Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Thoughts re 2-way VHS Marine radios in kiter's...

forum for kitesurfers

BillF
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Thoughts re 2-way VHS Marine radios in kiter's...

Postby BillF » Sun May 04, 2003 5:03 am

Anyone have any experience kiting/windsurfing with a handheld 2-way Marine radio tucked away in their wetsuit?

Are these radios durable enough for being in a plastic baggie for month after month?

Any particular brands to consider / stay way from?

(I read the earlier postings that discussed pencil flares and their plusses and minuses, and I was thinking that I personally would feel hell-of-better knowing that I could talk to someone if I was swimming and it was getting darker. As I see it, a flare says, "help me!" whereas a 2-way radio would allow the opportunity to say, "I broke a line, I'm swimming in, and I'll call back in an hour if I need some help.")

yes we use them in our kitesurfing school

Postby Guest » Sun May 04, 2003 5:42 am

Yes we use the Cobra and Motorola 2 way mini takies radio in teaching and for our kitesurfing school. They work GREAT! We attach one to the Gath Helmet. We use the Aqua pac MiniTalkie to protect it. You can buy them at our web site: http://XtremeBigAir.com

If you use the Aqua Pac and MiniTalkie, just make sure your girlfriend or wife doesn't know. Otherwise, your session will be short :-)

Go XtremeBigAir,
Kinsley.

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Mon May 05, 2003 1:37 pm

When conditions are iffy, I carry an FRS radio in a couple of ziploc baggies. Last year I was in an offshore wind, and I needed to drop my kite to land at a point, downwind of where I started. Open lake for 40 miles downwind. I pulled the wrong shackle (leash and etc) and kite took off down the lake. I swam fast, but it staed just ahead. Pulled out radio and called wife. She dropped the boat off the boatlift and 10 minutes later, I was on board and kite was rescued. So, I am all for these radios. I rarely carry one, but under certain conditions, they are super.
Gary

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Mon May 05, 2003 5:40 pm

Hello Kinsley,
I guess the minitalkie are not included in the price?
Can you please send me an e-mail with quotation for 2 aqua pac including minitlakie.
Bye Jankie

XtremeBigAir.com
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Pismo Beach, California
Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach, California
Style: All
Gear: All

Postby XtremeBigAir.com » Mon May 05, 2003 5:59 pm

Grab them online at http://XtremeBigAir.com. No they do not come with the mini talkies.

BillF
Rare Poster

Postby BillF » Wed May 07, 2003 3:52 am

Hi again. Actually I couldn't find radios on that site, and from the sounds of your comments, that type of radio might not be what I'm looking for / asking about.

Since I generally don't have a spouse/friend, etc. waiting for me on shore, my vision was having a small radio that could communicate with other boats and/or the Coast Guard if something was going wrong. (Here in the USA these radios are described as "2-way Marine band VHF handheld radios," and are advertised as submersible.)

Again - the advantage I see in having such a radio (versus flares) is having the ability to say "Hey - I might be needing help" versus using a flare and signaling an emergency.

So... does anyone have any kiting or windsurfing experience with such a radio, and are they durable enough to survive inside a baggie or two for week after week on the water?

Thanks!

pluvious
Medium Poster

Postby pluvious » Wed May 07, 2003 3:34 pm

I've used the Horizon 260s submersible vhf radio for a few years now, though never kiting. It was in my emergency fanny pack for windsurfing. It's submersible to 3 feet. Just zip it in a couple of ziplock bags and off you go. If price is no object, there's a much smaller one. Check out the west marine website.

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Wed May 07, 2003 8:18 pm

No experience with these but here's a source.

http://www.defender.com/cgi-bin/Web_sto ... i?cart_id=

Might fit inside the Aqua-Pac, it appears. I've heard of guys carrying cell phones before, too.

I wonder how those guys were attaching and using the aqua-pac to their helmets.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed May 07, 2003 9:37 pm

if you want to take a radio, you always need somebody near to carry one, too.
so why don't you get a good aquapac and take out your cellphone?
with a mobile, you have the possibiliy to call the wife, if she's not availlable, you call your buddy (that one who got the powerboat near your position), or even coastguard.

..just my two cents..

bludger
Medium Poster

Postby bludger » Wed May 07, 2003 10:19 pm

a mobile phone in a aquasac - very waterproof and you can phone the coastguard/the hospital/home or the pub
:lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”