forum for kitesurfers

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:48 pm

I may be going to Altamira (near Tampico)Mexico later this year. My job may require it. What is the place like? Will I be able to kite on the weekends.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-09-16 18:19 ]</font>

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby chirojoseph » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:07 am

hey Dwight, Im not real familiar with the Tampico area but you could write (in english, they understand) to the kitesurfmexico group of yahoo and ask.

or ask Andres Santacruz who is always posting on the regular yahoo kitesurf group.

too bad you arent coming to the Yucatan area! We just finished the 8th day of a sweet southeaster..very uncommon for September here. Think its over though...snif snif, dont hear my wind chimes anymore.

saludos!
chiroJOE

ralph
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby ralph » Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:55 am

What is the best time of the year for the Yucatan area??? Sounds like a good location down there.

Take care,

Ralph

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Kites:

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

ASP Stealth Custom Kiteboard 135cm 2013 Black
Fone HRD Lite Tech 137x42cm 2017
Core Fusion 2 139x43 2017
Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Underground Kipuna 5'8" Surfboard
Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surfboard
Alpine Foil Access V1 Foil and board
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:31 am

Hey Dwight and others,
Tampico is a great spot which is really windy usually almost every time I check on the internet. The Gulf Coast of Mexico gets a LOT of wind almost all year round. Don´t really know what altamira will be like, probably not too nice(town, infrastructure, etc.), but the beaches should be sandy and the waves shouldn´t be too big, and the beer and chow should be good and cheap. You have to order a local fish called "Negrilla"(pronounced NEGRIYUH) or huachinango, (WATCHINANGO), this is the best fish in the world in my opinion. Conditions should be very similar to any of the Texas beaches. I´ve heard that right by the port of Tampico it is a little dirty, but I am sure a quick drive and you will find adequate spots.Most spots in Mexico are very good from January to April, others are good from October to MAY/june. Tampico is good almost all year round, the only exception is the summer, when it is the rainy season here(June-September). We have still had a lot of great sessions when it isn´t raining.
The gulf coast gets a lot of frequent Norte storms, which cientifically are called High pressure systems, or cold fronts. These create constant and really strong winds which come from the north. These winds hit most of the gulf of mexico's beaches sideshore, and are pretty constant in the late september to may time period. Many nortes come in at about 25-35 knots, others come in stronger. There was one last year that came in at 90 knots! Well, anyway, all in all I am pretty sure you will get great winds and kitesurfing at tampico, take all your gear though.
Andres Santacruz
Don't hesitate to contact me with questions.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:07 pm

Do you guys have any info about conditions and spots on Cozumel? I'm going there on Sunday for a week. Any chance of another southeaster?
Or any spots in Playa del Carmen?
Thanks.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:47 pm

Cozumel is always windier than playa, because of some sort of venturi effect between the mainland and the island. They get great wind all the time, and if it isn't windy, they have some of the best scuba diving in the world. The person you need to contact there is my friend Raul de Lille who used to be a mexican champion windsurfer and is now a great kitesurfer. I believe he has some sort of school in Cozumel, and he knows all the spots. His e-mail is: rauldelille@hotmail.com
He is a great guy,
Andres Santacruz

Kite surfin mexico playa del carmen

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:27 am

I am going to Playa del carmen in two weeks time (for 2 weeks) - do you mine if I contact your friend - Raul de Lille ?

I'm going to be getting married there and will be taking my kite surfing stuff with me. I am beginner and need to find out where it would be best to kite surf in Playa del Carmen - I'm staying at the Rui Palace hotel

If you have any advise it would be go to hear from you as well

Thanks

Alex

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:19 pm

if you are going to playa del carmen don't hesitate to contact the guys at http://www.ikaruskiteboarding.com , they have a PASA certified school and are really nice guys, they know all about the area, etc. Contact them, congratulations on your wedding.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Riu Palace hotel

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:54 pm

Mac, I stayed at the Riu Playacar which is just North of the Palace a bit. The beach is open, but can get very crowded. If you walk south about a half mile, there is totally open beach and no one around for miles south of there. (no hotels built yet). Wind was 45 degrees on-shore and steady for 8 of the 9 days I was there in May. You may not need to go anywhere else if you have someone to launch/land your kite for you.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:46 am

Thanks guys for the advice :D

Just need to work out how to smuggle my kite gear past my fiancée at the airport !

Not sure that she'll be too impressed when she finds out that I'm taking my kite stuff on our wedding / honeymoon :evil: !

But I can't not take it - it would be a crime to go without it !!!

Alex

Return to “Kitesurfing”