accident since this can result in instant death looping and turns your 7m safety flyer into an unhooked 25m. Actually some new bars will come with a donkey dick warning buzzer that lets out a loud "hee haw" if you pull it accidently. Just don't confuse this feature with the safety horn button which can be activated either by pulling the yellow knob on the green side of the bar or twisting the green lever on the red side of the bar. It will also sound off if you pull any of the twelve orange safety releases located on the bar ends, wingtips, sixth and fifth lines, left hand bridle, or between the turn signals and brake lights on your new one pump inflatable harness. A second warning horn is incorporated in your self inflating coast guard approved class 4 impact vest with integrated helmet.

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:12 pm

surfingwithkites wrote:I think kite companies will soon start to add compressed air pulley lubrication/cleaning systems to their kites that can be activated by pulling the seventh line on the iron lung super turkey loop. Just be sure you don't pull the donkey dick by accident since this can result in instant death looping and turns your 7m safety flyer into an unhooked 25m. Actually some new bars will come with a donkey dick warning buzzer that lets out a loud "hee haw" if you pull it accidently. Just don't confuse this feature with the safety horn button which can be activated either by pulling the yellow knob on the green side of the bar or twisting the green lever on the red side of the bar. It will also sound off if you pull any of the twelve orange safety releases located on the bar ends, wingtips, sixth and fifth lines, left hand bridle, or between the turn signals and brake lights on your new one pump inflatable harness. A second warning horn is incorporated in your self inflating coast guard approved class 4 impact vest with integrated helmet.
I see that you went back to 2-line kites. Good for you.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:14 pm

surfingwithkites wrote:I think kite companies will soon start to add compressed air pulley lubrication/cleaning systems to their kites that can be activated by pulling the seventh line on the iron lung super turkey loop. Just be sure you don't pull the donkey dick by accident since this can result in instant death looping and turns your 7m safety flyer into an unhooked 25m. Actually some new bars will come with a donkey dick warning buzzer that lets out a loud "hee haw" if you pull it accidently. Just don't confuse this feature with the safety horn button which can be activated either by pulling the yellow knob on the green side of the bar or twisting the green lever on the red side of the bar. It will also sound off if you pull any of the twelve orange safety releases located on the bar ends, wingtips, sixth and fifth lines, left hand bridle, or between the turn signals and brake lights on your new one pump inflatable harness. A second warning horn is incorporated in your self inflating coast guard approved class 4 impact vest with integrated helmet.
:lol: best post of the year

Return to “Kitesurfing”