Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
noody
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pulley Bars ?

Postby noody » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:31 pm

Can you please tell me how, and why a pulley bar works. What are its benefits over a standard four line control bar.

'caneman
Medium Poster

Postby 'caneman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:25 am

pulley bars are better than standard chicken loop bars when you have consistant wind. when it starts to get really gusty, chicken loop is better. Now pulley bars are basicly power steering for kites. when you turn using a regular bar, the power lines lengthen and shorten bcause they get pulled the same as your turning lines, so you lose power turning. A pulley bar stops this effect from happening thus more power during turn and more speed turning. Another reason pulleys are liked is because there is no center line disrupting your hand movment across the bar, which helps for handle passes and only using one hand on the bar during jumps ect. Also gives it that wakeboarding handle feel. I personally flew my CL bar using the fixed loop all the time so i am switching to pulley. For all intensive purposes, if you have consistant wind get a pulley, it will make you a better kiter as you will have to learn better edge control when the random gusts do hit instead of letting out on your CL. hope that is a good enough explanation. happy flying

noody
Medium Poster

Postby noody » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:10 am

Thanks for the explanation, I am a little slow on the uptake so I'm still trying to figure out what happens and why.

Since I moved from Naish Aero's to Wipika Matrix I have noticed the tendency to stall on the bottom turn if you have any tension at all on the back lines and unfortunately I still have the habit of hanging onto my bar.

Also, even though I shortened the chicken loop a little and lowered the top stopper I find my arms are not long enough particularly when I am cranked right out and trying to hold the edge.

Maybe this is a problem most of us have and I didnt get used to it yet.

You know, sometimes I feel I need a good slap because I cannot get out of the habit of hanging on to the bar. When I do leave it alone, things feel so much better and more relaxed.

clyde harris

pully bars

Postby clyde harris » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:48 am

having a pulley bar in your quiver of kites and bars is good to have. like caneman explaned the pulley bar dramatically speeds responce to your kite. with good wind i love it. it starts to get gusty lay on your back foot or switch to a chick loop. pray for wind.

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:18 am

Another thing that the pulley bar is good for is light wind. Since it speeds up the kite, I have found that I can ride in less wind. Especially when I add line extensions for 33m lines. I can ride my r2 20m on long lines with only a 45cm bar. Usually I ride it on a 60cm with a chicken loop. its a killer on the legs though when its windy.

- DC

Return to “Reviews”