Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
heffe
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby heffe » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:29 am

="rubberbanman"

Heffe,
The bar I was use to was the standard naish bar. I would normally ride with the bar sheeted out to the knot and use the depower strap to tune the kite. I would only pull the bar in when I needed a little extra power or when wanting to turn down wind. With the CC bar you can leave the bar anywhere along it's 20+ inches of travel. So, when you are riding and the wind starts to get stronger or you hit a big gust you simply push the bar away slightly to sheet out the kite. If the wind lightens up you pull the bar towards you. The double pully system makes it so that this can all be done with one hand and it takes very little pressure to push away or pull in. Once I got use to it I have never been so comfortable riding in gusty conditions with one hand. I have heard some say that it only took them 30 minutes to get use to the system. It took me a little longer, but I can honestly say I can't imagine going back to my old setup.
-marin
Marin,
Interesting, I ride on the knot also.

Couple questions for ya

-Would this hold position even in a big gust or was there a little "play" in it?

-Do you have any pics of your bar by chance? It looks like 2 lines go thru it and meet at a block (spinny thing on your side of the bar).

-Is there a model # on the Harken (block at the top)?

It's prob a Harken 2658 - http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm? pid=27429

Or a Harken 2656 - http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=28274+

And yes...they look a like.

Has me very curious...tend to build my own stuff custom on top of a Longhorn bar (hey, we all have our bar preferences).

(I did ask WW if they sold the sheeting sys ala carte, but they declined...and frankly I haven't seen enough reviews yet...not to mention there is no wind to speak of here; so no way to rest as it is. So for now just collecting impressions and getting a sense of it.)

Thanks for your help, sorry for all the questions.
-H :thumb:

rubberbanman
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rubberbanman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:29 pm

heffe,
actually in a big gust the bar would sheet out a little unless I had moderate hand pressure on it. This was one of those getting use to kinds of things. I got to were I really liked this since for me a little sheeting out meant that I was not overpowered through those gusts. If I kept more pressure on bar It would not sheet out at all. This was all easily done riding one handed.

I have not taken any pictures and have packed away my kite stuff (no kiting for a few months anyway). I followed the link to the picture of the harken and it "looks" the same.

PS: How do you include someones comments in your reponse in a nice box, the way you did. The closest thing I have been able to do is choose the quote button when responding, but it simply puts quotes around the post i'm responnding to.
-thank

heffe
Frequent Poster

Postby heffe » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:59 pm

="rubberbanman"]heffe,
actually in a big gust the bar would sheet out a little unless I had moderate hand pressure on it. This was one of those getting use to kinds of things. I got to were I really liked this since for me a little sheeting out meant that I was not overpowered through those gusts. If I kept more pressure on bar It would not sheet out at all. This was all easily done riding one handed.

I have not taken any pictures and have packed away my kite stuff (no kiting for a few months anyway). I followed the link to the picture of the harken and it "looks" the same.

PS: How do you include someones comments in your reponse in a nice box, the way you did. The closest thing I have been able to do is choose the quote button when responding, but it simply puts quotes around the post i'm responnding to.
-thank
Marin,

Thanks for the insight, appreciated!
-H

P.S. The quote function used to work before the forum crashed, now it requires a little hand-coding. If you hit the "quote" button it looks like this

rubberbanman wrote: text text text

If you add a bracket ] after quote above it looks like this
="rubberbanman"] text text text
and then I just cleaned it up to look like this
="rubberbanman"
text text text
Hope that helps!
:thumb:

Return to “Reviews”