Relaunching GXR ?????

forum for kitesurfers

macca
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Relaunching GXR ?????

Postby macca » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:24 pm

Have just got a used GXR, flew it to day in a gusty 10knts flat water.

Thought I would put the kite on the water to practice a relauch just in case. I was stood up, pulled the leader lines to get the kite to roll, would not, had to run to the kite. When the kite fionally got on to its back, it would not move to the edge, even after pulling different lines. What seamed to happen most was, the kite would start to lift up in the middle(when its on its back, bit like a W) and the tips would fold back.

My last kite was a Toro which was so easy to relaunch, had similar problems with a 10m Airblast.

I know high AR kites are harder to relaunch, but are there any top tips to make things easey, one thing i have lernt is dont go out in off shore winds, and dont drop the kite ;o)

Cheers

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:17 pm

Same thing happens to me with the same kite, you didn't specified the size though, mine is a 16.5. It doesn't always happen, but I assume that when you have very little wind and gusty, maybe at the same time the kite is relaunching the wind dies a little and then the gust hits making the kite stall but not fall. That's just my opinion
By the way, it is weird that someone practice relaunch on a 10knots day is almost a miracle if the kite relaunches with that windspeed :-?

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:09 pm

Yes mine is the 16.5, been waiting a while, so 10knts was a go. was soprised how well it went in such light winds, with a nice feel to the jumps when it blew a bit more.

was a sunny day with flat water, couldent resist. Was an eye opener to try to relaunch though, my old kite would relaunch easy in the same conditions. That is the penalty for performance, from my limited session on the GXR am very happy with it.

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:02 pm

I'm very happy with the kite also, in fact it is my favorite kite, incredible hang time and very soft landings among other things. But that same thing we are talking about has happen to me sometimes when doing transitions, specifically after landing and getting speed again. Sometimes I wonder if it is a bar/lines setup problem but I checked and everything's ok. So who knows. I give it one penalty to performance also, unless someone tell us we are doing something wrong.
Cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”