West Oz Wind and weather?

forum for kitesurfers

vide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

West Oz Wind and weather?

Postby vide » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:47 pm

I am thinking of heading to Western Oz in a few weeks. What is the weather and wind likely to be like at different parts of the coast?

Thanks

DT

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:00 am

Dave

Weather will probably be great if you are into boating and fishing and surfing. I think that from now until August its pretty much pot luck with the wind as far as kiting goes. Sure we will still get wind but its just hard to say that over Easter expect 15-20 knots SSW every day. We might get lucky and get a few days of strong easterlies along with a few days of good seabreezes. We don’t tend to start getting the frontal winds until mid may

Last year I managed about 10 sessions on the water over the Month of April which was the worst month of the year :cry: . But the upside was that I had a great April surfing :D

Check out these sites for a bit of weather info.

http://www.oceanoutlook.com.au/forecast ... ecast.html

http://www.seabreeze.com.au

might be better down south with a more SE wind pattern on the go, just need to have a look at the charts and take a punt.

Hope it helps

Shane

vide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vide » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:44 am

Thanks Shane.

I thought WA was supposed to be windy all year :roll:

Looks like I will be either flying north to Exmouth and then driving to Perth over a week, or flying South to Esperance and driving north. I'll be with the missus, and while she is cool with me kiting a lot, it isn't 'supposed' to be a kiting only trip. :wink:

Is there a good chance i'll still get the odd 15-20 sebreeze either up north or down south? If I can have a good kite every second day I'll be happy. I dont ask much :D

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:56 am

Dave Wa is windy most of the time consitently for 6 months of the year and inconsistant for the other 6 months. You just need to be flexible if you can and be prepared to drive a bit

Both of those options sound good. I am no expert on the weather patterns to the north or south of the local perth area. Obviously the Exmouth down to Perth option will have warmer weather and possibly the chance of a kite at Exmouth, turtle dodging in Coral bay, reef running on tombstones Gnarloo, jumping dolphins at Sharks bay, jumping Gorges in Kalbari, world renowned and classic Gearldton, catch crayfish on ya transitions at Dongra, Honeymoon bay in Cervanties looping out at Lancilan along with all the local attractions.

The southern route would see the possibility of a SE wind pattern and kiting and surfing and fishing at Esperence in all its rugged beauty , Breamer bay, Albany whale chasing, Denmark, the fabulous Walpole, Flat water expression session at Augusta, Double overhead lip smakers at Marget river, flat water sand bar hoping at Australind.

I am sure that over a week period you will get a couple of kites in. Bring all your kites if you can.

Have fun ya bastard.

shane

Return to “Kitesurfing”