Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

poormans' spining leash

forum for kitesurfers

fokiten

poormans' spining leash

Postby fokiten » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:58 pm

One o my buds,,surfin buster.
Uses a standard rear line leash which he attaches just below his shackle?
wadya think??? sounds good to me,,,, no twisting ?
What am i missing?
whats the downside hear?
fokiten :roll:

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:31 am

That's how the photo at http://scka.org/images2/spinleash2.jpg originated. The leash was just moved from a rear line (as shown to me by LiteWave Dave, who got if from somebody in Britain) to a front line, in order to work with reverse launch bridles.

Note that the line from the shackle to the spreader is shown extra-long only for photo clarity, & it should run above the little "hook strut". Also, do NOT attach ANY shackle directly to a tubing covered trim loop, not even a Wichard 2673 (pictured).

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster

Postby WILCO » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:00 am

One o my buds,,surfin buster.
Uses a standard rear line leash which he attaches just below his shackle?
wadya think??? sounds good to me,,,, no twisting ?
What am i missing?
whats the downside hear?
fokiten
look at the topic: "rotable leash?" we're trying to work it out there.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:20 pm

Hi Fo, from the many experiments I've done with leashes I think the back line leash attached to a part of the shackle that swivels but doesn't release with the depower is definately the simplest, only reason I switched to a front line leash is so the leash stays in line with the depower.
I think the most important thing is testing it if you're thinking about it, under traction especially, and also having a shackle on the leash so if one day it doesn't depower the kite right you can ditch the lot.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:31 pm

There are some downsides with the rear line as safety.

If you connect it via the end of the bar, you will have a leash from your hook, to the end of the bar, which can be annoying.

If you use it straigth to your rear line leaders like I was proposing as an idea - you will get the lines unspun correctly every time - BUT, you will also get an odd slack and tension in the safety leash when your steer the kite, or depower it.
And the tension on the leash is in a bad direction, in respect to the fixed loop (interference...)

As said in the other thread - use a big "Y" on the fronts, with or without the schackle !

I am about to use and test this one now, without the schackle.
Not because of the expense of the schackle - but as mentioned I prefer pin releases and other std. good tested solutions (and low cost too) which can not open unintended.

The system will be like Mels existing, but without a schackle, and with the "banana" tubing and release.

In fact it will be just like the picture in the other thread, just with the safety line going through the front ring on a bigger "Y" instead of a rear line ring.

Then any bridle users are satisfied too.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:11 pm

mmmmmmmmm,
mmmmmmmmmmmmm,
mmm,
o,,,,tay
mmm
m :-?
I,,,,mmm
ok 8)

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:13 pm

fokiten wrote:mmmmmmmmm,
mmmmmmmmmmmmm,
mmm,
o,,,,tay
mmm
m :-?
I,,,,mmm
ok 8)
Fo ponders on the pros n cons of makin cats cradles ........

Ah can hear d gears turnin

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster

Postby WILCO » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:24 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:There are some downsides with the rear line as safety.

If you connect it via the end of the bar, you will have a leash from your hook, to the end of the bar, which can be annoying.

If you use it straigth to your rear line leaders like I was proposing as an idea - you will get the lines unspun correctly every time - BUT, you will also get an odd slack and tension in the safety leash when your steer the kite, or depower it.
And the tension on the leash is in a bad direction, in respect to the fixed loop (interference...)

As said in the other thread - use a big "Y" on the fronts, with or without the schackle !

I am about to use and test this one now, without the schackle.
Not because of the expense of the schackle - but as mentioned I prefer pin releases and other std. good tested solutions (and low cost too) which can not open unintended.

The system will be like Mels existing, but without a schackle, and with the "banana" tubing and release.

In fact it will be just like the picture in the other thread, just with the safety line going through the front ring on a bigger "Y" instead of a rear line ring.

Then any bridle users are satisfied too.
PF, can you please report on this front line setup, when it's finished (some pic's). But the main question I have is what do you mean with the big "y" at the leader? Cause I'm converting of a 3m leaders :oops: to short leaders with the big "y" setup. I'd like to know how long you're leaders are and how long the "y" is, etc...?

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:51 pm

"Peter_Frank" wrote:
I'd think you'd barely notice a line from the bar end to the center of the spreader (closer to your body than the end of the hook). Can somebody who's tried it report?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:19 am

kiteboarder@pacbell.net wrote:
"Peter_Frank" wrote:
I'd think you'd barely notice a line from the bar end to the center of the spreader (closer to your body than the end of the hook). Can somebody who's tried it report?
I have never had a line here myself - but the reason why I think it would be very annoying, is that after a lot of tricks with one or no hands, you often grab the bar (I do) with one hand in overhand grip, and the other in underhand grip, in the landing.

So when you reach for the bar from below, with underhand grip - you might interfere with the safety line to the end of the bar.

I don't know if it is so - as I havent tried it :roll:

Return to “Kitesurfing”