Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Another rider having problems staying upwind!

forum for kitesurfers

redsc1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Another rider having problems staying upwind!

Postby redsc1 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:07 am

Hi

OK so I’m having trouble staying upwind, can anyone offer me some advice. I have two kites, an Aero 8m and Aero II 12m. I am 75kg and have a 157 Wavetray. I have been up and going on the board for about 3 months now but am having trouble staying upwind.

I think that I have to lean back more, really dig the edge of the board in and move the kite to the forward edge of the window. When I try that with the 8m it does not seem to have enough power, but then with the 12m I just seem to be overpowered and accelerate out of control trying to get the kite to the edge of the window.

I’m sick of doing the walk back up the beach, not to mention it is a pain for me 75Kgs to try and hold on to the 12m in 15 - 20kts of wind!

Any advice?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Another rider having problems staying upwind!

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:32 am

redsc1 wrote:Hi

OK so I’m having trouble staying upwind, can anyone offer me some advice. I have two kites, an Aero 8m and Aero II 12m. I am 75kg and have a 157 Wavetray. I have been up and going on the board for about 3 months now but am having trouble staying upwind.

I think that I have to lean back more, really dig the edge of the board in and move the kite to the forward edge of the window. When I try that with the 8m it does not seem to have enough power, but then with the 12m I just seem to be overpowered and accelerate out of control trying to get the kite to the edge of the window.

I’m sick of doing the walk back up the beach, not to mention it is a pain for me 75Kgs to try and hold on to the 12m in 15 - 20kts of wind!

Any advice?
When you say you are sick of trying to hold it, one would think that you were overpowered.

But when you say 12m2 and 15-20 knots wind, I will say you are more likely underpowered - or at least just powered perfect.

So going upwind should not be a problem.

Try to look upwind over your front shoulder - turning your full body around this way (just a little).

Keep the speed down, if you have difficulties keeping the board in control.
If sufficient wind, ease out on the bar, so the kite will go even further upwind (and to the window edge).
If you lose your planing this way, you need to power the kite up a bit more - and going upwind will be a bit harder for you.

Going upwind in marginal conditions is only for the experts - but if you are powered it should be easy.

But three months is not long - so you just carry on having fun out there, and take a walk now and then.

If you remember the trick - looking upwind over your shoulder - then you'll suddenly find yourself going upwind one day :thumb:

anthonyd
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Kites

Postby anthonyd » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:43 am

I agree with peter.

I spent a full two months trying to go upwind till someone told me to turn my body to try to face upwind. Your feet follow and you go upwind.

Also are you riding in the chicken loop or the main loop?? IN the chicken loop if you sheet out your kite wll move further over to the edge of the window, making it easier to go upwind.

Keep trying, eventually something in your mind/body will click and it will come naturally. Then you will not be able to explain what you are doing different but you will be going upwind. The sport takes ona whole new meaning from that point on!

Later

Anthony
Last edited by anthonyd on Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:49 am

Anthony is right. I don't ride very often, but it took me about 6 months to go upwind, now I have trouble going downwind. The best advice is to look over your shoulder. I also find that taking your front hand off of the bar and really twisting your shoulders upwind will help as well. But, you may just have to wait until it happens one day, then you'll just be able to do it, without really knowing how you are doing it.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:51 am

It's all about having enough power in the kite, and then maintaining the power and controlling it. I reckon going upwind is more about the kite than the board. Take body dragging upwind for example.

Don't worry about leaning back too much - just get comfortable and make sure you keep your speed up, keep the power in the kite up. The key is to be ready for gusts so you don't get pulled down wind, but also be ready for lulls so you don't lose power and drift downwind. Kite control is the key.

Get the kite low and forward, but you must also keep your power up. I would say it would be hard for anyone to stay upwind in 15knots on a wavetray with a 12 meter kite? You need to be powered to go upwind. You may have to work your kite a little, but if so you need to do it gently so your kite doesn't go back too much and pull you down wind.

Why don't you try a bigger board with less rocker for a few weeks. I gurantee if you go on a Fridge Door, Lightwave, Shark etc. you will be rocking upwind. This is because these boards don't require as much precise control of the kite to keep planning fast and powered.

It will beat walking up the beach! If you are feeling overpowered and fighting to hold your edge, then this will be the start of you staying upwind. This is what kitesurfing feels like.

DT

redsc1
Medium Poster

Postby redsc1 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:03 pm

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice and encouragement!

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:39 am

Its just something that you have to figure out yourself throughout time on the water. It is different for everyone, some people are staying upwind on their second try (windsurfing experience). One day it will just click. It took me about 1 month before I finally stayed upwind. I thought that the low ar kite I was using was holding me back, but now I can go out on it as long as I'm powered and have no problem. Right after my first session that I stayed upwind on I bought a naish ar5 and could not go dowind if I wanted to. Being powered but not overpowered is key and squaring your shoulders upwind also helps. Good luck!

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:10 am

Its just something that you have to figure out yourself throughout time on the water. It is different for everyone, some people are staying upwind on their second try (windsurfing experience). One day it will just click. It took me about 1 month before I finally stayed upwind. I thought that the low ar kite I was using was holding me back, but now I can go out on it as long as I'm powered and have no problem. Right after my first session that I stayed upwind on I bought a naish ar5 and could not go dowind if I wanted to. Being powered but not overpowered is key and squaring your shoulders upwind also helps. Good luck!

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:00 am

Check this out site for several tips on going upwind.

http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/tri ... g%20upwind

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:49 am

You need a narrower board mate. You should only be using that big wt when you're really underpowered.
I'm 75kgs and use a 145x45 for lightwind or when I'm underpowered, a 147 x 38 wt with 5cm heelside fins for powerd up and a 143 x 34 for overpowered.
If your powered up a wide board will build too much wind, you won't be able to hold the edge and you'll be doing crazy downwinders all the time.
Apart from the other good upwind tips, you should go slow, don't dive the kite too much, you should be able to stall the baord out by turning it too much upwind.
Also "think" upwind in an exagerated way with every part of your body, turn that way as soon as you start, use your front foot to pull the board upwind, heel you back foot hard, when you start stalling the board out you've got it and you can stop exagerating.

It's easy, you just have to believe it, think upwind, and use a smaller board

Return to “Kitesurfing”