Flysurfer's quick release

forum for kitesurfers

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer's quick release

Postby KiteSmurfer » Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:16 pm

just got a 9.5 titan and i'm a little worried about the QR system on the loop (seems to need a lot of pull to activate properly). What has been peoples experiences with this release and has anyone changed it - if so to what?

Also, the rotalease system seems to be causing wear on the main line (for those that havent seen it 2 ropes pass thorough the hole in the bar). When you move the bar back and forth the ropes rub on each other. Does anyone else think this is a problem, is thier a good way to fix/solve this???

any comments appreciated

Cheers

Chris, aka kitesmurfer
Last edited by KiteSmurfer on Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:50 pm

You will be able to QR the chicken loop if you pull the red ball hard enough. I tried it on mine and it is a good system. Chances are you will never have to use it, but it is there just in case.
The hole in the bar has a metal piece to stop the lines from wearing. The vectran should last forever if you wash it after each use. If you are nervous about this you could add a 1" fairlead and loop the brake line through a seperate hole, attached to the bar.

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:03 pm

When i say that the QR on the chicken loop needs a lot of pull, i mean pull from the kite, the metal pin releases easily. The system has jammed on me when i was testing it, fortunatly in light winds.

Might the chicken loop be replaced with a metal ring and a wichard ???

Also the lines seem to wear on each other rather than the bar itself. Is there some method of sleaving one of the lines to avoid this??

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:54 pm

I would strongly advise against replacing the CL with a ring unless you leave a CL attached as well. The reason you need the CL is that if you unhook for some reason (kite collapse/accidental release of shackle etc) you will have a hard time getting the ring back in the shackle while the kite is on the water pulling. I know you can flag the titans out but I would still encourage you to include some sort of loop in the system.

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:24 pm

I'll bear that in mind thanks

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:06 am

>>sleaving the lines will definately help......
>>running a hold fairlead for the rotor leash will give you two lines / two holes
>>I would not recommend removing the CL, you could use a QR and just attach to the top of the CL and this would get you 5" closer to the bar

Cos
Rare Poster

Postby Cos » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:28 am

I trust flysurfer's QR, but i use a wichard because i want to have the bar closer to me.

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby taabsr » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:37 am

The titan is equal to the psycho QR. and i never had problem with it. In light wind it might not realease. But i only need to pull the quick release in strong wind . in strong winds it has never failed. easy to pull and releases all the time.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:13 am

I've been using the rotorleash with my Psycho's the whole winter. It hasn't worn out the chickenloop-line much at all. There has been some wear but that seems quite normal to me.
Also a replacement chickenloop with line only costs about 25 Euro's when bought from Flysurfer. So when ever it gets to worn just exchange the chickenloop and line.
I'd say that the rotorleash is worth the extra wear any day.
(And if you can't stand the extra wear you could always fit a "normal" impractical leash instead, but that would be downright stupid if you aske me).

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:55 pm

I had a few accidental releases with the QR chicken loop and ended up using a few turns of insulating tape to hold it firmly closed.
I think flysurfer has a brilliant safety system that has actually nothing to do with releasing the kite, right in front of your face you have the leash and blue cross line to haul down on and kill the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”