Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

2004 Nemesis 18

Postby Wetstuff » Sat May 28, 2005 12:56 pm

I started a thread "Best damn $250 kite I ever bought", or some such...but I had never flown it. This kite was one of the 'house, demo. team' kites Best sold off early this Spring.

I got the first chance to fly it yesterday and I was well impressed. It's average construction, nothing in it that wasn't already done in 2002 and fewer goodies than a 2004 North I have.

It's from the high aspect/thin main tube design school and in the very marginal conditons I was in - sub-10kts - it performed great. I was able, with a very long bar and a directional board, to get something out of an absolute nothing-day.

All the other kites I've owned from 16 thru 20 would have fallen out of the sky. This kite will hang where most will not. I'm looking forward to using it in some real air.

I'm the only one among my local crew who has a Best kite and I've needed to make an apology to the ladies in our group who may think I'm one of the Best gavonnes, but it's like the rumor that you smack your wife around - nobody looks at you the same anymore. Best would have sold a bunch more kites, at least around here, had they not seemed so Florida about it.

Buy this kite - if you can get a good deal on one.

Jim
Last edited by Wetstuff on Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby ryansurf1 » Sat May 28, 2005 3:18 pm

wetstuff....

best=florida redneck? I don't see the correlation....

and the slur should be more like best=florida Cuben (the country not the fiber)....but still wouldn't see the connection

i have ridden the range of nemesis and liked the 18 the least...? 21 is great for a big kite minus it is a tough upwinder....

and running around the beach apologizing for your kite brand choice...uhm...OK

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon May 30, 2005 4:32 pm

the 21 was always for the bigger guys, the 18 did me just fine, and it's a great stable kite for its size in light winds.

if you like the 18 nemesis stability wise, you'll love the 18bfk, it has impecable manners.

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Mon May 30, 2005 5:06 pm

Didn't say it wasn't a good kite...

it was stable..good pull...nice loft....but

I gained nothing on the bottom end compared to a 16..topped out faster and flew like a big kite..obviuosly...21 on the other hand is great, except it pulls down wind...

mine was more towards WS...his reviews are as much a stab at the brand as they are about the kite....

What bafles me is why continue to by the brand if you are embarrassed to fly them...don't like their frat boy image....and the demeaning of women?

are you willing to compromise your morals for a few $....

I am a Florida transplanted Yankee...with a 'redneck' from the sun beating down on me 12 months out of the year...we should all be so lucky.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Tue May 31, 2005 4:42 pm

I like the kite. I really liked the $250 price. I also - somewhat less so - liked the 11M Yarga I bought new for $500 - the guy who bought it for $400 likes it too.

I got a chance to fly the 18 again over the weekend. It's the Gray-on-Gray coloring which also looks really good in the sky. (that mean's something to me). Winds were also sub-10 to start but after about three hours of putzing around it came up and was gusting to about 20. Too much for as tired as I was and beyond its depower range for my size. Still, it flys great.

I'm not going to fly a kite with a swasitka or Bush's picture on it, but I'll fly any $250 kite I can get. I'm only saying; had they acted more like normal business people (..and I don't mean charge $1300 per kite) and less like white-rappers, I'm convinced they would be twice the size they already are.

jim

...Still: buy one of these if you get a good deal on one. It's a good kite.

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Tue May 31, 2005 5:15 pm

WS...fair enough...not like you need my acknowledgement....

solid large kites for $250...yeah not to bad'a deal....

what the hell are gavonnes?...

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:21 pm

Gavonne is Italian for low-class lout. I'm sure not everyone who flys them measures down to this level, nor everyone who flys Brand Y is a prince.

jim

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:00 pm

right'o Jim...thanks

Return to “Reviews”