Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Croatia

forum for kitesurfers

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitesuffer » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:14 pm

I am about to embark on an extended trip through Europe and wanted to know what the kitesurfing was like in on the Dalmatian coast. I know about the Golden Horn on Brac but it looks like it could be too busy. Are there other good spots? Are there many sandy beaches - a lot of photos make the beaches look rocky! When & where are the best winds?

Thanks in advance

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:34 am

The question that most commonly plagues all kitesurfers....

When and where does it blow?

Now if we could only find a being that could answer this for us.

Seriously, I was over that way once a long time ago, but their was no such thing as kitesurfing at the time. I have a couple of times thought back about that area for kiteboarding. I'd be interested in hearing any available info on it.

Johnny

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:14 am

Croatian coast is very long and there are quite a lot of places where you can surf and/or even kitesurf. In the summer time, I'd recommend south part of the croation coast (Dalmatia). A few places:
-Island Brac
Definately worth visiting. Yes, the Golden Horn will be busy during the day and it will be forbidden to kitesurf there, but just a hundered meters away there will be dedicated (and reserved) spot for kitesurf launching. Usualy, you'll get around 4bf NW wind (maestral) every day. Also, do not forget to visit two other places on island Brac: Supetar (nerby where the car ferry lands), which is a good sport for S wind (30% more power than in Bol) and and Povlja for NE wind. So you have all wind conditions covered. (Get more info on http://www.zutimacak.hr).

-Peljesac
More to the south. Great spot. Maestral wind (NW), usually around 5bf starts in the afternoon, many times, you'll also get 3bf S wind in the morning. Enough place to launch the kite, side shore wind, the spot closes to the bay (good for beginners). (I will be there fom 20th of July till at least 10th of August.)

Some other spots, more to the north:
-Umag (close to Slovenia border)and Premantura (near Pula) in Istria

-Island Krk (near towns Punat and Baska)

In general, there are many other places where you can kite. Just look around a little bit and try to find a good spot to launch a kite. Also, kitesurfing is not yet forbidden at the croatian coast IN GENERAL (and we would like to keep it this way) so please be carefull not to launch the kite in the crowded places.

Hope this helps just a little bit...

Regards,
Damjan

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:15 am

Hello im new in kite but old in windsurf. In croatia is also one good spot called Peliesac. This is place between island korcula and land. They are lots of camp direct in beach. My friend kitesurfer is right now there and hi talk about very good condition for kiting

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:25 am

FANTASTIC guys. Thanks a lot and keep it coming.

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:17 pm

Hi Damjan,
We finally got our Croatian road atlas and we can't find Peljesac.

Can you give me more info? Which Island?? Nearest town??

Thanks

Mike

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:12 am

Peljesac is on south is a half island near island korcula and the city with camps is Orebic

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:11 am

How crowded would Peljesac be in april? does it still blow northwest at this time, hoping for a short visit but not too keen if its too crowded.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:58 pm

Hi
I'v heard that kiting on Peljesac is after a few accidents vorbiden.
Cro kiter

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:37 pm

Do not know about April, but in the summer there are way to many windsurfers there... No sandy beaches, only rocks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”