Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

CHICKEN LOOP ONLY

forum for kitesurfers

CHICKEN LOOP ONLY

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:00 pm

Ok here's a question. anyone else use the chicken loop only? I got rid of the harness loop because 1: I can't release from it and 2: I never use it anyway since I can adjust the power on my trim loop. anyone else see pros/cons of this? thanks.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:15 pm

Chicken loop only.

Pros:

1. You can get by with one simple loop only, not fixed to your spreader bar.

Cons:

1. You can not make one (backhanded) handed and no handed jumps (deadman f.ex).
2. You will get tired much faster, especially in light wind if you have to sinus.

All bars today have a release on the fixed loop.
And the fixed loops with releases are sold separately also - so you can just buy one.
BUT - if you are using your CL in your harness hook - it is no good with a fixed loop. It will fall out of the hook.
You have to attach your CL to your bar outside the hook, in order to take full advantage of the fixed loop.

Rv
Frequent Poster

Postby Rv » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:22 pm

Yes, I only use the trim loop. You can avoid the "cons" above by setting the trim so that you can ride with the bar fully out and sheet in only when you want a power boost. But then you get a new con: you can't sheet out without first adjusting the trim.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:37 pm

rv, yeah that's the way I've been riding...so I can land one and no handers because even with the chicken loop out I'm still fairly powered. using the trim loop to adjust as I go. It seems like chris gilbert kinda rides likes this with a four line fixed and a trim loop. same concept right? just ride with the chicken loop only and adjust it so you have about four inches of power/depower as per wind conditions and use trim to adjust. anyone else. thanks.

pluvious
Medium Poster

Postby pluvious » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:05 pm

fly arcs, cl only. the only way to go. :P

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:13 pm

yeah, I started with arcs and moved to leis...maybe that's why I like the cl only...hmmm.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:18 pm

I don't get the problem really ?

I won't say that its the right thing to do because everyone else does, or the best for you.
But it is still the setup used by almost every kiter: A fully sheetable depower attached to your spreader bar, and a fixed loop for occasionally use !

having tried all other different setups (locking bars and almost everything), I personally think the setup with a depower to your spreader, and a fixed loop, is the very best.
It is so widely used because of its ultimative freedom when in the depower only - you can stall the kite backwards, and fly it totally depowered. This is what most want to be able to, for total control.
And in the fixed loop, you are perfectly powered for doing special tricks/jumps - and as there is no chicken loop in the hook, it works so great and easy.
And you can always trim your fixed loop length to suit your personal trim, so you get exactly the amount of power you want in the fixed loop.
There is not time for adjusting the trim, especially not at competitions.
This is why quite long fixed loops are preferred by good riders - as they would be overpowered otherwise.

But what I was asking was - it sounds almost like this common setup is not good (for those answering to this topic at least...).

Reality is, that it seems to be the far superior setup for the majority of kiters.

Just wanted to say this - so you don't think you are totally "square" if you use this most used setup :wink:

SunStruck!
Medium Poster

Postby SunStruck! » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:27 pm

Chicken loop only for me too. I also like my set-up like Rv mentions. I have my lines roughly the same length when my trim strap is set to full power and my bar is resting against the stopper. That way I can ride no hands etc with plenty of power with my bar sitting a comfortable distance away. I do sacrifice depower range but it teaches you to edge real hard.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:34 pm

Cabrinha's Powerlock bar might be your solution. Locked power and the ability to sheet with only one loop. I think the loop itself needs a little work but it's a step in the right diection. Best regards. Stefan

Sean-CA
Medium Poster

Postby Sean-CA » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:07 pm

Hi,

Definately only CL for me as well, todays kite design with front line flyers allows to fly fully powered up when fully sheeted out. No problem with any no-handed or one-handed tricks.

Have not yet tried the Cab Powerlock system but hopefully I will get to it this weekend.

Sean

Return to “Kitesurfing”