North Rhino 05

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
blondin
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby blondin » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:41 pm

Wawando wrote:Hi,
R05 16m LE is REALLY thin! Here is a pic comparing to r04 12m (12vs16).

I wonder how will it be in the air :thumb:

i wait my r04 14 ....(2 month warranties / 6 month / 30 sessions..... :thumb: 2 repairs(rocket explode... rocket tip rib my leading edge..)
with this train there, it will be like new in 2007
northkiteboarding changed manufacturing for 2005/2006 ?
:o

blondin
Medium Poster

Postby blondin » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:29 pm

afflicted... I am hyper happy by the r04, I have just resold my r04 18... but so disappointed by durability. my takoon skoop 1 8.9 of 2002 considered fragile is almost as new.... no repair....
I tested a skoop2 yesterday! even feeling that with my r04! speed and lift,great wind range ! .... I think that I will repurchase takoon http://www.takoon.com ...

in 2002, I had a problem of spi (a seam which had released.... as on my r04.. ) on my skoop 14.3.. 1 month after I received a new from it...

bye north ... :thumb:

I have really the impresion to have been made nice person of 1380 eu :thanx:

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:35 am

blondin wrote:afflicted... I am hyper happy by the r04, I have just resold my r04 18... but so disappointed by durability. my takoon skoop 1 8.9 of 2002 considered fragile is almost as new.... no repair....
I tested a skoop2 yesterday! even feeling that with my r04! speed and lift,great wind range ! .... I think that I will repurchase takoon http://www.takoon.com ...

in 2002, I had a problem of spi (a seam which had released.... as on my r04.. ) on my skoop 14.3.. 1 month after I received a new from it...

bye north ... :thumb:

I have really the impresion to have been made nice person of 1380 eu :thanx:
It is incredible... I tried a Skoop2 & Globerider recently and feel they have NOTHING to do with r04! Nothing!
I think that takoon looks promissing this year, but i will not leave my norths... UNLESS MY 12M TAKES MORE TIME TO BE REPLACED! What the f*** are they waiting for???

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:24 am

if your r05 12 are changed (in france no change ... only repair...) ... there is no equity on all the users!
I am a good customer this year(2004): R04 18 & 14 with jaime pro 128
you find that normally that I had two months of warranties in 6 months after 30 session! :evil:
if I fell on a bad series one should change it to me!

by way of comparison my x3 14 after one year was like new! no repair because correct use (as r04...) aggggrhah that irritates me too much!
it is my opinion and my experiment on this brand
if you find that normal..... and well...

the r05 can only be better than the r04 .... i hope :bye:

that falls well, I will be available for the two next months in order to sail with the r04.... by hoping that it will not have other problems if not....

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:59 pm

Hi!
My situation is very simple: the kite came with a construction error that i imagine that occurs every now and then in EVERY brand (i talked to some guys of other brands and the answer was simple: it happends from time to time; i just replace them). It is a pain in the ass problem. It must be replaced by one that works as it should. Period. If not, i don't want it and will ask for my money back. I will not keep a repaired brand new kite. Period. I already have a R04 repaired because of a construction fault. No more. That is it. I just wonder what am i waiting for!
The kite is fabulous. I had bad luck. All 04 problems seem to have been corrected: LE more reinforced; extra reinforcements for possible extra LE stress caused by 5thE; the guys that had too loose valve situations will definitly not have it.
See you!

blondin
Medium Poster

Postby blondin » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:27 pm

Last edited by blondin on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

blondin
Medium Poster

Postby blondin » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:35 am

r05 can use without 5 th element ...

http://www.northkites.com/index.cfm section kite ...

watch picture ... :thumb: 4 lines !

the doctor
Medium Poster

Postby the doctor » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:19 pm

Wawando wrote:Hi,
Now after some sessions with R05: 12-15 knots short session + 13-18 knots huge session + 45min in 20-30 knots (yes 30 gusts) + 2h 13-18 knots.
I think i have a initial picture of the R05.
The main aspect is:
- It turns on a dime! Haven't ridden any mid-low ar kites latelly, so can't judge if it turns faster than the others with this goal...

- Jumps at least as high as R04 (in the 30 session you can imagine the jumps i had. unbeleavable!). This was my main focus in the last sessions as i heard rumors that it jumped less. Don't worry: it doesn't!
- Super easy jumper
- Kiteloops or ride-loops real piece of cake
- Requires more bar "hold".
- Surprised by the lightness of the bar! More present but still light (YES!)
- Very good depower (as long as you push the bar up). On-Off very evident . Can't say that is has a hyper astronomic one as i haven't made a direct-face-to-face test with the R04 (will try to do it this weekend).
- I found myself never having to adjust the depower strap (wierd...)
- When compared to a "traditional high ar kite" the other feels like a truck! Really impressive: after 2h session with R05 i changed to compare and couldn't beleave it.
- Constant pull in the turns (now i understand what this means)
- Hangtime if you hold the bar or use the microloop is very good. If you don't you drop down.
- Definitly better low end
- 5thE passing through the microloop is reducing the usage of the microloop... must take it out of there...
- After a couple of session, depower rope shows some wearout... must wax it... humpf...
About the 5thE, to tell you the truth i ignore it... Maybe i get more risks now that i have it... only time will tell. Still have to test if it is well tuned (stopper ball)... Still don't know if it is enlarging the top end of the kite. In the 30 gusts day i pulled 5th line once to killl a hypergust and it worked as expected :D

I don't have the feeling "oh my god this is really a super evolution" like i had with R04.

When compare R05 to R04, i would describe the R04 as a softer kite. I don't know exactly why, but it is softer...

I might prefer R05 to R04, but must ride more and get back to R04 to be sure. The improved turning speed is something that i imagine i will not want to let go!

Left turning tendency problem is still there and too evident. I am waiting for a "expert kite corrector" to find what i am doing wrong. But to tell you the truth, after having and riding so many kites and tested all the adjustments, i know this one has some problem and will have to be exchanged.

I am very happy with my new toy (really liking the color of it :thumb:)! hehehe! Very curious about the 16!

I have put some pics with comments here: http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/albuv79

I hope this helps!
Wich you were using 16 or 12
Wind range for both please

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:56 pm

Hi!

From my experience until now:
R05 12m 14-25 knots
R05 16m 11 (steady & almost only cruising)-20 knots

Is is about the same of last year. The difference i note is that at the bottom of the windrange you have more power and at the top it depowers better. This because Bar input has much more influence on how the kite flies and its power. The "security" feeling at top end is really impressive.

I had more powered sessions on both (30 knots on 12m 8) ) but i think these are the usable values for my weight/board/ability.

See you!

Freddy B
Frequent Poster

Postby Freddy B » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:23 am

First time reading this review and as always Wawando, great input. I'm thinking of getting the 16/12/9 quiver and maybe waiting on the 9m to save some money. Very interested to hear if you've been back on your R4s for a couple of sessions to see what if anything the R5 is mising. I plan to do this once I pick mine up, but I've found that waiting until late spring to get the new model, North seems to have fixed the reinforcement or wear as well as any other problems with the kite.

In regards to the 5th element and micro loop, I'm thinking a 3pronged hook would fix the problem of twist and allow you to use it more. I wouldn't imagine that you need the mirco loop as much though on the lower AR kite since you always have the powered feel.

Return to “Reviews”