Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

newb help

forum for kitesurfers

newb help

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:58 am

Yah im complete newb. I would really appreciate any advice as far as going about getting a set up and how i should begin learning. cheapest way is best way. ANY INFO is much thanks.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:40 am

the truly cheapest way to do this is to find a friend who is also interested in starting. take some lessons and then split some used equipment. its always nice to have a buddy to kite with at any level, not to mention to help you launch and land.

in the beginning there will be a lot of walking back up the beach involved so a good alternative is to have one person drive down the beach (if it is possible) and pick you up rather than walk. you can then drive back upwind and then switch places. by the time you are beyond bodydrags and starting to get up on your board you will be ready for better equipment so unload your used stuff on another newbie and trade up. if you are careful with your purchase you won't lose too much money on the used stuff.
:thumb: :bye:

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:55 am

To start off you need few lessons, this will save you on medical expenses.
Then you will have an idea of what is on the market and you will be able to judge the quality of the second hand gear you will have to purchase, this will save you from damaging a brand new kite during your learning period.
Best is to share the costs with a fellow learner in the beginning and if possible let him follow you in a small boat, this will save you hours of struggling upwind before or after your trials.
Take turns trying, you will be amazed at how much you learn from someone else mistakes.
Be prepared to change your lifestyle, kiteing, once hooked is impossible to get rid off, and everyone around you will notice changes for the better.
Have fun
Regards
Nico

redsc1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby redsc1 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:08 am

Hi

As everyone has already said, start off with lessons. Let everybody know where about you are based and I'm sure some one will put you in touch with a good school. Also, it is a good idea to register on the forum and post messages with a name attached, you migh get a better response!

In the mean time, welcom to our sport!

Return to “Kitesurfing”