Mutant or Not?

forum for kitesurfers

lbatbeach
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None

Mutant or Not?

Postby lbatbeach » Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:36 pm

I am looking for a light wind board for ocean conditions 10-15mph. I weigh 155lbs and my small board is a wavetray 142. I expect to ride my lightwind board with my R2 16. I am an intermediate kiter but I live at the beach and am improving.

I have been considering mutants over another TT. I figured the mutant board would give me more challenge and things to learn since it is semi directional. Does this make sense?
Any recommendations? Make, size? Would like to save some $$ by buying a 2002, but not if the 2003 are materially better.

Our waves are not that good here but riding waves is still my favorite. Thanks for your help.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:23 am

Mutants a great,

advantages are huge;
1. You go up wind better
2. you jump higher
3. wave ride better
4. More technical to ride, but ultimately more rewarding.
5. will load up more vs a twinny of the same size
6 plane really early.

disadvanges
1. More technical to ride
2. cant do skatey style tricks
3. cant ride in really shallow water without the fear of wrecking your board

P.S. If its a board you want just for wave riding you'd be better off with a directional than a mutant by a long shot.

MikeN
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby MikeN » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:57 am

I agree with all the above points made . I ride a 136 TT and have a mutant as my lightwind board . I have been trying to ride my mutant more and more because of the upwind ability . Can hit lots of sections on shitty waves and go down wind a long way then shoot back with min effort . Still love to go out on the TT though as it is so easy to ride and can have more fun on it until you have to go back upwind .
Disagree to a point on the fact that the mutant is a better board on the wave face , personally prefer the TT .

Mo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Mo » Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:29 am

I got the new Mutant 5'4" lately. I use directionals. It is great board in terms of upwind ability. I find it a bit heavier than other boards of same size. It starts well after 10knots not before.

It is very nice on the waves and help you build some extra skills as it is in the middle b/w TT and dir.

Regards,
MO

lbatbeach
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby lbatbeach » Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone give a review or point to one, for 2002 Naish 5'2" Mutant vs, the 2003 either 5'0 or 5'4". I read the reviews on boardhigh.com but they didnt really make a comparison. There is a 5'2 for sale on iwindsurf.com for a good deal but want more info before going for it.

LB

Return to “Kitesurfing”