Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

help is needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forum for kitesurfers

help is needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:37 pm

i'm loking to buy a kite for 10 to 16 nots of wind
i'm reely a windsurfer mor then a kiteboarder
so i'm looking for a low wind range kite
help me wich kite is the best for me???????
mach 2 - 16m
north rhaino2- 16m
cabrinha bt - 17m
gastra gxr- 16.5
also which board wil work for me ( only twin tip)
i meen which size( all the 2003 boards are very small)
f one- sk8
f- one -stayl 149
north- dragon or defender
gastra
cabrinha- vari 148
thank's for every guy will answer
radical :roll:

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:02 am

you can have my 6.3 c-quad if you like.
grab a piece o ply and you da man!!!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:39 am

Depends on your weight. At 70 - 80 kgs. a kite in the 16 to 17m range will be good for 10 to 16 knots. Many people would recommend that you learn with a smaller kite - around 12m, however, it is certainly possible to learn with a larger kite.

You should at least spend some time flying a small trainer kite, before going out with your traction kite - your kite (& your ass) will thank you for it.

Probably not a good idea to get a really high aspect kite at first, but, again, it could be done.

As for the board, you would do yourself a favour if you got hold of a large board, either a directional or a twintip, to learn on. Used big boards can be bought very cheap. They will make learning much easier initially.

IMHO the most important factor in learning is not the equipment but the CONDITIONS where you are learning. You will not feel comfortable in strong winds at first: if you have some where you can run downwind it will give you a lot more time on board to develop your feel for planing with the kite. Shallow water will also help a lot as it will make crashes less traumatic & time consuming. In ideal conditions it is possible to get the hang of kiteboarding quite quickly. :P In difficult conditions you will spend a lot of time swimming. :cry:

Finally, forget the idea of "windsurfing-when-it's-over-16-knots". Soon you'll be getting a complete quiver of kites :advise:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:41 am

Depends on your weight. At 70 - 80 kgs. a kite in the 16 to 17m range will be good for 10 to 16 knots. Many people would recommend that you learn with a smaller kite - around 12m, however, it is certainly possible to learn with a larger kite.

You should at least spend some time flying a small trainer kite, before going out with your traction kite - your kite (& your ass) will thank you for it.

Probably not a good idea to get a really high aspect kite at first, but, again, it could be done.

As for the board, you would do yourself a favour if you got hold of a large board, either a directional or a twintip, to learn on. Used big boards can be bought very cheap. They will make learning much easier initially.

IMHO the most important factor in learning is not the equipment but the CONDITIONS where you are learning. You will not feel comfortable in strong winds at first: if you have some where you can run downwind it will give you a lot more time on board to develop your feel for planing with the kite. Shallow water will also help a lot as it will make crashes less traumatic & time consuming. In ideal conditions it is possible to get the hang of kiteboarding quite quickly. :P In difficult conditions you will spend a lot of time swimming. :cry:

Finally, forget the idea of "windsurfing-when-it's-over-16-knots". Soon you'll be getting a complete quiver of kites :advise:

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:50 am

save yourself some money and get a full quiver of kites and a board now, because you will never want to windsurf after you learn to kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”