Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

falling leis smacking the water

forum for kitesurfers

falling leis smacking the water

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2003 3:17 pm

Hi, I ride fuels now and continually break them due to coral or a bad jump and just before the kite hits the water the lines tension and pop! etc.
I keep seeing this happen to people, surely the best thing to do when you kite is falling out of the sky is to let the kite onto it's leash - surely recovering the bar and relaunching is better than face plant and possible popped LE?

J
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby J » Tue May 06, 2003 4:55 pm

It is if you remember or aren't underwater etc. :cry:

zbose
Medium Poster

Postby zbose » Tue May 06, 2003 7:30 pm

**EDIT**

I just realized that the issue was stalled kites falling and powering up. Definitly the best way to save your kite from this is to disconnected immediately.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue May 06, 2003 8:32 pm

There is a technique for recovering kites if they stall or hindenburg in gusty conditions but if you don't know what you are doing or still learning it, the kite tends to nosedive. Seen a couple of people do it, but none broke their kites.

Most of the time people just hold onto the bar and don't try help the kite recover. If the kite hindenburgs and the lines go slack when it starts falling, you should be able to recover by yanking hard on one side of the bar and steering it down towards the water, by the time it gets midway down, the lines tighten and you have time to turn the baby (I can do it on my 2002 12.2 BT and she isn't exactly speedy on the turns).

J
Rare Poster

Postby J » Tue May 06, 2003 8:54 pm

that technique is excellent and works often, also pulling on the center line can work. but only if you realize what's happening when you are under water. Otherwise you just pop out of the wave in time to witness you getting pulled(no big deal) and the kite nosediving HARD into the water and ripping an entire panel and blowing the leading edge. All of course my fault for not pulling the kite back when rotating, BUT it makes me reconsider arcs/foils etc. kites are too expensive to break every season!
J

Return to “Kitesurfing”