Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

surface area or volume

forum for kitesurfers

surface area or volume

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:12 pm

which would be a better board to learn on 1-a150x43 square tipped board with low volume,or 2-165x35 narrow tipped high volume board.
can you help

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:20 pm

hear's the deal,,
first learnin,,the reality of beeing able to scoot across the water seems remote,,,on the other hand the kite fear,,,is oh so present,mm,thats the difference in boards,,,,,phycolgicall<sp) back to the deal,,short angry miggitt (sorry little people)thats how you gatta stroke the kite,,,,
If ya do the little fat board,,,if ya don't the longer one,,,,back to the deal,,,
the kite fear is good,,,,,,but now it's time to stroke the kite,,,about stroken,,a full stroke ends in the sky,,thats important,,,you gotta go back up,,that said, You Have to full dive to full up,,short and powerful,a >short angry miggit,,,then your on your way,,,, scootin,,,hard to belive? but true
fokiten

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:21 pm

Definitely the long narrow volume board, no doubt.

As you then progress, you might want a short wide thin board.

But for learning, go for the long narrow one :thumb:

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:58 pm

yeh long and thin, when you learn you'll be standing on top of the board for a lot of the time, and the longer board is more directionally stable, you only need a shorter board once you let the harness take all your weight and begin to rail the board.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:09 pm

fokiten wrote:hear's the deal,,
first learnin,,the reality of beeing able to scoot across the water seems remote,,,on the other hand the kite fear,,,is oh so present,mm,thats the difference in boards,,,,,phycolgicall<sp) back to the deal,,short angry miggitt (sorry little people)thats how you gatta stroke the kite,,,,
If ya do the little fat board,,,if ya don't the longer one,,,,back to the deal,,,
the kite fear is good,,,,,,but now it's time to stroke the kite,,,about stroken,,a full stroke ends in the sky,,thats important,,,you gotta go back up,,that said, You Have to full dive to full up,,short and powerful,a >short angry miggit,,,then your on your way,,,, scootin,,,hard to belive? but true
fokiten

I want to point out: That the short fat board is the proper choice for a
person who knows what it is to be at ease,,at speed,,on the water,,this person will adapt,,,imeadeatly to the shoter rig,,the non-waterman has a lot of geting acquainted with,,the long board for him, the physc- factor is real,,,,,,thats the deal with learning
fokiten

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:37 pm

yeh but thinner tipped boards have more progressive turning. they feel less sketchy.

the volume will help a bit in finding the board and getting it on.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:32 am

why not get a 167 x 49 as a beginner board then use it as a light wind board later. I have a LFT as my light wind board and when I teach friends they stand on it almost immediately. It's a platform! just a thought.
J

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:18 am

the longer board with a bit of volume will help you progress faster in the first runs.Easier to get up and going,should be better for going upwind.If you can stay upwind its more time to learn transitions and jumping.Go for the smaller board later as you progress you will want to go more powered as it easier to go upwind and gives you more height for jumping. :thumb:

fakade
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fakade » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:27 am

Hi,

I would go for the "Guest #1"'s sugestion.
I would like to add that board choice has a lot to do with each rider background on wakeboarding/surfing/windsurfing and water sports in general (in what concerns the board choice).
I would bet on length and width and completly forget the volume issue. The less the volume the better (a beginner or "big" board never has few volume anyway!). If you go this way, you can keep to that board for longer and by not having to change board soon, you will progress much faster. This comes from my personal experience: when i changed from my ahd 185x45 to a smaller board because the ahd could only be ridden in decent winds in flat water, i came back to 0 on my jumping skills.
I think that a "thin" 175x45 or 165x40 will be fine depending on your weight, kite size and conditions.
The 165x35 is definitly a too narrow board to learn if you are more than 70 kg and are not good at board water sports. If you are a light weight (< 70 kg) and you are a experienced with a board water sports, the other board you mention can be a option as long as it hasn't got too much rocker nor a round outline. That is unlikely, so i think you should forget it also.
Can't you tell us what boards you are talking about?

I hope this helps,

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:56 pm

thinking back i learnt on a 165 x 39, brunotti 2 faced.
not that big at all really.

Return to “Kitesurfing”