All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I will when I can get out on it. The attachment point, as far as I can remember now there is one attachment point. It looks like it is sewn in the same way as the Nemesis.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:37 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey Alex, any news on you Viper Venom.

The comments I have heard so far about the Venom have been all good but I am hanging out for your thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

hey I had the chance to get out on it yesterday. It was really a mixed experience.
The wind was super gusty, and the windgraph is underreporting...but attached under (I was riding from maybe 4.30-6.30pm).
Here goes:
First session I pump it up, attach my slingshot online to the kite (for the first time) and launch it. I rode it back and forth for a bit to get the feel..it was pretty nervous in the gusts. I can see a squall comming (not one of those super hard ones) so go far out to ride it out. The kite works fine I never have to depower and I rode the squally winds and rain off easily. However right after something weird happens...it fold up midair..to the extent where the wingtips meet (instead of a C..picture an O). I flew it like that for maybe 10 seconds before I got it back to normal flying C again by yanking the lines a bit. So I continued my riding, but of course after a squall like that the wind dies a little and I went in. When I came in to land the kite lost all its power, turned upside down and started falling..I ofcourse ran backwards pulling the backline line to make it turn and catch wind again. I gained control before it hit water.

Okay that was two "semi-scary / odd" moments in a short period of time. I am not sure why it happended, but I had too little air in the main bladder leading to the O shape. And the wetness of the kite combined with little wind caused it too fall...

I pumped up the kite some more (note to self..need PSI gauge), and picked up a bigger board (135). The wind came back, and I decided to try my luck again. MUCH BETTER>> I was riding comfortably back and forth,
The wind picked up more and I got one really nice jump..one of those big (for me) floaty jumps. The second session was a lot better.

So from this session...the kite can handle a lot of wind, it is still fairly nervous and scream to the edge of the window in the gusts...yesterday was very unstable. I did feel perfectly comfortable in the gusts, but it was kindof a bumpy ride between the chop and nervous kite...I am still deciding on this kite...and definitely need more experience with the kite. It does have the characteristics of a high aspect kite, although it does not look like it. It still look pretty cool :-)
It actually turns fairly fast with not much bar pressure. I would like to get more feedback if the kite is oversheeted. Even when very oversheeted the kite does not flare, but it still looses its power.

Note that it took me some time to get used to my Best 14 which I now really like.

alex

Attachments:
windgraph.gif
windgraph.gif [ 17.79 KIB | Viewed 1230 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:35 am 
Rare Poster

I noticed the first few times that If I did not pump it hard enough the LE was a bit flexable, but i have never seen it fold though.
I usually pump it up to between 5 and 6 PSI. I think it is to do with the smaller le diameter. first few times I was pumping the same as a Slingshot and it never felt as stable or locked as when i pumped it hard.

Like you I have noticed the kite has a good wind range, it races to the edge of the window if you really load up your edge.

I like the fact that it does not flare because the is not the feeling of power coming on and off suddenly just a transition from power on to power off.

Try it on waves man, that depower is great.

The 14 rocks too, better kite than the 12, huge wind range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

hehe, if I get another kite now I will be living on the street before I receive it. even if I got the kite 3 or 4 days after i paid...considering I had to wait 8 weeks for my best kite that is pretty good.

How tight are you using your 5th line on it? I have a onEline system that I am using on it, but I kept on adjusting as the wind changed...which I guess is normal....

..and I guess I know what you mean with the transition of power...that is kind of like the BFK..

I am looking forward to trying it in waves. I am still waiting for my kite-surf board...underground is taking forever shipping the thing out.

I am guessing I need some more sessions on it before I decide 100% ...but then again for that price...

alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:29 pm 
Rare Poster

Being that I am not an overly technical person I am using the centre line quite slack.

When I am sheeted fully in I have no tension on the centre line, maybe 20mm of slack.
I have set it up like the instruction on the website.
I guess I am just using it as a safety feature not for depower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Whale..where did you find the manual? I might be blind, but I can't seem to find it.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:01 am 
Rare Poster

yeah man.
If you go to their web site, go to Bars and just above the pic of the bar is a button "5th line system" or something. Ther is some setup detail in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

got another session today. Super nice for almost 2 hours!!!!

Big difference, it did not rain. As a dry kite it is very well behaved, jumps perfectly no weird stuff. Fast turning, easy in the gusts. I still have to work on the wave riding...got some 3-5 foot sets coming in, but I am really not very good at riding in the waves especially with a small board (still waiting for my underground kite-surf board).
I just had an absolutely wonderful time today. I am getting more used to the fact the you really can't see very well when the kite is oversheeted...but you do feel it. Got some nice air today, even practiced some new stuff...

The kite behaves completely different when it is not wet. I crashed the kite once, it did change behavior a little. I am not sure, but it seems that the material is a little different than other kites...it feels like a material that Gaastra use(d).
This is not the first kite that changes behavior when it is wet...most kites do...but some more than others.

Overall this session really improved my opinion on the kite A LOT!!! I like this kite. Sigh...all I want to do now is to go back out...but I have to wait until tomorrow.

a.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

///got another session today...I really enjoyed it. The kite behaved very well in semi-gusty Mokuleia conditions. Actually the wind seemed fairly steady, got to try it in super small surf and nice nice airs on it. It is a very well behaved kite. Just remember to pump up the leading edge..hard. It turn very fast. I am happy now :-)

a.

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next