Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

North Vegas 16...

Postby Wetstuff » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:19 pm

I fell in love with this kite on the second sine. It's wonderfully fast! ...probably half again as fast as my Rhino2-16. I can fly it straight up and down with my hands at the ends of an old 82cm North bar. I'll make a second set of rear pigtails, and use a shorter bar for windy days, so I can slow it down.

It's appears its draft is deeper than the R2, and there's many upgraded quality details. I especially like their adding the larger, second main bladder valve toward the end rather than the center - this way I can roll the kite in only one direction. It's already got the 5th attachment..

My first go was in 6-10kt winds and I didn't have my directional, so I lost a bit of gound on each tack. (I'm 85 kilos) ..but the kite was fast enough that I could get my AW up and park it in the 10kt gusts. (gusts indeed...)

I could do without the sleezy Vegas association, but it's a helluva kite.

Jim

Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:00 pm

Wetstuff,

Glad to hear you like it! Any chance you've flown the Vegas 18 also? Thoughts?

Thanks!
-H :thumb:

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:52 am

Hech: No such luck. I wait for the gods to align the planets so I find a deal I cannot pass up - only the V16 came up recently. This is the only Vegas in my local crew.

Actually, I got a Takoon Skoop 14.5 a couple of weeks ago for $375. - that's another interesting kite, but not the balanced kite this V16 seems to be. ...besides I still have an R2-20, so the 18 would be a real indulgence. (what kites are not, eh?)

I got suckered into the last breath of wind for a couple of days and went out in falling winds of 6-7kts on a 7-3 Mini-Malibu. DUMB - waste of time..

The only thing worth reporting is that it's a very easy relaunch... I cannot wait for some wind.

Jim

Westkite
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Westkite » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:45 am

Sounds like your getting pretty good low end on the v16. how do you compare it to your r2 16? I got great low end out of the r2 16, but my vegas 18 just doesn't really have much grunt under 12 mphs. I wonder if the v16 isn't the more powerful of the two. the 18 moves really fast but in the lite stuff it doesn't develop much power.

Wes

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:13 pm

Wes: The R2-16 is the better low end kite between the R2-20 and the R2-16..."for me" - because it seems the most grunty of all my 14-20 kites, and unlike the 20 - I can make it fly reasonably fast with that big bar. "IF" I can get it to zenith without walking backwards on the water - I can kite. The big thrill comes when you zoom it thru the powerzone on a rising horizontal - buckle up!!

I've only flown the V-16 twice for about three hours in really crappy condtions and I didn't take Jeeves away from making afternoon tea to blow up another kite...so, the V-16 maaaay not have the pure bottom end of the R2-16 but my feeling is that I'll be out with the Windwings, etc. when the wind fills in - instead of feeling like I'm back on a foil.

Three knots today and Sunday...and Winter's coming! C'monnn!

Jim

Return to “Reviews”