Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice needed: First directional board for surf (Stretch?)

forum for kitesurfers

sf631
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: 3rd Avenue, San Mateo
Style: freeride
Brand Affiliation: None

Advice needed: First directional board for surf (Stretch?)

Postby sf631 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:42 am

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm an advanced beginner looking to get into wave kiting ASAP. Because that's the direction I want to go, I'm looking to make my first purchased board a directional surfboard shape rather than going the TT route. I'm looking to use this for flat water & inland chop as well as mushy 3-6 foot surf, would like to be able to jump with it (no tricks, just want the experience of learning to boost). So probably strapped to start and in flat water, strapless in surf. I'm 195 lbs and 6'4", usually kite in 17-24mph conditions (SF bay area) and am an experienced paddle surfer

My question: I've got a line on a great deal for a Stretch F4 Quad (5'9") and wondering if you think this would be a reasonable size / type for me. I'm pretty sure most would point me towards something a bit bigger - more like 6'0" - but I'm looking for something as a substitute for a twin tip and will go looking for a higher priced & bigger sized surf-only board when I get some more experience and wisdom. I guess I'm really asking "would I find this board annoyingly under-sized?"

Thanks in advance.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Advice needed: First directional board for surf (Stretch

Postby ptraykovski » Tue May 18, 2010 2:53 pm

i'm a bit heavier than you (`210) and ride 5'8" and 5'10" stretch quads..the Yes models which are a bit thinner than the f4 but similar template. That is a good size if you want to ride strapped with a bit of kite power, not lit but not 2 sizes smaller than twin tipping. Coming from a twin tip background you will probably rig with some power at first . The smaller surfboads are not ideal for minimal kite power unstrapped surfy feel, but if you are a surfer you could just ride you regular short board (6 ft+) for that.

for boosting as a advanced beginner the twin tip is best as they fly so much better. smaller surfboards are better than big ones for boosting, and some guys who don't ride twins figure it out pretty well. flat water carving can be fun on the surf board and slashing up the chop can be fun also till you are ready for real waves

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue May 18, 2010 3:38 pm

If you're on the west coast and always ride powered, sure.
You might be a little big for a board under 6' though if you ever want to ride with less power, unhooked, more vertical style, or just in lighter wind.
to each his own, though, when it come to surf boards....

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Kiteosphere » Tue May 18, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. and I ride Stretch F4 TL2s 5'11" and 6'3". I also have a Slingshot Aviso 6'2" Cole Firefly. Of all the boards the 5'11" is my favorite. I've had all these boards out in everything from mushy beach break to macking reef breaks and they all work well. I have several of these used boards for sale all with pads and removable straps if you are interested PM me.
Attachments
IMG_0095.jpg

sf631
Rare Poster

Postby sf631 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. Yes, I'm thinking of this as a powered up board (it's a substitute for buying a twin tip) and to get a taste of kiting into waves at my surf break. Once I come anywhere close to unhooking and riding waves depowered I'll start shopping around for a bigger (and more lively flexing) board.

Sounds like good general experience with the F4 which is great to hear. I love the idea of quad fins for a kiteboard. My (paddle surf) shortboard is a thruster and my bigger wave minigun is a quad & the difference in down the line speed and stability is just incredible.

sf631
Rare Poster

Postby sf631 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:09 am

OK, I pulled the trigger on a Stretch Fletcher F4 quad, though I found a 6'1" (Tuflite) that I think will be a more suitable size for me especially in surf.

Unfortunately the board came without fins, so I'm in need of purchasing some before I can try the board out. Fortunately, I get to set the board up with the most appropriate fins for my size / conditions.

I came across this set of quad fins made by stretch that fit the bill, but am I looking for a different set of attributes out of fins for kiting than for traditional surfing? I'm planning to use this board as an all-around board (not just waves) that'll be mostly chop (3rd or Crissy), some flat water (Sherman) and hopefully coastal (Waddell, OB). I'm 6'4" 195, long time surfer (though always on thrusters)

http://www.amazon.com/FCS-SF-4-Stretch- ... K94ISE43TH

Thanks!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon May 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Honestly if that is where you ride,
I am jealous of the conditions
and the board!
Have fun!

Return to “Kitesurfing”