Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rhino04 16m

Postby Wawando » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:10 pm

Hi,

I finally have my impression about the Rhino04 16m. I had several sessions in low wind 10-12 knots and a full day in 15-25 knots (above 20 i changed to the 12m, of course!). I ride in the sea 0-2m waves always chop around.
My board is a TAD 125x38,5 with 7mm concave and some nice rocker.

So here it goes:
General info:
---------------
Construction: one of the best in the market.
Look: very nice looking. It's good looking orange. I would have prefered the red one though ;-) (who cares about this? But if one can choose, why not??? ;-) ) The safety is couvered: high contrast colors visible in the sea. You never know what can happen!..

Flight:
-------
It is a kite that flies fast and stays well ahead in the window when compared to others.
Stability: Very, very stable. Perfect for unstable winds. I don't know why, but R04 kites are really much more stable when compared to the other kites. Watch them flying and you will see what i mean.
Depower: This is the GOOD surprise (for me). I was affraid that the 16m would not depower like the 12m does. Where i ride i often have 13-18knots days with 20+knots gusts. So having a kite that depowers really well is a issue. My doubts are gone. R04 16m depowers really well and has more lowend than my Skoop2 17m. The R04 16m requires less speed to have fun in 12 knots with very good jumps for such low wind.
Jumping: I haven't got the timming at 100% yet but when i got it right, it really rocked! Hangtime is awsome! It is a very fast kite so i will jump higher than i did last year :D
Turning speed: Felt like the other "large" 2004 kites i have tested and seen flying. No miracles here. It is light on the bar and requires less time of pressure to turn when compared to my Skoop2 17m. I heard that the Skoop3 17m turns faster but haven't been able to test it yet!

So i am very happy with my quiver and i think i made the right choice for 2004. 12m and 16m have been the perfect choice! Now i am looking for the smaller one. Price is the issue for this one (three kites makes budget heavy!!!). Nemesis looks promissing (10m or 8m). I am just affraid it is not as stable as R04 is. And i am going to use it in the most unstable and gustier place there is! (thermic wind 20-30+ knots)

If you are choosing your 12m and 16m kites, R04 is surelly a good bet. It might be the best one. There is always a price to it but you can negociate it to get good prices and, in my oppinion, it is really worth it!

Petro9
Frequent Poster

Postby Petro9 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:26 am

Definitely second what you have to say about the R4.
I have taken out my R4 in really high gusts, and thanks to the design I feel nothing!!! A complete change from my R2s which would just have me over powered and all over the place during a gust.
The jumping style is different to the R2s and I am still trying to figure it out, to achieve maximum air. The Rhino 2 were so easy to get air, just swing the kite backwards and 12 feet of air!
Quality of R4 is excellent!

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:46 pm

Staying in the Micro Hook is quite key to huuuuuuuuuuuge air !

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:53 am

Hi,
Jumping technique must be similar to the Skoop2 i rode last year as i felt no difference in the technique for the 12m. I had to get used to the 16m because i almost only rode the 12m since november and a 16m kite has more negotiable power than a 12m does so i had to get some new arguments for the "discussion". It was simple: try to redirect not so fast and don't carve so hard (let go a little) in the beginning of the redirection.
I am soooooo happy with my quiver! I tried the "big" kite that i thought that could be better than R04 16m last week and... it isn't 8)

Return to “Reviews”