Naish Raven

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Jesper
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jesper » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:52 pm

But the Primadonna is a newschool/Wake kite isn't it? not really a fair comparison there?

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:57 pm

Jesper: why?

Jesper
Medium Poster

Postby Jesper » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:41 pm

of course you can compair a mid aspect wake kite to a high aspect, but the mid kites naturally(usually) turn faster than the High aspect....so, wouldnt it be more fair to compair high/high aspect instead of high/mid...aah it doesen't really matter, just as you're happy with your kite :bye:

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:46 am

Hi,

New kites have similar AR wherther they are jumping/hangtime machines or wake kites.
For example, the Rhino05 and Vegas05 differ mainly on the profile that is designed more for jump and hangtime or ease of use.
Raven and Torch are not much different too.

What i want to say is that these days (2005) all kites should turn very fast. They are no longer like it used to be one or two years ago where high jumping kites had high AR so pivoting was obviouslly worse than a more closed (lower ar) kite.

See you!

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:24 pm

Had a splendid session on the Raven 16 on wednesday. Kiteloops are very good with this kite! Power but not too much and a steeady pull. I was a bit afraif at first but as it turned out it was no problem. Kite sure is very sweet. Plenty of time during transitions, unhooked good controllable power and nice sweet floaty jumps!

the doctor
Medium Poster

Postby the doctor » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:28 pm

xray wrote:How about your experiences with jumping and hang time?
With RRD ZH is the last jumping machine,
I tried on 10-20 knots and was unbelivable

zgordoignite
Rare Poster

Postby zgordoignite » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:50 am

Hello everybody,
I have been kiting on X2's for the last couple seasons. Seasonal Kiter. I'm ready to try something new. I weight 215lbs and had 4 kites quiver hoping to down size to three. Thinking about 10-14-18 Raven or Vegas. Are the Ravens considered a high aspect like the x2. Basically I would like something more forgivening to build my confidence. I was pretty intent with x2 until getting yarded while doing kite loops. Sorta took the wind out my sails. I here positive feedback on the vegas but I never flown one. I like the boost that I was able to get with x2 are the new school kites still boostable. Will the 18 Raven be good low end kite?

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:20 pm

If you watch both kites whilest riding, the projected area is quite similar in outline on Raven and Primadonna. Without taking any new school potential from Primadonna, I´d rather quote the performance criterias VERY VERY quick turning high AR. Never went upwind better on a 12m kite whatever it was supposed to be in marketing terms.
Guys, you need to testride more stuff. Nevertheless I feel up to date with regards to any informations available in mags and online forums the live experience and personal preferences can´t be compensated. It´s a second time I sell a full quiver of high rated brandnew kites as I found something of much better liking. 5 minutes on the water wiped away weeks of winterly online investigations .. ;-)

zgordoignite
Rare Poster

Postby zgordoignite » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:07 am

Foxi it sounds like you get a chance to test a lot kites. I really don't have that liberty. So kinda have to get a general consensus beforing laying down the greenbacks. If I was reading your post right you were more satisfied with the primadonna than the ravens or some other kites. They were that much better to sell instantly.

Biel
Rare Poster

Postby Biel » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:43 pm

Here are my short written view on the R05 and Raven

I tried the Naish Raven and the R05. Here my 120 kgs experiences with the two kites.

Raven:
- Higher AR
- Moderate steeringpower needed (althoug much less than X4)
- Feels like a high performance kite

R05:
- Moderate AR
- No steering power needed (felt actually like bridles)
- More of an allround kite.

Tried the Raven 16 and was surpriced. Others 40kg+ below me used the same size or bigger! I was using the way to soft Thorn 132 board. Actually I was able to stay upwind although "sinusing" - normally that is only possible when using 12 and down. I think its because of the narrow frontbladder. The kite showed NO signs of wobbling or twisting when I really pushed it (eg. the X3 was looking like a cloth when I did the same things to it, and was unable to produce any power at all). Jumping was promising but I wasn´t really powered.

The R05 was really nice as well. It is way more an allround kite. That kite really jumps nice, but the low AR makes the jumps longer - that means you get up really high and then floaths with the wind because the R05 sits a little further behind in the window.

So IMO you should look at yourself. Do you want to do more freestyle go for the R05. If you like to push your limits in sailing/Old school (upwind, windrange, jumping), I would go for the Raven.

CBIEL

Return to “Reviews”