how to cut 27 meter lines down to 20 m

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

how to cut 27 meter lines down to 20 m

Postby cglazier » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:31 am

I want some 20 meter lines for wave riding and I have a spare set of stock 27m spectra lines (North).

I am prepared to cut them and sleeve them, then make a loop, and tie it with an overhand knot.

But my question is, should I try to stitch them with a zig zag stitch the way all the professionally made lines are done. I understand that this will be a bit stronger than any knot. How difficult is this? Any tips?

Chris G

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesuffer » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:07 am

Hi Chris,
Use a nylon thread.
keep the stitch length short
When you start and finish each end make sure you run over the start/end point with the reverse button so the ends don't unravel.
Practice on the leftover 7m first

Good luck

anthonyd
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Kites

Postby anthonyd » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:16 am

Or....... just tie a knot!! Get a good book on knots and choose a knot that minimises weakness in the rope. Much much quicker than spending time on a sewing machine!

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:54 am

Would it work to tie a good knot that doesnt wear out to fasst whith stock cabrinha 2001 lines that is cut down to 20 meters i might only use them a season i already have a knot on them so one will proberly brake son any way.....

ANd...... :roll:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:46 am

Yeah - just tie a single overhand knot (with double line), just like on the Q-Power lines.

Then you simply rip up the sleeve sewing with a sharp knife - and move the sleeving 7 meter down the line - and cut the line.

The single overhand knot will not weaken your line, as long as you have the sleeving on.

And the good thing is, that IF you have to adjust a little on your lines - it is easy.

It you sew the sleeving together, it will be a nightmare to do - and you cant do it on the beach when most needed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”