Forum for kitesurfers
Petro9
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snap Shackles Dangerous...

Postby Petro9 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:21 am

Ok, I am probably going to stirr things up with this post, but after seeing some near misses: people unable to release their shackle. I thought that I should give my opinion on this.

Snap Shackles are truely not designed to be released under force.
I work (Mechanical Engineer) in an environment where we use eyebolts spring hooks shackles etc and deal with a lot of safety issues. I have had to design some of these parts for unusual set ups. THEY ARE NOT MADE TO RELEASE UNDER LOAD!!! The rating on them is for lifting or securing, but not when a load is being applied. In addition to this, they are being used in an environment with high levels of corrosion (even with Stainless Steel Set ups) as well as unwelcomed particles such as sand or dirt which can only but encourage any kind of malfunction to the opening of the device.
Also, bear in mind that if the shackle does not open, it will definitely not break even after tossing you about. The typical Factor of Safety on lifting equipment is 5:1. Meaning that if your shackle is rated to 2000 lbs it could take up to 10000 lbs to actually break (Load at which the testing actually caused failure in the part). Therefore if it does not open you are STUCK!!!
This should really open up the eyes to everyone out there using these devices. If you are not convinced by this, speak to some of the rigging companies out there and they will confirm this information.

I the new set ups with Pins (WIPIKA, North '03) and locking "finger" are far safer and still can be improved.

Ride Safely!

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:58 am

The wichard 2673 is definately made to be released under load.

Get a tip-pivot shackel, and not a side-pivot one.

grtz,
Dènis

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:51 am

You have not stirred up anything, as we are all aware that schackles are not designed to release under load, and therefore should not be used.

But a good tip pivot design (Wichard 2673/74 f.ex) can be released easily under heavy load, as mentioned.

You are right, that it will never break if you can't release the schackle, because the breaking load factor ranges from maybe 150% to 500% as you say, of the nominal breaking value, depending on which category it is approved for.

It is the same with line and rope also - you get a huge margin over the nominal breaking load.
I think it is around 200% for many types of non-expensive rope, so a 400kg depower rope will often (but not garanteed) widthstand 800kg before breaking.

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:04 am

The kiteproshop shackle is attached via a QR pin. This is a great idea if the shit hits the fan. Otherwise I would suggest carrying a knife if you use a shackle.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:31 pm

Darkness at the break of noon, a hand made toy a childs balloon
eclpising both sun and moon,,,
Its alright ma,,,Im only kiteing
B.dylan/fokiten

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:54 pm

the wichard works 100% under load. but you must practice it. when you need to use it, you need to know where it's at and which way to pull the release. there will be no time to look for it or feel around for it.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:56 pm

http://www.kitegear.com accesoires, keep your balls where you can find them...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:17 pm

first of all you always have to check your gear before you go on the water.
make sure it works probably and before you get the kite up in the air, wash the sand of in the water. You should start the kite being in the water anyway.

If you use a snap shackle of minor quality, you endanger your life big time! Don't try save money on your life.....

Make sure you can detach your shackle as well from you totally.
I just saw the Kitebar-System from http://www.kiteproshop.com working in Cabarete again. Two lines got tangled, first released the leash, than the beginner got scared due to the other kite involved and totally released from the kite:

It works and is simple.

Someone ask for the best 2003 bar before, this kitebar-system is my answer, specially if you look at the simple design und functions:

Greets
Toby

Petro9
Frequent Poster

Postby Petro9 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:21 pm

"The wichard 2673 is definately made to be released under load.

Get a tip-pivot shackel, and not a side-pivot one.

grtz,
Dènis"

Sorry but the design of shackles is not made for release under load. It should work if you test it out, hanging from a tree or whatever you want to do. However, bear in mind that when being dragged out of control the forces acting on the shackle can be far higher (you are no longer in a static situation and experience impulse forces).
In addition to this, although the construction of these shackles are mainly Marine grade Stainless Steel, corrosion and wear are still a factor on these shackles, as well as sand.

I just wanted to reiterate to everyone the dangers of the shackles that many know about but some may not realise, having seen some incidents.
Also, last year I saw two true beginners, ridding with shackles, one of them getting dragged on the beach for some time!!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:37 pm

Petro - you don't tell us which type of schackle they were using, and what type of release they had on those - or if they just panicked, which will have the same result with any kind of release.

This is very important information, as I have not heard about Wichards that did not open.

Most of the schackle systems are opened/closed every time you go on the water - which is an extremely good (and important) test, that the system is not sanded or corroded and opens freely !

Return to “Kitesurfing”