Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Review of SeaSpecs sports glasses

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:16 pm

It has been a few weeks since I received the glasses and I have used them for long enough to get use to them...
My first impression was of the packaging, they came wrapped in a silk bag, and that was wrapped in bubble wrap all inside a small box, so I don’t see how anything can go wrong with the shipping, unless the postman steps on the box or something...
Looking at the actual glasses, I see that they seem to be made of excellent plastic with rubber around the arms and the nosepiece all of which is intended to stop the glasses from slipping up or down your nose and also for comfort. The frames look a little weird, but I am getting used to the way they look on my face.
When ordering, they only had one style of frame in three colors with three different tints on the UV resistant lenses.
The UV resistance on the glasses is excellent. I wear an $80 pair of Arnett shades regularly, and the SS glasses make the Arnett's like there isn’t any UV protection at all. My eyes seem to relax when I have them on.
There is a permanent strap that connects the two arms behind the head. It is sewn into place, so there is no removing it. That is either good or bad, depending on what you do with your shades when you aren’t wearing them I.e. put them on your hat, or wear them around you neck.
Attached to the strap in a simple yet effective one hand operated strap tightener (I don’t know the word,) essentially, you just reach around the back of your head with the right hand, and pull it to tighten the strap, then you do the opposite with your left hand to loosen it... while the strap is tight, the shades aren’t going anywhere, not up or down.
The only thing I don’t like about them is the arms and the strap get in the way of my hats. If the company would have designed the arms to curve down a little behind the ear, this wouldn’t be a problem...
These glasses do not interfere with my helmet in any way. I use the Protec Ace Wake helmet and I don’t have any problems...

This review is MHO, but all in all, the shades are worth it. I don’t know about using them for everyday use like cruising around the shopping mall, but I can see how if a kite loop goes bad while wearing these things, you would still have them when you when you recover, I think they float too, so that is a bonus if they do... I just don’t want to try it out.
Ian

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:22 am

I went to Cabarete last month and expected that I'd be the only one wearing them. But the French and Italian guys where I launched were all wearing them too.
Anyway after 6 days kiting for hours on the water in bright sunlight my eyes felt way better than usual (I had never worn sunglasses kiting before). They are really worthwhile.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:34 am

Having never worn sunglasses kiteboarding... how annoying is the water spray getting on the lesnes? I think this would bother me. Do the specialized water glasses like the SeaSpecs have any coatings that helps them shed the water easily?

Most days the sun isn't in my eyes riding, but on the bad days... I could really use some glasses.

Thanks for the review Ichorne!

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:23 am

i wore them for a week in islamorada a few weeks back.

no issues under the helmet.

stay on even during some fairly lit up crashes.

no noticable issues with spray / water drops etc. i'm sure they don't repel all water, but i never noticed it as an issue.

my only complaint is i have a big ass melon head. the fixed strap is actually hard to get over my dome. i can get it on, but typically may have to rub some forehead oil off of the inner suface of the lense.

i am probably in the 95th percentile of grandmaster whopperheads, because i'm such a smart mofo. my complaint probably wont impact most riders.

these shades are good and will improve your comfort of your riding.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:23 am

Dax
I don't seem to notice a few droplets on the lens. It is only a real problem if the drops dry and leave salt residue. Then I wash them with soap and everything is fine again.

Seaspecs come with a chemically treated cloth for cleaning which probably repels water but I forgot to take it on my trip. I think some people also use windshield water repelent sold in auto parts tores.

Having said all this, Seaspecs are just polycarbonate sunglasses. But their shape and their strap system makes them much better for kitesurfing than ordinary sunglasses.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

Djizasse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Djizasse » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:25 pm

I wear them everyday, not a problem, when you see guys using some space age shades or even big retro and round orange shades you stop woring about your not so convencional specs ;)

And Dax, as for your question about the sprays in the lenses, just think that it's much better to let the splashes hit the lenses instead of your eyes.
I remember that in strong wind summer days the water splashes sometimes hitted my eyes and it almost hurt, i had to ride with my eyes almost closed, in the end of the session i had 2 red eyes :(
When the water hits the lenses just wipe it with your bare hands, it will still leave water but the wind will blow the remainnants away. If the water dryes on the lenses you can also lick them to remove the salt 8)

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:50 pm

Djizasse wrote:If the water dryes on the lenses you can also lick them to remove the salt 8)
Mmmm, sounds tasty. Think I will pick up a pair for those days when the sun and my kite are in the same spot.

Thanks! :bye:

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:24 am

I read somewhere that these sunglasses can be purchased for under $30 U.S. on an internet site. Does anybody know what on-line store carries them at discount prices?

:roll:

Thanks.

alguaro
Medium Poster

Postby alguaro » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:11 pm

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:34 am

Alguaro,

Thanks for the link:

Kiteboarding sunglasses
*Blue Frame comes with AMBER lenses. Black Frame comes with dark GREY lenses.
*Floating Sunglasses excellent for Kiteboarding or Paragliding or any water sports

*Soft nose cushion with easy adjust strap system

*Very hard to loose the sunglasses when the adjust strap system is activated.

*Intake vents channel airflow across leneses to virtually eliminate fogging.

*100% protection from UVA and UVB Rays

To keep all sunglasses from FOGGING, make sure to rub RAINX or Defogger solutions on the sunglasses before you go kiteboarding!

Special: Special: $24.95
Sugg. Retail: $49.95

Everything is good except they are not polarized. I love my polorized sunglasses as I get to see the marine life as I cruise the beaches. For $25, I am tempted evem though they are not polarized. They look the same.

vs

$70

Return to “Reviews”