Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Innovation: One Gump

forum for kitesurfers

Slingshot Innovation: One Gump

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:38 am

See thread: Slingshot Innovation: One pump.

When a company like Slingshot trumpets lame gimmicks like "one pump", you can be pretty sure that they haven't made any SIGNIFICANT progress with kite design.

What is so good about being able to inflate a kite thru the one hole? It is an ADVANTAGE to have completely separate bladders for LE and struts. Imagine if you had a leak in one of your struts and you were trying to inflate the whole kite thru the leading edge.... FRUSTRATION. Completely separate bladders makes repairs a lot easier. If you are like the majority of riders, you leave your struts up anyway.

Slingshot proudly trumpeting this LAME innovation is pathetic.

Real progress in the next year or so is going to involve smaller, tougher leading edges and struts, possibly using high inflation pressures and kevlar. The aerodynamic profile of all kites will improve; turbulence at the tips will be minimised, kite stability AND speed will increase.

If the kite shown in the Slingshot video is the BEST they can come up with, then they are doomed. It looks like a sad-arse 2002 kite. Compared to what Naish, North etc will be coming out with, Slingshot has fallen right off the pace.

Slingshot riders in Australia have shown themselves to be spoiled brats. They set fire to their hotel room at the National Kitesurfing Championships in February. Their main rider, Ben Wilson, slammed safety equipment and advocated anal sex in the magazine he edits (Australian Kite Boarder). This alone caused me to BOYCOTT SLINGSHOT and to buy Blacktips instead.

Slingshot relies on gimmicks to sell gear. Their riders are dysfunctional spoiled brats. Their kites are falling off the pace. Stick with kites that have REAL innovations and riders who don't act like fuckwits.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:51 am

looks like we have a slingshot me up.

they make the strongest kites on the market, with great performance, shame there pro team can be knobs, but thats a lack of professionalism nothing else.

one bladders structure might actually be a good idea and quite frankly all they are doing is testing the waters, just like naish are with the foils,i really welcome kite companies putting new ideas open to consultation before delivering them, it minimizes their development risk and leads to less wasted development which benefits us with what we want.

shame that they should be focussing on their depower set ups and chicken loops..

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Innovation: One Gump

Postby kjorn » Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:11 am

Anonymous wrote:What is so good about being able to inflate a kite thru the one hole? It is an ADVANTAGE to have completely separate bladders for LE and struts. Imagine if you had a leak in one of your struts and you were trying to inflate the whole kite thru the leading edge.... FRUSTRATION. Completely separate bladders makes repairs a lot easier. If you are like the majority of riders, you leave your struts up anyway.
But you can. There is a switch between the LE and rib so you can open or close the LE - rib valve (I think from what I have heard) so pump up the whole kite, flick the valves to closed and pump the ribs up rock hard.

This is speculation though...
Anonymous wrote: Real progress in the next year or so is going to involve smaller, tougher leading edges and struts, possibly using high inflation pressures and kevlar.
But small diameter LE tubes does not make for a better kite. Two half diameter LE tubes next to each other (for better ridigity and smaller diameter) have been tried. If they were better we'd see them in most kites, not just on prototypes.

Anonymous wrote: The aerodynamic profile of all kites will improve; turbulence at the tips will be minimised, kite stability AND speed will increase.
Hm, like adding a lower skin. This sounds familiar... like I may have seen one of these and it had the words 'peter lynn' on it :o

Whats up with Slingshot? How come you don't like them?

john.e.boy

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:22 am

Let's not forget the other famous Slingshot innovation: Urinating in drinks.

Ben Wilson enjoys pissing in Jeff Tobias's drinks. This is, of course, hysterically funny and makes me want to buy Slingshot.

For details, see the rider profiles on the Slingshot website.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kjorn » Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:26 am

Anonymous wrote:Ben Wilson enjoys pissing in Jeff Tobias's drinks. This is, of course, hysterically funny and makes me want to buy Slingshot.
Don't tell me, let me guess. You're Jeff Tobias aren't you?

john.e.boy ( hehe;-) )

one pump

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:47 am

who's the puss that can't sign his name to the original post.[/quote][/list]

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:16 am

Why does he/she hav to sign a name. Your wish is a bit childish really. Who r u anyway.

Slingshot r just trying marketing games to make themselves look like bigger players. Pumping hard. I think its funny. It shows how much of an issue inflation is in the minds of people. This is why some of us choose foils.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:46 pm

The anonymous guest on this forum make is no wonder why the kite manufacturers choose not to write shit here. Slingshot has fallen off? Give me a break. You boycotted slingshot. Who cares? You boycotted yourself from the best kite mades. Smooth move Einstein. Quality speaks for itself. Time will tell and eventually end all lies. Performance speaks for itself. It's going to take more than you lame ass remarks to make this company 'fall off'.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:05 pm

Looks like the video is a joke?? You can solve the one pump by getting rid of the struts. Let me see...that might be a novelty idea. What happened to the company that started this last year using carbon struts? I would shy away from this from personal experience with bladder repairs. Want to survive in this industry - INNOVATE, NOT GIMMICK. Dorian

Re: Slingshot Innovation: One Gump

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:31 pm

Anonymous wrote: This alone caused me to BOYCOTT SLINGSHOT and to buy Blacktips instead.
BWAH HAH HAHAH hahahahahahh.
:lol: :thumb: HEHehehehe.

And I suppose that you still think that it was Slingshot that lost from this boycott and not you huh? HAHAHAHAH.

Enjoy your Blacktips!

Return to “Kitesurfing”