Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which technique to turn kite???

forum for kitesurfers

Which technique to turn kite???

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:10 am

Just starting to kiteboard this year, and have been watching instructional videos over and over before the season starts. In "Get'n School'd" the way to turn the kite is that you turn the bar, while in "Boost II" the method is to pull on one side of the bar. Which is best, and for what reason? Will it make a difference as I progress in the sport, doing different jumps, or wave riding? Thanks :-? :-?

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:19 am

i've never seen either video, but i can tell you this: turning the bar, as in turning a steering wheel does absolutely nothing. pull on the left side of the bar and the kite will turn left. pull on the right side and...you get the picture! :thumb:

staticspeed
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Turning kites

Postby staticspeed » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:31 am

If you can turn the kite very much like a steering wheel of a car, can you imagine what the kites are doing when kiters are looping :o

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:32 am

An anology that a friend I was trying to teach came up with is that if you are hooked into the harness and facing the kite, it is like steering an bicycle.

Imagine that the harness attachment point at the bar is the headset and the front fork is sticking out of the bottom of the bar perpendicular the harness line. You are holding on to the handle bars.

Just about everybody has ridden a bike, right? As long as you are facing the kite it is just like steering a bicycle.

A remote-controlled rocket-powered bicycle .

Once you spend enough time with a trainer kite and get a feel for how it turns you can practice with a bigger kite in very light winds in a wide open space. Eventually you will steer the kite by feel, only glanging at it ocassionally.

Return to “Kitesurfing”