Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

X3

forum for kitesurfers

X3

Postby Guest » Thu May 01, 2003 7:19 am

I have recently moved from the X2 16 to the X3 16
I have tried the kite three times in different wind conditions and in all possible lines setting combination
My impression is that this kite is a lot slower responding to bar movment than the X2 , it is much less powerfull and probably the most noticable problem is the crazy jellyfishing .
If anyone else has experience the same or if anyone has any ideas how to rectify the problem I would appreciate it

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 01, 2003 7:44 am

I cannot say that the 14 I have tested is slower than my X2 14.
For me the 14 X3 is a lot faster and had less power on the arms, which I guess can be adjusted on the attachment points.

I had jellyfishing as well, but my kite wasn't pumped up hard enough.
Next time I will try it again with a very hard pumped up fronttube to see if it was my fault or the kite's.

Maybe it has a little bit less power than my X2, but in stronger winds it has a bigger range.

More opinions pls!

Toby

Postby Guest » Thu May 01, 2003 8:17 am

Hi,

I can not agree with guests posting, I have used the 12 & 16 quite a lot now and I feel it turns with the same rate as the X2, has better, actually much better low end and overall more power and better range. It jumps better, is more stable in the air and hangs for slightly longer.

Overall I feel it's an easier kite to use than the X2 with better overall performance.

Jellyfishing, yes, it does need to be pumped rock hard. Then you will find that the problem dissapears and performance increases.

When I got my X3's they came with bars that had slightly too long back leader lines (Aero II bars) and the kites flew very depowered. After changing to an X2 bar the kites fly perfect.

The difference in knot positions are about 10-12 cm for the Aero II and X2 bars and it's important to recognize this. I have seen X2 riders taking out Aero II's on their X2 bar and hating them because they fly like crap, and they will do since the kite will be totally oversheeted.

Cheers,

Bengan
Colona Watersports
Hurghada, Egypt

powerkiteaddict
Very Frequent Poster

Postby powerkiteaddict » Thu May 01, 2003 10:35 am

Sounds to me like perhaps the original poster is deliberately dogging X3s? Funny how people often like to hide behind the guest tag......
PKA

Postby Guest » Thu May 01, 2003 12:19 pm

I agree with bengan. When I received my X3 12 and 16 the backlines were a bit too long and the kite only flew fully depowered. I switched a pair of the front pigtails to the back to adjust the backline length and the problem was solved. The X3 has to be pumped rocksolid to feel its real potential and the depowerrange is huge compared to the X2 12.

Fer

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08
Brand Affiliation: None

re

Postby tux » Thu May 01, 2003 6:51 pm

I've used my X3 14 only 2 times, one in 19kts one in 13-14kts, used before x2 10 12 16 18 in any condition. it seems to me a little bit slower as x2, but it helps a lot in control in Air ballet, I find the range improved since in 19 kts I was very comfortable, don't seems so jellifishing, maybe the lateral tips, when fly maybe the shape of U is more accentuated as X2 ) this could play a role in jellyfishing.
Hope to test it more in the next days.
Tux :pirate:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 01, 2003 7:33 pm

When you have a high AR kite, with a thin profile (which is what works best today) - meaning a thin front tube - you will of course have more jellyfishing.

I dont agree that it is a design question only.
You can change the jellyfishtendency by design yes - but you can not make a high AR performance kite with a thin fast profile without any jellyfish at all (under certain circumstances) IMO.

So be happy with the even better 2003 kites you've got now, and dont worry if they will jelly a little now and then :thumb:

The big X3's are much better than the X2's it seems (which were best in the 12m2 and smaller in fact).

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Fri May 02, 2003 12:04 am

Peter... I normally think you're spot on with your postings.... But:

The most important determinant of jellyfishing is the luff curve of the kite. A flat luff curve will cause the kite to sit way forward in the window - extreme forward position in the wind window causes jellyfishing.

Other variables, as you pointed out, are important eg:
Diameter of leading edge (this contributes to the luff curve, drag, and kite stiffness - a wider diameter leading edge will sit further back in the window)
Aspect ratio (narrower kites are more prone to jellyfishing)

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Fri May 02, 2003 2:18 am

jesus, will you start calling it ''camber'' for fuck sake, the profile curve of a cross section taken through the canopy of the kites is refered to as camber.

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 2:14 pm

:?: I have the option of buying an 14 x2 now or waiting a few months for an x3
, The local dealers have sold out, is there that much difference, is it really worth waiting for, I am currentlt using a 13.5 ARX and still in the early stages of kitesurfing, Are the x3 14 easier to use than x2, will I really notice the difference, the is also quite a difference in price.

Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”