:spam: :evil:TROLL

lucor
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Review of SeaSpecs sports glasses

Postby lucor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:15 am

im fairly new to kiteboading and i wear contact lenses i was wondering about whether i can wear sea specs with my contacts on and what happens when i fall in the water ... will my lenses fall out from getting wet or should i just splurge for the prescription sea specs?
cheers
luca

mikeb666
Rare Poster

Postby mikeb666 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi,

Just a quick message to say that I'm a official UK SeaSpecs retailer. I have an online shop and delivery to the UK and Europe with free delivery. Any model of SeaSpecs for £35.
http://www.mbk-kitesurf.co.uk/seaspecs

Mike

MehYam
Medium Poster

Postby MehYam » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 pm

I've been using SeaSpecs + contact lenses for quite some time.

The glasses are great for the first 1/2 hour of the session. After that, the water droplets get really hard to see through and I start riding 50% by sight 50% by feel. Still, they're the best thing I've tried and I wouldn't want to kite without them. You have to keep in mind that on the water, you're sometimes getting double intensity UV due to the sun *and* its reflection coming off the water. I don't understand how people can ride without any sort of eye protection.

I've tried RainX too... better than nothing, but mostly mixed results.

MehYam
Medium Poster

Postby MehYam » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Protip: if you put sunscreen on your face, keep in mind that your first faceplant into the water might leave a blurry haze of residue on the specs. So either face plant forward, or rinse a little before starting :thumb: .

flylow
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Stuart, Fl and Long Beach, Turks
Gear: 9-12-14.5 Ocean Rodeo Aluua
North Select and Axis Surf board

Postby flylow » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:18 pm

I think that one needs eyeglasses that are safe from blunt trauma. Remember one of our kiters lost an eye from the bar hitting him. Thus as an ophthalmologist, I have been looking into WyleyX that have a ridge in the plastic frame and prevents the polarized polycarbinate lens from cutting your eye in the event of an accident. I have a windsurfer/surfer lady (who suffered a retinal detachment unrelated to water sports) as a beta testor. I have one pair at a kitesurfing shop too.
Some of these companies make eyeglasses for the military.
The lenses are interchangeable (you can get two choices) and you can have a few colors. Plus you can get a prescription in them from
-6.00 t0 +6.00. I have used Rainx on them. Costs are for quality...over a $100 USA.
Interested kiters can PM me or try cutlermd@gmail.com.

Pontoon Kiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, Fl.

Postby Pontoon Kiter » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:26 am

I've had a pair and GAVE them away because they would fog up on me. Since then (4 years ago) I 've used a pair of sun glasses that FLOAT, are POLARIZED and the lenses are Interchangeable and replaceable. They WILL NOT FOG UP and are comfortable. Used by Navy Seals and US Coast Guard. Best... they COST HALF of what the Sea Specs cost. Check um out: http://www.spexusa.com/home/content/view/1/1/

Schuloves2kite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Juno Kite Beach, FL
Style: Free Ride, Wave
Gear: North Rebel 8, Fuse 10 & 12

Postby Schuloves2kite » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:09 am

Lost two pairs, I'm done!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:31 am

I had 3 pairs sink like stones :(

Then I bought a pair of 720-armour Sharks which had a longer headstrap/leash that I could secure easily with my wetsuit zipper ...

The interesting part of this story is that I emailed the company before I bought them cos I was trying to track down a retailer in Japan but got told the Shark was being redesigned ... a couple of months after I bought (and was VERY happy using) my Sharks, 720-armour contacted me by email and asked if I'd like to demo Sharks 2.0 and give them my thoughts :D

The difference is the head strap design and I can confirm that they're as good as the first model for field of view and anti-fogging and best yet - they float ... although all this year, they only came off my head once.

Shame, Sharks aren't listed on the home page and the only version I can find are the originals ...
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52824

Return to “Reviews”