Trouble standing up-need help

Forum for kitesurfers
Muckie
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trouble standing up-need help

Postby Muckie » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:19 pm

Have been tring to kitesurf for about 4 weeks now. Have no problem controlling kite or body dragging but am still having difficulty getting up. Normally when i try to get up, i come out of of the water and then flop forward over my board. Have done some wakeboarding, how similar is getting out water wakeboarding to kiting? Anyway would appreciate if somebody could explain correct techninque.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:26 pm

Very similar but different. The one thing I notice with beginners is they normally do one of two things, have the board slide sideways uncontrollabel or go over the top of the board.

As you dive the kite and its start to pull, aim your board in the direction of the kite and then start turning the board on its edge, it might help.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:34 pm

like guest said, start off the same as wake boarding and follow the kite like it's a boat. once you have enough speed, then you can cut back and go against the wind.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:37 pm

hi muckie, you're probably diving your kite too fast down to start, at first start with a little sine high up in the window and if you don't get enough power dive it harder/faster longer, more central. Also keep the baord right up close to your bum, you can even kite like this then get up at leasure. So sit on that board and you'll see how little power you need to get outa the water.
if you're trying to start with your legs straight you'll get yanked out of the water. When the kite pulls you onto the baord push you front leg out to give the board direction and speed then lean back and turn upwind.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:33 pm

For the too-longest time I would get pop'd up and end up face planted...even when the board was mostly pointed downwind.

It turns out, like in the post prior, I simply dived the kite too low. Start your power stroke farther back and end it higher - the kite will help keep you upright.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:15 am

try thinking about the kite initially "lifting" you onto the board rather than pulling you like a wakeboard. i had the same problem in the beginning. i would dive the kite really fast thinking that i needed speed to get my board up on a plane. then i realized that at the start of the powerstroke its almost like doing a jump. you get a small amount of lift which lifts you up onto the board. immediately point your board toward the kite and then the powerstroke will pull you forward like on a wakeboard. as soon as you start to plane turn that board upwind and away from the kite...at least in theory thats how i did it. keep at it...it'll come and then you will truly know the meaning of "addiction!"

good luck

Waterstart..

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:24 pm

The way I was taught - if you wanna go to the left (for example), then move the kite to the right of the zenith and down a bit at the edge of the window (how far down depends on the wind strength), then quickly bring the kite round (anticlockwise) and across the window to the left, diving it when you feel the power start to drop off.. This gives you lift, and steady power enabling you to get up and more importantly stay up. This ain't necessary if the wind is very strong tho...!

Djizasse
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Djizasse » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:26 pm

this weekend a friend of mine tried his first waterstarts, he's also a snowboarder and i noticed he distributed his weight evenly between the two legs, as soon he dived the kite and got going, the board would turn too much to the side of the kite and would slip. i told him to put more pressure in the back leg and to try and flex the back knee and strech the forward leg a little, that worked well for him, he got up and going, now he just needs to practice his sining

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:43 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”