Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding vs. Kitesurfing :For traveling purposes

forum for kitesurfers

Kiteboarding vs. Kitesurfing :For traveling purposes

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:41 am

If you are travelling by plane and you say that you are carrying kitesurf equipment they will automatically charge you extra for your luggage. if you say kiteboarding....they will not charge you. The key word is "surf" anytime you say this word it signals red flags with the airlines and they will charge. Snowboards , wakeboards and kneeboards are free.

The last i flew i said kiteboards and almost, almost got billed extra coz the lady knew that kiteboarding and kitesurfing gear are one and the same.

Call what you do whatever you want but please,PLEASE when flying....cut the usage of the word Kitesurfing coz pretty soon all the airlines will make kitebaording equipment no different from windsurfing / surfing equipment and charge us. That will make travel more expensive.

When they ask what a kiteboard is: You say that it is simmilar to a snowboard but used in the water......If they say: Is it like a surfbaord....you say: No...it is like a kneeboard.....you use it in the water....If they say: Do you surf with it....You say: No, we use a kite to drag us like a wakeboard.

DO NOT USE THE WORD SURF.....hence Once flying: The sport we all do is called : KITEBOARDING.......Is that clear.

h2oslider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby h2oslider » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:11 am

Not true, If you even use the word board, they'll charge you. I've been wakeboaridng for years and always get my wallet emptied if I tell them its a wakeboard.

I just tell them I'm going camping, or else that they are kites. Heck I've even gotten away with calling them golf clubs.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:17 am

And if they open them.....what then....golf clubs..then they see a board.........

Not ture about boards.....snowboards which are almost identical to kiteb oards are free. Check with the website of the airlines for restrictions.

h2oslider
Medium Poster

Postby h2oslider » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:56 am

If they see the board....so what at least you tried.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:16 am

How about,,,personal sunshades,,like tents,,,lots o string to tye them down,,
and a small hand held shield for water ballon fights,,,your serious about beach activitys,,,its that ozone thing,,,your concerened about
:thumb:

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:01 am

Its fucking discriminatory is what it is. They don't charge for golf clubs, they dont charge for skis, they arent supposed to charge for water skis or snowboards.

Shit, I know more people that take more extra underwear, shoes, shorts, shorts, toiletries, etc, et and other unneceesary crap than I could fit in my board bag...and they dont get charged!!!!

BASTARDS!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

we need representation!!!

roberto

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:57 am

the key word is to call them waterskis and to see with you travel agant so that he can put a statment that it is water with dimension (make is smaller) of your boardbag !!!!

I travel all over the world and I can tell you this works pretty well waterskis are free of charge in all the companies

Greg

Steve
Rare Poster

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:37 pm

One of the key factors in why the airlines charge for what they do has to do with durability. Surfboards and windsurfers can get damaged and be costly to repair and are typically very long. Kiteboards are durable like snowboards, golf clubs & skis so hopefully when they eventually make an official policy it will be free. I pretty much tell them golf clubs or snowboard and everything works out fine. I agree, avoid the surf word at all cost. I find it surprising that another poster said they charge for wakeboards, but I would never put it past them. Also you can use the sky cap and slip them a nice tip, they won't say a word and you don't have to lug you bag through line. If this isn't working pick the nicest ticket agent and be overly nice to them. This can't be stressed enough, it is totally up to the discression of the agent as to weather you get charged or not. I've gotten windsurfers and surfboards through for free this way. Let others go ahead of you if need be to avoid the hard ass agents.

Cheers,
Steve

mantismaster
Medium Poster

Postby mantismaster » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:53 am

I called the airlines about kiteboards and they said they charged for kiteboards and snowboards. I think they charge by size maybe amnd not what the package is. I don't know though.

Rhode Island kite freak
Medium Poster

Postby Rhode Island kite freak » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:20 am

I stuffed all my kite gear in my snowboard bag and didn't get charged, (150cm bag)

Return to “Kitesurfing”